Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MONTY - Tyreke is playing the 3

MONTY - Tyreke is playing the 3

Looks like alot of speculation is now settled. Per Monty interview over the weekend, Tyreke is playing the 3 and coming off the bench. Monty says he see alot of opportunity for him with the second unit.

Puts to rest alot of the Eric Gordon off the bench and Tyreke at the 2 speculation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Coming off the bench to play the 3? Who is the starting SF then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes no sense. If we are going to play him at the 3 why not start him? Rivers and Russ smith are capable of beating their defenders off the dribble to set Anderson up off the bench. We start tyreke if we want to get out to quick starts and we don't start him if we want to play catch-up ball.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    This makes no sense. If we are going to play him at the 3 why not start him? Rivers and Russ smith are capable of beating their defenders off the dribble to set Anderson up off the bench. We start tyreke if we want to get out to quick starts and we don't start him if we want to play catch-up ball.
    Here is the quote from the TP, looks like he is starting but Monty envisions him playing alot with the second unit.

"Tyreke right now in my head, that's where he is going to play (at small forward)," Williams said. "Playing Tyreke at the three for 30 or 35 minutes doesn't benefit him to go down there and bang with 6 (feet) 8 or 6 (feet) 9 guys who can go down there and post him up. Conversely those guys have to guard him in transition and in pick and roll.

"Do we have a prototype three? No. But we have some guys who can play that position. And we are still trying to see who can back up Tyreke at that spot and be effective with the second unit."

Here is the quote from the TP, looks like he is starting but Monty envisions him playing alot with the second unit.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    I actually do not like Reke as a player but if the alternative is Rivers & Russ, Reke to the 2nd unit it is. I have zero faith in Rivers' skills or ability or his mythical work ethic that only translates in Orlando rec leagues.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

He gets 30 there and 4-6 at guard. Ryno gets 6-8 at SF, opening up some minutes for Ajinca at Center. So we are looking for a wing to play 10-12 minutes at backup SF.

As I have been saying all along - the SF position is not the 'BIG HOLE' that some are worried it will be. It has no depth, so yes that is a bit of a concern. But when we are healthy, we don't have a lot of minutes going to a below average player anywhere. Big 6 eat up a ton of minutes. Jimmer and Rivers split 20-22 or one of those guys gets all those minutes, and our 3 main bigs hold down the 4 & 5, save for about 8-10 mins where Ajinca gets on the court and is a plus backup.

When healthy, the minute distribution should be fine. But if Tyreke goes down or Eric goes down and Tyreke has to swing to the 2, then we got to hope one of those guys steps up. But if Gordon and Tyreke are active, we have little to nothing to worry about.
    @mcnamara247

So glad Tyreke is coming off the bench. We already have a strong starting 5 with Jrue,Gordon,Salmons,AD,Asik. I think it makes us a stronger team to have Tyreke, Jimmer, Ryno, Rivers, off the bench. Yes we know that Tyreke is a very very good player and can beat anybody off the dribble and get in the lane for an easy score. Why not have him abuse the opposing teams bench players instead of overcrowding the starting lineup and have his stats go down because he won't get as many touches with AD,Jrue, and Gordon in the game.

Oh my god people. Asking for links, then reading them serves a purpose. OP even clarified.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...l#incart_river

New Orleans Pelicans coach Monty Williams unveiled plans on Sunday that Tyreke Evans will be the starting small forward when he returns from a strained right hamstring.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Oh my god people. Asking for links, then reading them serves a purpose. OP even clarified.

No!!! Give opinions first and then read if you have time later on!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    When healthy, the minute distribution should be fine. But if Tyreke goes down or Eric goes down and Tyreke has to swing to the 2, then we got to hope one of those guys steps up. But if Gordon and Tyreke are active, we have little to nothing to worry about.
    Except for the fact that neither play particularly well off the ball?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

lol, it is quite impressive how many people don't actually read a thread.

PG- Jrue Holiday
    SG- Eric Gordon
    SF- Tyreke Evans
    PF- Anthony Davis
    C- Omer Asik

That is your starting lineup. And a darn good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post

PG- Jrue Holiday
    SG- Eric Gordon
    SF- Tyreke Evans
    PF- Anthony Davis
    C- Omer Asik

And imagine researching and writing 3000 words, only to have commenters who clearly didn't read the piece giving their $.02. Causes the hairs to go grey at times.

PG- Jrue Holiday
    SG- Eric Gordon
    SF- Tyreke Evans
    PF- Anthony Davis
    C- Omer Asik

In theory yes.

But surprise surprise, Reke put up his great numbers late last season when Jrue was out and he was starting in the backcourt.

He is not a SF no matter how much we just want him to be that, he plays best when he handles the ball and drives and/or kicks to shooters.

He should come in with Anderson for the second unit and run the show when Jrue is sitting.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

PG- Jrue Holiday
    SG- Eric Gordon
    SF- Tyreke Evans
    PF- Anthony Davis
    C- Omer Asik

I think a lot of folk's problem with Tyreke starting lies on spacing.

What they don't realize is that lineup has plenty of spacing, just not in a conventional manner.

With Tyreke running the offense, you've got Jrue/EJ/Brow that can all shoot and space the floor. You've also got Asik/Davis to grab boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    In theory yes.

But surprise surprise, Reke put up his great numbers late last season when Jrue was out and he was starting in the backcourt.

He is not a SF no matter how much we just want him to be that, he plays best when he handles the ball and drives and/or kicks to shooters.

He should come in with Anderson for the second unit and run the show when Jrue is sitting.
    Who cares about his personal numbers? The offense was great when he was on the floor with Jrue and Gordon. The problem was, and will continue to be, the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Who cares about his personal numbers? The offense was great when he was on the floor with Jrue and Gordon. The problem was, and will continue to be, the defense.
    How many games did those three play together?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    How many games did those three play together?
    Almost as many as Holiday played, iirc.

My guess is that the three guards start. Gordon comes off, along with Asik and Anderson and Salmons comes on around the 6 minute mark

Holiday-Evans-Salmons-Ryno-AD (plenty of spacing)

Then, at beginning of 2nd, you got Jimmer or Rivers with Eric Gordon, Salmons, Ryno, and Ajinca

AD comes back in and Ryno shifts to the 3 for a few minutes. Then, Reke plays the last 6 mins of the half there with the starters.

Banned
    How do Evans and Rivers fit on the floor together.

Checked stats.nba.com. The Jrue/Gordon/Evans lineup played 28 games last season and averaged 9.2 minutes each game. In those 9.2 minutes, they scored 21.2 points. 47.3% FG%, 39.3% from 3 (on 3.2 attempts), and drew 5.9 FTAs which they converted at 82.8%.

The +/- (shock and awe, I actually found a place it could actually be useful), however, was 0.0. Meaning that lineup gave as much as it took.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    How do Evans and Rivers fit on the floor together.
    Like lamb and tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Like lamb and tuna fish.
    That sounds delicious.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Like lamb and tuna fish.
    you can tune a guitar, but you can't tuna lamb....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Well after reading past OP first statement my last comment is irrelevant. Not sure how I like Tyreke starting. I like the idea of having a strong bench. Even though Monty said he sees Tyreke playing a lot with the second unit it's hard to see how Jrue, AD, Tyreke and Gordon all score. But if Warriors Clippers Spurs etc can do it having multiple stars then we should be able to too. So I guess I'll just wait and see how it works out.

If Rivers continues to shot well from spot up 3s, then they can coexist.
    Last edited by Pelicans78; 10-13-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Thread Information