Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, I'm happy we have Jummer Freddete on the Pels

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I don't know why religion has to matter so much. Or rather, i know, but still...i'm an atheist but it's not like i would pull like a maniac for any white atheist (or black atheist? eh, whatever) player out there. And as far as i know that's WAY more difficult to find than a white religious player
    Kurgan, you are right, and being a BYU fan/Mormon, I think religion matters very little in the case of Jimmer.

Sure Mormons like the fact that a Mormon is in the NBA, but I think what you are seeing are huge fans of a college program with a hugely popular athlete that put a less frequently celebrated program on SportsCenter night after night. You know and probably have experienced the draw of college sports.... it's a like a religion for a lot of people. What Jimmer did for that college program, taking them into the sweet sixteen for the first time in like 30 years was HUGE in that little town. Was he insanely popular because he was Mormon? Of course not... so was everyone else. Jimmer is a college hero and not a religious hero. I can't explain the rabidness of a few fans... it boggles my mind as well, I root for him as much as any BYU fan, but don't understand the constant need to demand he gets respected. But I truly think that the love for Jimmer is rooted in a bit of nostalgia of the games that he dominated in college and the wish to the same thing happen at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    To point to one team and a 4-5 players and say there is NO use for it is a little shortsided, but I know you know that.

Like all stats, plus/minus can be torn apart, but if it had NO value, why would so many smart people track it?

Adjusted plus minus is a step in the right direction, and it will continue to evolve.

Saying a stat means absolutely nothing is as bad as saying it means everything IMO
    I pointed to our team. It's the one I've examined the most. I'm not picking and choosing. These were literally the first guys I thought of. I'm sure this isn't some outlier. Every team probably has examples just like this and it's the reason I find +/- to be so useless. Is it completely useless? No like I said there are a few cases it can give you something. But it's still pretty useless and like I stated, the way the OP was trying to use it was completely wrong. It should never be used as a vacuum stat to determine any player's value.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-11-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I pointed to our team. It's the one I've examined the most. I'm not picking and choosing. These were literally the first guys I thought of. I'm sure this isn't some outlier. Every team probably has examples just like this and it's the reason I find +/- to be so useless. Is it completely useless? No, only 95% of the time. But that's still pretty useless and like I stated, the way the OP was trying to use it was completely wrong.
    I totally agree with you..... I wouldn't even begin to try counting the times that this stat is more indicative of the other 9 players on the court rather than the one its credited to.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Official member of the Roman Catholics for Jimmer fan club. Come eat some seafood on Friday with us and drink too much before Lent but feel guilty about it. Join me for some Latin chants at St. Patricks any Sunday at 9:30 or 11:00 with my 5 kids. That many because we no like-a da pill.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-11-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    WHITE HOT ! Rivers drives & dishes to the SLOW, WHITE GUYS hangin out around the line ! Babbitt, Fredette & Anderson ! Air Raid !

Banned
    The Jimmer you saw in college was a pretty cocky guy on the court. I don't see that so far. He should WANT to go out and just fill it up. Maybe, it is just because the players are better.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Jimmer Mania is a product of character, much like the love that surrounded Tim Tebow.
    Too many people with spotlights around them can afford to be jerks.
    It's refreshing to see someone humble that's thrust into the spotlight.

When a player has great character, you want to see them succeed.
    It's the same reason all of us love Ryno.

As long as the kid's in the league, I'll root for him. If we've got more Pelicans fans because he's wearing our jersey, great. Maybe the masses will get us more nationally televised games.

Then the world will know what's brewing down in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Official member of the Roman Catholics for Jimmer fan club. Come eat some seafood on Friday with us and drink too much before Lent but feel guilty about it. Join me for some Latin chants at St. Patricks any Sunday at 9:30 or 11:00 with my 5 kids. That many because we no like-a da pill.
    5 kids? You growing your own basketball team?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Jimeer will be the spark plug we need off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We're talking about Kool-Aid Jammer.
    In regards to the "Who's going to play the 3? Wait, Tyreke's not a 3!" sub-controversial-controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    The Jimmer you saw in college was a pretty cocky guy on the court. I don't see that so far. He should WANT to go out and just fill it up. Maybe, it is just because the players are better.
    Uh maybe??? He's out of his league now, this is not kiddie ball anymore. This is a man's league, little Jimmer is a boy.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    In regards to the "Who's going to play the 3? Wait, Tyreke's not a 3!" sub-controversial-controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA NBA View Post
    Uh maybe??? He's out of his league now, this is not kiddie ball anymore. This is a man's league, little Jimmer is a boy.
    We shall see, but my gut tells me this is a silly post....

