Pelicans Report

Thread: Grantland Top 20 Shooters

Grantland Top 20 Shooters

Thought this was pretty interesting seeing as how a lot of our former players ended up on this list. I checked it out to see if Ryno was on here. What do yall think of it.

http://grantland.com/2014-nba-preview/

They ranked them down at the bottom of the page if yall want to take a look.

This breaks down why each one was chosen:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...we-chose-them/

I think the most surprising one was Ariza, seeing as when he was here I read an article online that said "Ariza is where offense goes to die" haha

Weird article.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantland
    Curry’s one weakness remains finishing and scoring around the hoop, which is unsurprising considering his slight stature. He’s getting better and better at scoring in the paint, but right now he’s an average NBA shooter in the restricted area.
    Part of ranking the best "shooters" is their ability to finish inside the restricted area? That's a very different definition of shooting than convention.

If you're wanting to get an idea of efficiency from all over the court, why not just look at eFG%?

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    Weird article.

Part of ranking the best "shooters" is their ability to finish inside the restricted area? That's a very different definition of shooting than convention.

If you're wanting to get an idea of efficiency from all over the court, why not just look at eFG%?
    Because that doesn't take into account shot location?

Look at the shot chart for Dirk. He is deadly from any point on the floor. eFG% doesn't show that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    I think the most surprising one was Ariza, seeing as when he was here I read an article online that said "Ariza is where offense goes to die" haha
    Ariza was terrible at shooting when he was here, especially from 3. He is very flukey when it comes to his jumpshot which is usually only good in a contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Ariza was terrible at shooting when he was here, especially from 3. He is very flukey when it comes to his jumpshot which is usually only good in a contract year.
    I know which is exactly the reason I wouldn't put him anywhere near my top 20 shooters in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    I know which is exactly the reason I wouldn't put him anywhere near my top 20 shooters in the NBA.
    I think the article was just in response to last season.

Belinelli number 8?
    HS

Because that doesn't take into account shot location?

Look at the shot chart for Dirk. He is deadly from any point on the floor. eFG% doesn't show that.
    While the shot chart looks impressive, a mid-range shot is worth the same as a closer shot, and 150% less than a shot just a few feet out. Not all shots are created equal. It's better to be average from 3 than elite from just a few feet closer.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    While the shot chart looks impressive, a mid-range shot is worth the same as a closer shot, and 150% less than a shot just a few feet out. Not all shots are created equal. It's better to be average from 3 than elite from just a few feet closer.
    Except Dirk is highly effective at all spots on the floor so he warps the way a defense has to play the Mavs. They also won a championship based off the midrange shooting by him and Terry.

It also shows that Dirk is the best shooter at nearly every shot on the floor, and against defenses keyed against him, which is a really good argument for him as best shooter on the league.
    Last edited by Kibner; 10-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Except Dirk is highly effective at all spots on the floor so he warps the way a defense has to play the Mavs. They also won a championship based off the midrange shooting by him and Terry.
    All elite players warp the way a defense has to play their team.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm just not sure how one could consider Dirk better at shooting the ball than a guy like Steph Curry. And if you're counting "shooting" at the rim, LeBron (shot 57% from the field the past two years, and over 60% from 2 the past two years; a full 7% higher than Dirk).

I feel like somebody at Grantland got carried away with the shot charts and decided to rank the guys with the most red in the most areas.

Wow who knew Lillard was so bad around the rim? He seems like a good enough athlete to get it done down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Wow who knew Lillard was so bad around the rim? He seems like a good enough athlete to get it done down there.
    He is God awful within 10ft and still pretty bad 10-16. It's really shocking. He really is a cold blooded sniper. Doesn't give you anything on defense, is a middling passer, but if I need a 3 I don't know if I'd want anyone else in the league taking the shot.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Monty take note.

Push Dirk to the left wing.

LBJ is surprisingly lop-sided on his chart.

Banned
    Where's Jimmer?

What I would give to have Patty Mills on this team. I recall calling for us to sign him when he was first cut by the Blazers... but nobody ever listens to me. Not that it would have helped considering it took the Spurs to make something of him.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    It's kind of crazy to think about. Although unless you consistently watch blazer games, we only really see the crazy highlights lillard puts up. We don't see all the misses

Thread Information