Pelicans Report

Thread: Russ Smith

Russ Smith

Just wondering what your guys/ladies think of his potential, and value is long term?

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Just wondering what your guys/ladies think of his potential, and value is long term?
    How could this question be answered with any legitimacy until we see him in regular season games against quality nba competition? Until then its pure speculation.

Im high on him he has great penetration skill and great on ball D. I think he won't get much playing tI me early in the season bUT by Jan he will replacE jimmer or Austin as primary back up.

1-6

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He's asking based off of strictly potential. So based off of what you have seen in college and summer league/preseason. It might not be popular because everyone wants every player to be a star, but I can see Russ Smith developing into a pretty good backup PG. I like his defensive potential. I think he may need to put on a little bit (not too much) of weight to avoid taking a beating on the offensive end but I think he makes Rivers expendable and wouldn't be surprised if this is Rivers last year here. I don't expect him to get much PT this season. Needs to learn how to be a complete player on offense. If so we will have a nice little PG off the bench.

I see patrick beverly potential

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    He has good defense but how will he do against nba players? He is great on the fast break. He's very confident and athletic. I think he could be a contributor and if coached well he could be an above average backup pg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im a big Russ fan and think that by the end of the season will be seeing about 10-15 minutes a game and have nestled into that backup pg role very nicely. Expecting big things from Russ in the long term something like 14 ppg, 7 apg, 2-3 stpg, 4-5 rpg, type of range. He'll be great defensively one day, wont be surprised to see him on multiple all NBA Def. Teams during his career. He'll be a starter one day for some team somewhere, we have jrue, and smith will get a big contract in a few years that we wont match, that is saying that jrue stays healthy and we make the playoffs year to year and he wants to stay and everybody's value rises exponentially at some point.... we'll lose a few guys in this fashion, both rookies this year being among them in young and russ. they both have great long term potential.

Banned
    Russ will be a defensive spark off the bench in spurts. He has a long way to go running a team. He can come in when the team is lacking effort and make a mark on the game.

Based on his on court play so far not ready for prime time. DNP Coaches decision over/under 70?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's a student of the game by all accounts. So I think he can become a quality contributor.

Thanks for the opinions, Maybe the most impressive aspect to me is how he carries himself, confident minus the cockyness. Seems to be a soild "Team" guy, and likely to fit in "personality-wise" great with the Pelicans. I haven't seen him play much in college, though I was acutely aware of his leadership abilities and poise in big games, And have not seen him play any since going pro, but feel like he has that "It" factor that can't be coached. Whatever his celing is, he'll reach it if not blow through it. I'm sure it's premature, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player we'll be saying "Russ could be good/great if only "_______"....

Geaux Pels..

Thread Information