Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rivers trade {edited - speculation}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Rivers trade {edited - speculation}

I think rivers may be traded soon. Tell me why he wouldn't be. I can't see a reason for not trading him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think we could get for him exactly? And no I do NOT think we'll trade him.

He has no value to get amy thing in return.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He has no value to get amy thing in return.
    I love him to death, but pretty much this.

I haven't seen Rivers play this preseason (and as we all know, preseason tells you everything that you need to know about a player) but I think Rivers will come into his own in this his 3rd year. It has to. If there is one thing he can really get from having Jimmer on the team it's that shoulder to lean on in terms of one rookie bust telling another rookie bust how to get through things (and I am not saying that in a negative way). I think those two guys can feed off of each other and really push each other to do well for themselves. I am not ready to get rid of Rivers until the deadline where he will show that he is or he isn't worth taking into the playoffs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I haven't seen Rivers play this preseason (and as we all know, preseason tells you everything that you need to know about a player) but I think Rivers will come into his own in this his 3rd year. It has to. If there is one thing he can really get from having Jimmer on the team it's that shoulder to lean on in terms of one rookie bust telling another rookie bust how to get through things (and I am not saying that in a negative way). I think those two guys can feed off of each other and really push each other to do well for themselves. I am not ready to get rid of Rivers until the deadline where he will show that he is or he isn't worth taking into the playoffs.
    Eh I disagree. I think Jimmer is going to take all the pressure off of him since there will be so much focus on him. Lebron has recently started to get the "Jimmer effect" and it's why he was finally able to reel off 4 straight runs to the finals.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

We could trade him since 2 seasons, but we didn't do that.
    He had 2 seasons time develop into a better basketball player .
    Now it's his time to prove his doubters wrong.
    So the FO had much patience with him.
    To trade him now, would be a fault.
    Let him play his third season and decide then.
    And his trade value isn't that high.
    I don't think anyone would want a bad contract or locker room cancer in return.

We jumped through hoops not to trade him just this past summer

Rivers won't be traded soon. It would make absolutely no sense. Only chance he gets traded is if he blows up this season and we picked up his option so we could use him as a big trade chip.

Like MM said in the most recent podcast a 30% increase Overall by Rivers this year would be great and not out of the realm of possibility. Just for reference if all his stats increased just by 10% he'd shoot 46% for 2, 40% from 3, 70% from the line. Her give you 3 assists, and just over 2 rebounds, and 12 pts in just under 20 minutes a game. Combined with his defense? I take that in a heart beat.

People - NOTHING is different than it was before three meaningless preseason games. I know the point of message boards is to overreact to the most recent thing rather than seeing the big picture. But they were meaningless games held after 3 or 4 training camp practices. Those games are not going to impact Dell's thinking one bit. And Dell wasn't going to trade him prior to the preseason starting, so why will that change because of three glorified pick up games?
    @mcnamara247

no reason to sell low on a young guy. don't see it happening

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People - NOTHING is different than it was before three meaningless preseason games. I know the point of message boards is to overreact to the most recent thing rather than seeing the big picture. But they were meaningless games held after 3 or 4 training camp practices. Those games are not going to impact Dell's thinking one bit. And Dell wasn't going to trade him prior to the preseason starting, so why will that change because of three glorified pick up games?
    this, plus monty noting several times that he likes consistency last time. the past two seasons they've gotten pieces moved during training camp or guys couldn't participate. to get this team to gel, the current roster needs to stay put for at least a few months

i don't know what the fuss is about. he improved last year than the year before. From what i've read he's put in a lot of time in expanding his game. I have high hopes for the kid and i think he'll do well this year off them bench. even though its preseason, he's had good chemistry with Jimmer.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Because none of have any idea what we could get for Rivers and predicting we will trade him would be nothing more than a guess.
    @DanielVeuleman

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Let me get this straight. You start a thread saying you think Rivers will be traded, pure speculation on your part. And then ask for us to tell you why he wouldn't be? Maybe first give us some more info on why Rivers will be traded more than just you think so and then we can respond to that.

Jimmer played Rivers off the team. Time to build the team around him

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Jimmer played Rivers off the team. Time to build the team around him
    Haven't you heard? Jimmer is better than AD. Lets trade this AD fellow now before the rest of the world realizes that Jimmer is the real superstar.

Would you trade for him based upon this pitiful preseason he had? I know the games are meaningless but i still they these games scream "this kid can't shoot". Horrible free throw shooter, still can't get to the rim and finish.

Austin Rivers is currently shooting 33% from the field, 31% from 3, and 53% from the line. No player in the history of the NBA from the time the 3 point line was established has ever shot at or below those numbers while playing in over 40 games and over 20 minutes a game.
    If you take out the foul shooting numbers, then there are 6 players who have shot 33/31 from the field in NBA history, with Rivers coming in last in win shares.
    If you take out the minutes qualification then 73 players have shot 33/31, with Rivers coming in last in win shares.
    We are witnessing history in the making guys. Where Amazing Happens.

WOULD YOU TRADE FOR THAT????

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA NBA View Post
    Austin Rivers is currently shooting 33% from the field, 31% from 3, and 53% from the line. No player in the history of the NBA from the time the 3 point line was established has ever shot at or below those numbers while playing in over 40 games and over 20 minutes a game.
    If you take out the foul shooting numbers, then there are 6 players who have shot 33/31 from the field in NBA history, with Rivers coming in last in win shares.
    If you take out the minutes qualification then 73 players have shot 33/31, with Rivers coming in last in win shares.
    We are witnessing history in the making guys. Where Amazing Happens.

WOULD YOU TRADE FOR THAT????
    Are you using preseason stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Are you using preseason stats?
    He's certainly not using regular season stats, you know the ones that actually count

No, it's an old article but he hasn't improved much from those numbers. So when people say he's improved, well it would be impossible not to improve on those stats and still be in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA NBA View Post
    No, it's an old article but he hasn't improved much from those numbers. So when people say he's improved, well it would be impossible not to improve on those stats and still be in the league.
    Last year he shot 40.5% from the field, not good but not one of the worst in the league either. 36.4% from 3, that's pretty darn good. Finally 63.6% from the line. Not great for a guard, would like to see him get above 70%, but it's not horrible. So again, I don't know where you are getting those numbers from or even what year those numbers are from, but he's significantly improved them.

I think 40.5% from the field is good for 121st in the league. 63.6 FT is good for 118. For a guard, pitiful, beyond horrible for an NBA player.
    36.4 good for 79th, not pretty darn good at all. Below average for a shooting guard.

Numbers are from a Seiko Smith article. There is also a peachbasket.net article that claims his rookie year to be the worst in NBA rookie history. Pretty bad.

Just saying nobody is lining up to trade for that production.

I agree with your point, but 64% from the line is, in fact, horrible for a guard.

Thread Information