Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Pre-season game #3- Pelicans V Wizards

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    All those Youtube clips of him putting in work for nothing
    I actually like Rivers and I see that he plays with my favorite all time player, Jason Williams, in the Orlando pro am during the summer. Of course, Rivers destroys out there and you start to think he's about to take the next step in the league.

I think Rivers can really ball, but it hasn't translated as of yet. (Full time, anyway)

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I know Coach says he has to play better...but did also, say he is slowly picking up the schemes as well. For now I will assume all things fall in the middle with this guy. Just as long as the other team doesn't run every play at him he should be fine. I think Williams said he could have left Jimmer in to give the team a better chance to win, but wanted to see the young guys. That sounds like a pretty good endorsement.

I really want to see why Rivers isn't shooting well more than if Jimmer's defense is bad. (no offense to Jimmer) I always lean toward length if given a choice, so I would rather see Rivers do well.

I also can't wait to see the starting 5 in winning time.
    I hope Monty gives Rivers the minutes he needs to prove himself. At first I thought he & Jimmer would be competing against one another for backup SG minutes. Now it seems like they may be working together as the second string backcourt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    I hope Monty gives Rivers the minutes he needs to prove himself. At first I thought he & Jimmer would be competing against one another for backup SG minutes. Now it seems like they may be working together as the second string backcourt.
    I definitely think a Rivers/Jimmer backcourt has potential.

Both players have something to prove and just need opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    I definitely think a Rivers/Jimmer backcourt has potential.

Both players have something to prove and just need opportunity.
    That and with Tyreke running the offense at the 3, you've surrounded him with shooters and everyone will thrive.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadlowe View Post
    Hi, Npliam.

I disagree a little regarding athleticism and defense. In terms of the general populace, Jimmer is a great athlete. In terms of NBA point guards, he is below median. He is a better athlete than the old guys like Calderon and Jameer Nelson and some of the big points like Livingston or Greivis Vasquez, but not NBA point guards in general.

Sure, the differences are measured in fractions of seconds and milimeters, but at the NBA level of competition, it is what it is.

Defensively, he improved quite a bit last year working with Malone and Thibs on positioning, rotations and reads. His biggest problem on defense is that he is not nasty enough, doesn't foul hard enough. Since he was drafted, I wanted to see him play defense more like that other BYU alum, Danny Ainge did back in the day. Ainge was great at hitting bigs in the midsection with elbows as he fought through screens. I want to see more of that hard-nosed playbefore I give Jimmer credit for improved defense.
    I want to be clear. I don't think Jimmer has the elite quickness to ever be a defensive stopper. He does have enough athleticism to be an adequate (adequate being the key word) defender. You don't have to be great to be an adequate defender in the NBA. You have to try, play good team defense and have decent athleticism. The thing is, every player in the NBA gets beat on defense, every single one. The best defensive players in the league get beat because offensives players are too good. I get tired of hearing every time someone scores on Jimmer what a bad defensive player he is. Even if the guy has gone at him every time down the floor for 5 straight possessions and only scored once. Guys get scored on in the NBA.

I would like to see Jimmer use his strength on defense more. He could use a nasty streak on defense.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    That and with Tyreke running the offense at the 3, you've surrounded him with shooters and everyone will thrive.
    When Jimmer was in Sacramento he almost never got any playing time with Tyreke. It never made any sense to me because it seem like their games compliment each other. Of course the coach that drafted him only last like 6 games and the next head coach wasn't as good of a coach as half the guys (or gals) on this forum. Hopefully they get some run together.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    I want to be clear. I don't think Jimmer has the elite quickness to ever be a defensive stopper. He does have enough athleticism to be an adequate (adequate being the key word) defender. You don't have to be great to be an adequate defender in the NBA. You have to try, play good team defense and have decent athleticism. The thing is, every player in the NBA gets beat on defense, every single one. The best defensive players in the league get beat because offensives players are too good. I get tired of hearing every time someone scores on Jimmer what a bad defensive player he is. Even if the guy has gone at him every time down the floor for 5 straight possessions and only scored once. Guys get scored on in the NBA.
    Absolutely right. The only time I heard Jimmer getting beat last night was when he was guarding John Wall. Now, I don't think even the best defenders can really defend Wall that easily, but it was a coaching mistake to put Jimmer on him. I don't put that on Jimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    When Jimmer was in Sacramento he almost never got any playing time with Tyreke. It never made any sense to me because it seem like their games compliment each other. Of course the coach that drafted him only last like 6 games and the next head coach wasn't as good of a coach as half the guys (or gals) on this forum. Hopefully they get some run together.
    When coaches are drafting the players, the organization has issues. That being said, a second string of Tyreke/Jimmer/Rivers/Ryno/Ajinca would be court spacing heaven.

Banned
    I appreciate Coach's honesty about players. I will say the media can make differences in players careers. Monty said Jimmer missed a few assignments on defense but he is fighting. In the articles it says he said jimmer needs to fight harder. That is a big difference.
    Last edited by Asteptooslow; 10-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Another thing to consider... Jrue and Ryno have been recovering from injuries/surgery, and they haven't been playing a whole lot of "competitive" ball over the summer. They will definitely get better as they get their bodies "NBA-Ready".

