Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to the board and some thoughts on Jimmer...

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans25_ZERO View Post
    jimmers gonna play 10-15 minutes a night in a backup combo guard role, the sooner you people get that, the better off we'll all be. He'll have some great moments his year hitting some shots and getting us some wins with his play in a reserve role, he will also have some moments where a ball handler blows right by him and makes an easy layup or jumper, having AD and Asik back there to protect the rim will take away some of jimmers defensive problems, that is what this coaching staff is banking on.. outside of jrue we dont really have any average at best defenders in our backcourt, the signing of salmons will help on the wing, but guys like gordon, reke, babbit, ryno..etc.... have all been below average defenders in this league, that is why the Asik signing will be the most important move that new orleans has made since going out and getting ryan anderson. Asik will prove to hide many of our backcourts defensive weaknesses... that is why jimmer will see the court a lot this year, forget the comparisons, forget everything you saw before he got here. we have a different team and a different midset to employ when it comes to jimmers game. hes a better shooter than morrow is, and btw morrow before last year was thought to not even be able to get a job in this league anymore.. the same thing will happen with jimmer. He'll earn himself a four year deal with someone after this season. hopefully we can get him to stay... that being said.... gordons contract will go a long way into doing just that. keeping him...
    Who is "you guys"? I don't think Jimmer will play much more than 15 minutes a night. He can play and play well. He isn't an all star in my mind.

While I am a Jimmer fan (and a big Utah Jazz fan) I am reasonable in my expectations of what he can do. I also don't make ridiculous claims that he was black balled or that people were out to get him in his previous stops.

In short, not all Jimmer fans are the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    Who is "you guys"? I don't think Jimmer will play much more than 15 minutes a night. He can play and play well. He isn't an all star in my mind.

While I am a Jimmer fan (and a big Utah Jazz fan) I am reasonable in my expectations of what he can do. I also don't make ridiculous claims that he was black balled or that people were out to get him in his previous stops.

In short, not all Jimmer fans are the same.
    Very well said.

If you hate Jimmer, don't hate him because of fans like me. I personally believe Jimmer could be an all-star PG in this league if he was given 35 minutes a night and the reigns to a team. That's MY opinion. I'm a BIG believer, while some Jimmer fans just think he's a rotational player.

Regardless, go Pelicans.

Banned
    I will say this, though. Every time Jimmer has played well in this league, it has almost always been followed with a DNP-CD or a spot on the bench after one mistake.

I hope that changes, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    I will say this, though. Every time Jimmer has played well in this league, it has almost always been followed with a DNP-CD or a spot on the bench after one mistake.

I think that's probably a bit biased, he probably suffered from being on guard heavy rosters, and him being low in the rotation order meant he was the odd one out.

From what I saw from him today, his D was reasonable this game, he was ok offensively, but could've done better in getting his team mates involved, though the shots he was taking weren't terrible. Had a couple silly turnovers as well. All in all he looked like a potential rotational player but not an all star. I thought Russ Smith pushed for minutes with relentless D, though he got chewed out by Monty a couple times as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I think that's probably a bit biased, he probably suffered from being on guard heavy rosters, and him being low in the rotation order meant he was the odd one out.

From what I saw from him today, his D was reasonable this game, he was ok offensively, but could've done better in getting his team mates involved, though the shots he was taking weren't terrible. Had a couple silly turnovers as well. All in all he looked like a potential rotational player but not an all star. I thought Russ Smith pushed for minutes with relentless D, though he got chewed out by Monty a couple times as well.
    Did he chewed him out?
    Not from what I saw.
    To me it just looked like a coach giving some advice to his rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Did he chewed him out?
    Not from what I saw.
    To me it just looked like a coach giving some advice to his rookie.
    Monty wanted to talk to Russ for a play but Russ rushed ahead so I think Monty called a time out to talk to him. Might not have been furious but I think he got a stern talking to. Hard to tell though when there's no audio

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    LOL!!! That's funny! Reddick is taller, quicker, more athletic, better handle, far better defender and has actually shown he can hit his shots at this level. You need to watch more basketball. Jimmer many times couldn't even get the ball across halfcourt with the Kings as his handle was so bad, but you actually have to watch to know that. That isn't on the Kings either that's on his poor handle. Missed open shot after open shot.

I hope for his sake he gets it together and can contribute for NO but comparing him to Reddick is ignorant, foolish and even a bit racist, lumping two white "shooters" together and pretending their game is similar. Also an insult to Reddick.
    What the actual **** are you talking about? I'll watch more basketball when learn to watch your tone.

i've been watching some of these jimmer highlights and he reminds me of steve nash at times. not very quick but he keeps his composure. he has that slow motion craftiness with perfect timing. I think nash is more of a facilitator than jimmer but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. maybe i just haven't seen it yet. If earns the respect from defenders at the 3 and finds ways to get that mid range floater, i'm on board! Hope he meshes well in monty's system and finds a home.

