Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rivers trade {edited - speculation}

I'm not trying to analyze him, i'm just responding to the thread of him being traded. I really do not see anyone wanting to trade anything for him. His production has been way below average for anyone in the nba much less for a player picked 10th overall. His numbers are at all time low for NBA production, and they have barely improved. What GM is sitting in his office and saying i want to trade for that, what fan base would be happy that their GM traded anything for him?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA NBA View Post
    I'm not trying to analyze him, i'm just responding to the thread of him being traded. I really do not see anyone wanting to trade anything for him. His production has been way below average for anyone in the nba much less for a player picked 10th overall. His numbers are at all time low for NBA production, and they have barely improved. What GM is sitting in his office and saying i want to trade for that, what fan base would be happy that their GM traded anything for him?
    I'm pretty sure the guy you are discussing those numbers with would agree with you on his trade value. Most people here do.

Not sure about that, if your defending his play you must believe he has trade value because a young player with no trade value has to be a pretty pathetic player.

Not sure about that, if your defending his play you must believe he has trade value because a young player with no trade value has to be a pretty pathetic player.
    No, I defend Rivers all the time but don't think he had any trade value. I like his defense, his ability to get to the rim and his spot-up 3 (which was top 5 in the league last season).

I have hopes that he will become average at the rim and free-throws. Combined with what I said above, that could make him a nice rotation player in the future.

But it is fair (and accurate) to say that he has no trade value right now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Let's get through some regular season games before saying we should trade him, right? lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Banned
    He said he only wants to play one position. Which one is it?

I want to thank you sir for speaking truth about a fan favorite player who's ceiling is probably an average player journeyman. People mistake hate with someone expressing an opinion. Rivers' was historically bad year one. He had no choice but to be better in year two. People are acting like he's about to explode on the league when it's simply not true. His spot up 3 is good. OK, I'll give him that. Let's talk about all the other shots on the court that he sucks at. His defense isn't bad but nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. I will never understand the Rivers' love. Maybe it's his work ethic that people like.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    He said he only wants to play one position. Which one is it?

He better play any position that logs him minutes if he has any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I want to thank you sir for speaking truth about a fan favorite player who's ceiling is probably an average player journeyman. People mistake hate with someone expressing an opinion. Rivers' was historically bad year one. He had no choice but to be better in year two. People are acting like he's about to explode on the league when it's simply not true. His spot up 3 is good. OK, I'll give him that. Let's talk about all the other shots on the court that he sucks at. His defense isn't bad but nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. I will never understand the Rivers' love. Maybe it's his work ethic that people like.
    I think it's the Duke thing. I"m not sure. I try to only comment on what is real and not hope, pray or dream. I comment on reality not wishes upon stars.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think 40.5% from the field is good for 121st in the league. 63.6 FT is good for 118. For a guard, pitiful, beyond horrible for an NBA player.
    36.4 good for 79th, not pretty darn good at all. Below average for a shooting guard.

Numbers are from a Seiko Smith article. There is also a peachbasket.net article that claims his rookie year to be the worst in NBA rookie history. Pretty bad.

Just saying nobody is lining up to trade for that production.
    Let me show you the list of players who shot worse than Rivers last year:

Landry Fields, Rajan Rondo, Jerryd Bayless, Francisco Garcia, Aaron Brooks, Alan Anderso, Harrison Barnes, Travis Outlaw, Jimmy Butler, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Raymond Felton, Chase Budinger, Kemba Walker I could keep going. A lot of those names have been mentioned on here as guys that people want to trade for.

3pt percentages, if you judge him as a SG he ranked 44th out of 108, if you see him as a PG he was 31 out of 100.

I know what the peachbasket.net article said but I like to think for myself. Look at Rivers Rookie year and Anthony Bennett's and tell me which one was worse. Bennett was the #1 overall pick.

Who was defending his play? You said "it's an old article but he hasn't improved much from those numbers."

I was pointing out how that is incorrect, because he definitely improved from the numbers you gave. Never once said that I would not trade him because that's just false. Go back at look at the threads around draft. I was excited at the rumors that had us potentially getting #17 or #22 from Boston or or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Let me show you the list of players who shot worse than Rivers last year:

Landry Fields, Rajan Rondo, Jerryd Bayless, Francisco Garcia, Aaron Brooks, Alan Anderso, Harrison Barnes, Travis Outlaw, Jimmy Butler, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Raymond Felton, Chase Budinger, Kemba Walker I could keep going. A lot of those names have been mentioned on here as guys that people want to trade for.

3pt percentages, if you judge him as a SG he ranked 44th out of 108, if you see him as a PG he was 31 out of 100.

I know what the peachbasket.net article said but I like to think for myself. Look at Rivers Rookie year and Anthony Bennett's and tell me which one was worse. Bennett was the #1 overall pick.
    Thanks for the Bennett comparison, they are both BUMS.

