Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N/P Blake Griffin has range now

N/P Blake Griffin has range now

That's kinda scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Let him fall in love with his inconsistent shot, the farther away form the basket, the better. Still not hitting FTs from what I can tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    That's kinda scary.
    He's almost a complete package for a big on offense. If that jumpshot proves to be consistent, the only thing he is lacking is high level free throw shooting.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    That's disturbing.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    Let him fall in love with his inconsistent shot, the farther away form the basket, the better. Still not hitting FTs from what I can tell though.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    Meh. I mean I agree that he shouldn't turn his game into Larmarcus Aldrige's and I don't think he will. Honestly though, there's just not a whole lot to criticize on the offensive side of the ball with Blake. He's done what people always expect great players to do but what rarely actually happens - he's added something to his game every single year he's been in the league.

Even the free throw shooting you reference. He shot 74% post all-star break last season, which is pretty damn good. Certainly too good to make intentionally fouling him a legitimate strategy, which is really the most important thing for the team.

He started this last year. I'm all for bigs Jason Smithing.

**edit...I'm all for other bigs Smithing, not ours.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-08-2014 at 01:17 PM.

AD's ascension to best PF is gonna take a bit more time, by no means guaranteed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Welp there goes AD shine, Blake Griffin is here folks.... a preseason game has told us this. At least Davis got his ESPN segment,
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Their window is different than ours, becoming Stockton/Malone 2.0 won't change where the Pelicans are headed.

They were saying the same thing this time last year lol and he still wasn't all that good coooome on over hyped over rated

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Take that jumper all day, Griffin. Go ahead

BG and AD are shockingly similar in abilities on the court. The biggest difference being AD is a far better shot blocker and BG is a far better passer. Also AD is doing it at age 21 compared to 25.

It's the personality difference that makes me hate BG and like AD so much. No one likes a 6'10" cry baby who flops.

Everyone's laughing at Blake for working on his jumper, but aren't we the ones that want AD to develop more range?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Everyone's laughing at Blake for working on his jumper, but aren't we the ones that want AD to develop more range?
    Not me. I want him to finish around the basket.
    If he falls in love with the jumper his efficiency goes down.

Personally I'd rather he stick around the basket more and use his jumper a little less. I'd like about 65-70% of his offense to come within 10ft. But it's the way the NBA is going for bigs so, meh.

It seems to me AD likes to start most games with a couple of long 2's...if he makes them, it creates more opportunity for him to attack the basket for the rest of the game as defenders will be right up on him. Then he uses that quick first step and BAM!!!

I've been a Blake fan for a while (I like Oklahoma sports teams) and I'm glad that he is becoming a more versatile player. People thought he would never ever learn how to shoot because in college he wasn't that great at it and always had dunking opportunities or created them. Hopefully this gives hope to Evans getting a reliable jump shot.

I can't wait to watch AD vs Blake. That will be a good matchup for sure.

How do you think AD will far against him (Be specific please):

Offensively:
    - AD uses his speed to get a quick first step against his opponents when he catches it in the post. This might not work against Blake because Blake is very agile and quickness is similar to AD and has good defensive footwork.
    - AD might be able to shoot over the top of Blake if given space but it will be contested.
    - AD backing Griffin down is something that I will be very surprised at if AD is successful
    - AD will still be able to use his length to get tip backs and offensive boards (pending where Jordan is of course)

Defensively:
    - AD should not have a problem guarding against Blake's shot from the outside. He should be able to play pretty tight on him because he is just as quick and don't have to worry about being blown by.
    - AD should be able to use his length to aggravate Blake on just about all of his shots
    - AD will have to box out instead of ball watching which this whole team gets in trouble for at times. Blake comes flying through the lanes for slam backs. If AD isn't careful he may be on a poster
    - AD will have to know when to get help in the post. Blake has good post moves and has more size and strength against AD.
    - In the post AD often tries to back off of defenders just a little bit making sure not to give up too much ground and then spring up for a block. Blake is pretty good about shielding the ball when scoring in the post and drawing fouls. AD would have to be well aware of this in the 1st quarter to not end up in foul trouble the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Personally I'd rather he stick around the basket more and use his jumper a little less. I'd like about 65-70% of his offense to come within 10ft. But it's the way the NBA is going for bigs so, meh.
    I agree. The further away from the basket the lower the percentage shot it is but for some reason, everybody wants to cross half court and start shooting. 3 on 1 fast breaks where they choose to shoot a 3 vs shooting a lay-up drives me nuts. As you say though, this is the direction bball is going in and everyone seems to love it. We're stuck with it.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I've been looking for him to display some sort of post moves since Kentucky, so I'd say no. He can shoot 15 ft jumpers, but the ones just inside the arc? Not no but hell no!

Holy crap batman

Taking the most inefficient shot in bball (long 2) and swishing the hell out of em.

bah gods

AD can be good at a jump shot and still finish around the basket. It's not one or the other.
    Taking long twos isn't always bad. If Blake keeps people his defender close to him with his agility, ability to finish, and playmake he could be very scary. It's only one game but he looked pretty comfortable and his stroke looked better than in the past. Good for him. It'll make us beating them even sweeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    AD can be good at a jump shot and still finish around the basket. It's not one or the other.
    Taking long twos isn't always bad. If Blake keeps people his defender close to him with his agility, ability to finish, and playmake he could be very scary. It's only one game but he looked pretty comfortable and his stroke looked better than in the past. Good for him. It'll make us beating them even sweeter.
    It exactly is one or the other. You have a certain number of shots you take per game. The less he takes around the basket the more he takes from further out. I'm glad he can make them at a good % that makes him harder to guard but he's so efficient around the rim he needs to take more shots there not less, and his number decreased from year 1 to 2.

Thread Information