Another thing is we're still missing Tyreke. Many don't care to realize the impact that he has on a game. his ability to get to the bucket at-will, and draw defenders is going to be invaluable to this team, because we have a bunch of guys that can catch-and-shoot, and knock down shots.

We'll get better guys. Monty's not really TRYING to win these games he's getting guys on the floor to develop them. I didn't watch the game, but did Washington play their main guys down the stretch?

feel like our training camp was shorter than just about anyone. has any other team played 3 games yet? Feel like this is a big learning stretch since we have 4-5 days off

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    feel like our training camp was shorter than just about anyone. has any other team played 3 games yet? Feel like this is a big learning stretch since we have 4-5 days off
    Utah has only played one.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    I actually like Rivers and I see that he plays with my favorite all time player, Jason Williams, in the Orlando pro am during the summer. Of course, Rivers destroys out there and you start to think he's about to take the next step in the league.

I think Rivers can really ball, but it hasn't translated as of yet. (Full time, anyway)

Yea im with you on this, but there is a problem, one cannot wait for Rivers' game to finally.....translate.
    It can't.

Rivers works his arxe off. I've been watching the video someone put on here. Man he has really working on his game, I think Im gonna believe in Rivers for now on!!!! I appreciate his work ethic and basketball IQ and such

But then it came,the realization that he may get great using his left hand, and hitting shots off the pass......... but for now, he has been a terrible as a facilitator ((I read about Anthony Morrow sitting out on the three-point line countless times last year when Rivers would use his crossover to taking right into a collapsing lane....Morrow was just ready to shoot. But Rivers wouldn't pass it

Regardless, Rivers would actually just take the ball right up to the goal whenever he wants to really....

BUT WHEN HE GETS THERE, IN THE LANE, HIS LACK OF FINISHING ABILITY IS A DISASTER.

he takes the the most difficult \ the league ( and its supported by statistics lol)

This is one of the few things that usually dont change.

Soon, I think it probable that that Russ and Jimmer could both start eating up some of his previous playing time

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    All those Youtube clips of him putting in work for nothing

I know, I know. That's why I feel so sorry for him. Regardless of how hard he works, it's not going to help him FINISH.

His special talent is an incredibly low and efficient crossover which aids him at something he could already do - penetrate. But problem is when he get's there, he's taking shots that are near the league low for a guard from that distance. He needs to be able to flush it, not attempt the world's hardest lay-ups

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    At 0:30 mark, Ryno hits a turnaround jumper in the paint.. Why is this never called as a travel? Two steps, puts right foot down as pivot, spins, then pulls pivot foot off the ground and jumps/fades away with his left foot...

Just curious.. I see guys like Dwayne Wade do this all the time and it never gets called. Is it not actually a travel?

I like Jimmer. I think he will do some good things for us this year. But he still hasn't proven anything yet. This is still preseason, and real bullets haven't been flying. I think once the regular season comes around, and you see him return back to his BYU days, THEN you will have reason to have faith in him. Until then we are really just going off of glorified practice.

That said, if he does turn it around. If the light does come on for him. If he proves to be a real asset for our team. I don't think there is any way he leaves the city of New Orleans. If he becomes who people thought he would be out of college, you are looking at a Manu, Jet, Vinnie Johnson, 6th man extraordinaire, the likes we haven't seen on this team since Darryl Armstrong hit the court over a decade ago. He can make others expendable, and allow us to spend less time developing talent, and more time working at developing a cohesive team, as right now we are mining through young guys on our bench hoping that one of them pans out and makes our bench even a little intimidating.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Jimmer fans I've encountered on this board seem like nice, positive people.
    This is refreshing for any forum and I welcome their stay.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Yea im with you on this, but there is a problem, one cannot wait for Rivers' game to finally.....translate.
    It can't.

Rivers works his arxe off. I've been watching the video someone put on here. Man he has really working on his game, I think Im gonna believe in Rivers for now on!!!! I appreciate his work ethic and basketball IQ and such

But then it came,the realization that he may get great using his left hand, and hitting shots off the pass......... but for now, he has been a terrible as a facilitator ((I read about Anthony Morrow sitting out on the three-point line countless times last year when Rivers would use his crossover to taking right into a collapsing lane....Morrow was just ready to shoot. But Rivers wouldn't pass it

Regardless, Rivers would actually just take the ball right up to the goal whenever he wants to really....

BUT WHEN HE GETS THERE, IN THE LANE, HIS LACK OF FINISHING ABILITY IS A DISASTER.

he takes the the most difficult \ the league ( and its supported by statistics lol)

This is one of the few things that usually dont change.

Soon, I think it probable that that Russ and Jimmer could both start eating up some of his previous playing time
    From your assessment, it sounds like it's between his ears; surprising, considering he's a coaches son.

It seems like he'd be better suited with the keys handed to him, which simply is not going to happen with this team.

Thread Information