Who was defending his play? You said "it's an old article but he hasn't improved much from those numbers."

I was pointing out how that is incorrect, because he definitely improved from the numbers you gave. Never once said that I would not trade him because that's just false. Go back at look at the threads around draft. I was excited at the rumors that had us potentially getting #17 or #22 from Boston or or something like that.
    It was impossible not improve from his rookie numbers, Bennett will improve from his as well.

Thanks for the Bennett comparison, they are both BUMS.
    I didn't compare them because you can't compare a SG to a PF, but your point was that so and so article said Rivers "rookie year to be the worst in NBA rookie history. Pretty bad." Clearly that's not the case if you take a look at Bennett.

It was impossible not improve from his rookie numbers, Bennett will improve from his as well.
    That's fine, just don't tell me he shot 31% from the field and 53% from the line and "didn't improve much from those numbers".

I didn't compare them because you can't compare a SG to a PF, but your point was that so and so article said Rivers "rookie year to be the worst in NBA rookie history. Pretty bad." Clearly that's not the case if you take a look at Bennett.

That's fine, just don't tell me he shot 31% from the field and 53% from the line and "didn't improve much from those numbers".
    He improved from the worst numbers in league history, to a level that is still absolutely terrible. Now its clarified.

Bennett was not in the league when Rivers was rookie, so at the time Rivers was the worst rookie in history. Got it?

He improved from the worst numbers in league history, to a level that is still absolutely terrible. Now its clarified.
    As long as you admit that the following players and many more are on a level that's absolutely terrible then sure we can make that calrification: Landry Fields, Rajan Rondo, Jerryd Bayless, Francisco Garcia, Aaron Brooks, Alan Anderso, Harrison Barnes, Travis Outlaw, Jimmy Butler, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Raymond Felton, Chase Budinger, Kemba Walker.

Bennett was not in the league when Rivers was rookie, so at the time Rivers was the worst rookie in history. Got it?
    No I got it, I just think it's stupid to ignore the present but harp on the past to cherry pick your point. But I get it. Rivers is the worst player in the history of basketball. Dude couldn't even hold your jock strap. Coming in crystal clear now.

As long as you admit that the following players and many more are on a level that's absolutely terrible then sure we can make that calrification: Landry Fields, Rajan Rondo, Jerryd Bayless, Francisco Garcia, Aaron Brooks, Alan Anderso, Harrison Barnes, Travis Outlaw, Jimmy Butler, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Raymond Felton, Chase Budinger, Kemba Walker.
    Sure, but many of those players do other things on the court that Rivers cannot do. They bring different aspects to help a team win the Rivers does not. Most players on that list are absolutely horrible but some help their team in other ways the Rivers never will. But save for a couple of players on that list i would not want any of them.

Sure, but many of those players do other things on the court that Rivers cannot do. They bring different aspects to help a team win the Rivers does not. Most players on that list are absolutely horrible but some help their team in other ways the Rivers never will. But save for a couple of players on that list i would not want any of them.
    I can agree with this 100%. So let's start discussing what those guys bring differently that Rivers doesn't instead of saying he sucks bc of his %'s, we will probably agree on a lot.

I can agree with this 100%. So let's start discussing what those guys bring differently that Rivers doesn't instead of saying he sucks bc of his %'s, we will probably agree on a lot.
    I doubt it because right now from what i have observed as a season ticket holder since 2002 is i do not think he brings anything special. Anything he may bring it being far outweighed by all of his negatives at this point. His defense is no where near as good as people on the board portray it to be and his offense ineptness is far outweighing any defensive positives. So in sum, to me he brings absolutely nothing special. Rivers is no Rondo, never will be. Will never help a team the way Rondo does. To me, he doesn't compare at all with Jimmy Butler. Does not have Kemba Walkers leadership or quickness. Those are the only three players i think are decent on that list. The rest not worth commenting on.

So in reality I'm saying he sucks because of his percentages and the fact he really doesn't bring anything else to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I agree with your point, but 64% from the line is, in fact, horrible for a guard.
    His shooting action was a piece of **** is why and now it's a bit improved, but his supporting arm elbow still sticks out way too much.

No I got it, I just think it's stupid to ignore the present but harp on the past to cherry pick your point. But I get it. Rivers is the worst player in the history of basketball. Dude couldn't even hold your jock strap. Coming in crystal clear now.
    Nothing to do with me, this is just pure facts from his rookie year performance. Haha, why you making this personal. Rivers played bad not me.

So in reality I'm saying he sucks because of his percentages and the fact he really doesn't bring anything else to the table.
    Let me ask you 3 questions.

1. Do you think his defense sucks?
    2. Do you think he doesn't have handles/quickness and therefore can't get to the basket?
    3. Do you think he can't shoot the 3 ball?

Thread Information