Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anderson at the 3

Anderson at the 3

Was just thinking about Monty talking about Anderson having some time at the 3, and my question to everyone here is do you think it has potential or is it a potential flop?

Originally i thought about Anderson getting eaten alive on defense by the opposing 3s, but given that we have Asik and Davis, if he plays good team defence, guiding players into the shot blockers, it might actually be manageable.
    What I'm curious about is offense, will teams guarding Anderson be successful with defensive wings on him to nullify his shooting. If he's too easily shut down on offense the advantage he presents is also cancelled out.

Just random evaluations in my head, what are your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

He will play 3 aginst guys like gallo and deng more 3/4 type player and no 3/2 player like nick young.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He will play 3 aginst guys like gallo and deng more 3/4 type player and no 3/2 player like nick young.
    Ideally, but i think monty is so bone-headed, he'll exclusively play him at the 4&5... He'll probably let him defend dwight howard while he rests asik.

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Ideally, but i think monty is so bone-headed, he'll exclusively play him at the 4&5... He'll probably let him defend dwight howard while he rests asik.
    Monty said Anderson will play some 3 he even had anderson play the 3 at practice yesterday.

In cases where you do have a dynamic 3 , Davis would guard him and ryno would guard the 4. Seems like the most logical

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    positions be damned.... I just hope Monty figures out how to mix and match these players under various circumstances..... with minimal health issues, he has a few really nice toys to play with.... Jimmer being a new one who could prove to be very interesting.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by coreypre View Post
    In cases where you do have a dynamic 3 , Davis would guard him and ryno would guard the 4. Seems like the most logical
    Davis will defend the 4 always, tyreke will start instead of Anderson vs athletic 3s

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Davis will defend the 4 always, tyreke will start instead of Anderson vs athletic 3s
    This.

I also think this is there way to ease Anderson into things.
    I don't think they want him going up against the big bruisers at the C spot like he did last season either.

Banned
    I always hated the Hey timeout you can't guard this guy mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Big Omer is great at defending bruising 4 such as zach randolp and blake griffin

My main point in the beginning was that I wasn't really concerned about Anderson defensively because of Davis and Asik as the backline defence.

It's more on the offensive side, that if they stick a 3 to Anderson it may render his 3 point shooting ineffective because he can't get separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    My main point in the beginning was that I wasn't really concerned about Anderson defensively because of Davis and Asik as the backline defence.

It's more on the offensive side, that if they stick a 3 to Anderson it may render his 3 point shooting ineffective because he can't get separation.
    Where have you been the past 2 years they always stick
    a 3 on Anderson. Aminu was a non threat so they pit guys like Deng and Wilson Chandler to gused him.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Where have you been the past 2 years they always stick
    a 3 on Anderson. Aminu was a non threat so they pit guys like Deng and Wilson Chandler to gused him.

Exactly, so my point is then do you think having Anderson at the 3 for spurts is an advantage or disadvantage, do you think there are ways to counter that particular defensive move to get looks for Ryno, or its it not worth the effort.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think that we are talking about probably 3 minute spurts at SF tops. Really don't feel it's that big of a deal either way.

Yeah just saw mm's post on another thread, about 6-8 minutes a game so no biggie , really intrigued with the line up though because it's like the opposite of what most teams do in playing small ball

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    Exactly, so my point is then do you think having Anderson at the 3 for spurts is an advantage or disadvantage, do you think there are ways to counter that particular defensive move to get looks for Ryno, or its it not worth the effort.
    It will be a advantage for us due to our other lack of options.

I really think Anderson and Evans will have to get all the minutes at SF. No viable options at this point. Our DC would look like this:

C - Asik, Davis
    PF - Davis, Anderson
    SF - Evans, Anderon
    SG - Gordon, Evans
    PG - Holiday, Rivers

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    I really think Anderson and Evans will have to get all the minutes at SF. No viable options at this point. Our DC would look like this:

C - Asik, Davis
    PF - Davis, Anderson
    SF - Evans, Anderon
    SG - Gordon, Evans
    PG - Holiday, Rivers
    Ajinca will get minutes with this team. And one of those backup 3's will probably get 8-14 off the bench. Hopefully, closer to 8
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Ajinca will get minutes with this team. And one of those backup 3's will probably get 8-14 off the bench. Hopefully, closer to 8
    That's true. I hope both Ajinca and one of the other SFs only get 8 minutes each. I'm hoping Rivers can be thre primary option at either guard spot after the big 3 (Holiday, Gordon, Evans).

If Anderson plays the three, he'll:

A. Be defending non-threats, ie guys like Aminu was on our team (or, heck ... Aminu himself in Dallas) and/or
    B. Be defending power forwards; Davis would be asked to check the more skilled 3's, if he's able.

I like that Monty is thinking outside the box, at least, and trying to figure out how to maximize the minutes of his best guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post

C - Asik, Davis
    PF - Davis, Anderson
    SF - Evans, Anderon
    SG - Gordon, Evans
    PG - Holiday, Rivers
    It's not going to look like that. Jimmer, Ajinca, and Salmons will get minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    It's not going to look like that. Jimmer, Ajinca, and Salmons will get minutes.
    I would like to switch Salmons with Babbitt at this point based on the preseason. Though I have a worrying feeling Salmons is about to become this years Brian Roberts/Willie Green, the vet player monty relates to and thus gives far too many minutes and trust to.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I would like to switch Salmons with Babbitt at this point based on the preseason. Though I have a worrying feeling Salmons is about to become this years Brian Roberts/Willie Green, the vet player monty relates to and thus gives far too many minutes and trust to.
    I'm not excited about Salmons, said that when we first signed him. I just find it hard to think that we signed Monty's friend to a 2mil deal and he won't play.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    1 -Holiday
    2- Evans
    3- Anderson
    4- Davis
    5- Asik

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    1 -Holiday
    2- Evans
    3- Anderson
    4- Davis
    5- Asik