Jimmer will have every bit the career of Dan Dikau.

For a while Dan Dickau was the king of New Orleans.

Man those were some fun bad teams to watch. With a young DX, JR Smith, Vroman, Boki, Dickau, PJ Brown was the only one of the lot who actually had proven talent. Fun times. Can we still unearth posts from all those years ago. I swear this isn't revisionist history. People loved that horrible team.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-14-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

Man those were some fun bad teams to watch. With a young DX, JR Smith, Vroman, Boki, Dickau, PJ Brown was the only one of the lot who actually had proven talent. Fun times. Can we still unearth posts from all those years ago. I swear this isn't revisionist history. People loved that horrible team.
    I loved Dickau, and I probably went to more games that season than any other. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I loved Dickau, and I probably went to more games that season than any other. Sad.
    Who can blame you? I also forgot Matt Frejie who would later go on to have a female coach or owner or something pull him out of a game and cut him on the spot.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Who can blame you? I also forgot Matt Frejie who would later go on to have a female coach or owner or something pull him out of a game and cut him on the spot.
    Don't forget Lee Nailon LOL

How could I forget. We also had Birdman (pre-clean days), the 500 year old George Lynch, and the oft injured Baron Davis who we all hated.

Man...if that team trotted out onto the court this season I would go to those games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Still enforcing my belief.

Who loved them, there was NOBODY IN THE STANDS, NOBODY. How does that equate to love??????????????? There were nights when the arena was less than 50% filled. LOVE???

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    OH, i know, people who don't spend money on tickets. People who only watch on tv. People who spend nothing to support their hometown team. Yes, they love pathetic teams.

Buying a ticket or not, if you have lived in the state over the last 20 years you have shown your support for this team inadvertently by laying down the money to build the Smoothie King Center.

As I said in my example, I was living in Utah (going to school) at the time. Best I could do was buy a hornets hat and get on 1280 am when the Jazz played the Hornets and talk trash (which didn't happen often as CP3 always got owned by D-Will).

I am calling bull **** on having to own a ticket to be a fan or a supporter. When the median household income was less than $38k (and it was because there were far more people living in housing projects then as opposed to now), buying a ticket to a basketball game isn't cracking your list of top 10 things you can afford to do...even when the ticket costs $2.

Buying a ticket or not, if you have lived in the state over the last 20 years you have shown your support for this team inadvertently by laying down the money to build the Smoothie King Center.

As I said in my example, I was living in Utah (going to school) at the time. Best I could do was buy a hornets hat and get on 1280 am when the Jazz played the Hornets and talk trash (which didn't happen often as CP3 always got owned by D-Will).

I am calling bull **** on having to own a ticket to be a fan or a supporter. When the median household income was less than $38k (and it was because there were far more people living in housing projects then as opposed to now), buying a ticket to a basketball game isn't cracking your list of top 10 things you can afford to do...even when the ticket costs $2.
    Your missing the point, people who ACTUALLY BUY SEASON TICKETS, did not love the Dickau teams. That was not NBA talent and your paying NBA prices. Yes it's nice to like them when all you do is watch on tv, but when your spending real money on expense nba club seats you want Dickau gone gone gone. Jimmer is another Dickau. Keep putting Dickau's and Jimmers out there and you will have 5,000 season ticket holders and the team will be leaving town.

If you didn't like the product then why did you purchase the goods?

Quote Originally Posted by odine View Post
    Jimmer reminds me of Kyle Korver. Korver lacks of lateral speed often makes him got beaten in one on one situation, he doesn't have off the dribble moves and never bring the ball. The only difference is Korver has great understanding of positional defense making him one of the best help defender in the wing position. With hardwork and residue of thib's dust from his time as a Bulls, Jimmer can at least be a passable help defender.
    The only stumbling block laying on jimmer's way to become the next kyle korver is height. Korver's 6'7 height enables him to shoot over most guards in the NBA.
    Fredette's problem has always come down to defense. Korver's actually a decent enough defensive player ... won't shut anyone down, but isn't a matador and throws in a few blocks and steals. Dude can shoot the ball, but if he could even graduate to being an "NBA bad" defender vs. a catastrophic one, he's probably a rotation player.

Thread Information