Banned
    LOL!!! That's funny! Reddick is taller, quicker, more athletic, better handle, far better defender and has actually shown he can hit his shots at this level. You need to watch more basketball. Jimmer many times couldn't even get the ball across halfcourt with the Kings as his handle was so bad, but you actually have to watch to know that. That isn't on the Kings either that's on his poor handle. Missed open shot after open shot.

I hope for his sake he gets it together and can contribute for NO but comparing him to Reddick is ignorant, foolish and even a bit racist, lumping two white "shooters" together and pretending their game is similar. Also an insult to Reddick.
    Misspelling Redick's name countless times is what's insulting.

And Jimmer is a career 40% shooter from 3, which is elite and better than Redick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AKpelicanfried View Post
    i've been watching some of these jimmer highlights and he reminds me of steve nash at times. not very quick but he keeps his composure. he has that slow motion craftiness with perfect timing. I think nash is more of a facilitator than jimmer but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. maybe i just haven't seen it yet. If earns the respect from defenders at the 3 and finds ways to get that mid range floater, i'm on board! Hope he meshes well in monty's system and finds a home.
    If given free reign and 35+ minutes a night, there's no doubt in my mind that Jimmer would look a lot closer to Nash than people realize.

I don't think he'll ever get that opportunity due to politics, though.

If given free reign and 35+ minutes a night, there's no doubt in my mind that Jimmer would look a lot closer to Nash than people realize.

He will never be the passer Nash was. Get out of here with that. At best he is an undersized 2 that tries to be a combo guard. I'm fine with his role and hope he succeeds but he ain't Nash dude.

He doesn't have the handles, shooting ability, vision, creativity, or passing skills of Nash. Probably a moderately better defender than Steve, though.

All-Star

Really dude? Just don't go there. It is ok to think it (well.....not really but it is a free country) but you make yourself look woefully uniformed when you spout nonsense like this.

I know you don't know anything about the Pels, since you only follow Jimmer, but Monty Williams (our head coach) graduated from Notre Dame. He is about as religious as it gets in the NBA, so Jimmer's faith and politics will play absolutely no role in regard to his minutes. Jimmer won't play 35+ minutes because he is a role player, so hopefully he'll get his 15 or so minutes a game, and he'll knock down all the 3s we can give him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He will never be the passer Nash was. Get out of here with that. At best he is an undersized 2 that tries to be a combo guard. I'm fine with his role and hope he succeeds but he ain't Nash dude.
    nash is one of the greats but the teams he played with fit his game perfectly! he had some pretty good help as well. I don't see that with jimmer, this is definitely his best opportunity to shine. as far as i can see the back up guard spot is looking to be filled by either russ, jimmer, or rivers and they all kinda look like they're missing something... actually its something this whole team is lacking. XP.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I know you don't know anything about the Pels, since you only follow Jimmer, but Monty Williams (our head coach) graduated from Notre Dame. He is about as religious as it gets in the NBA, so Jimmer's faith and politics will play absolutely no role in regard to his minutes. Jimmer won't play 35+ minutes because he is a role player, so hopefully he'll get his 15 or so minutes a game, and he'll knock down all the 3s we can give him.
    Exactly. Just look at Ron Artest or Kevin Garnett. Two of the craziest people to ever put on a uniform in the last decade. If you have the talent, and don't completely ruin the locker room, you will get your minutes in this league. Even if you are crazy, or in the case of Jimmer, devoutly religious(Look at Jeremy Lin who is religious and succeeding) if you have the talent you will find a home eventually.

Heck even if you do ruin a locker room you will probably get two or three chances elsewhere if you're good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What the actual **** are you talking about? I'll watch more basketball when learn to watch your tone.
    So you're going to threaten me with remaining ignorant, unless I stop calling out ignorance?

LOL!

I'll stop when you learn to watch your tone.

Jimmer can barely bring the ball up against Earl Watson and you're comparing him to Nash?

All of Canada just burned their Gator jerseys.

Jimmer can barely bring the ball up against Earl Watson and you're comparing him to Nash?

All of Canada just burned their Gator jerseys.
    And this is why threads like this need to end... Jimmer fans (of which I am admittedly one), take note...

When you challenge the community by putting up unsupported claims (whether or not they are true, and even if you believe them with all of your might and the future shows them to be so), you end up with statements being made in the opposite direction to balance your unwarranted claim... (ever hear of Newton's 3rd law of physics? "Every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction?").

What ultimately happens is the community sides with the longer-tenured (non-player fan) contributors, and you turn an open-minded community against your guy.

This statement about Early Watson is obviously ridiculous... Jimmer hasn't had problems bringing the ball up the court against anybody since midway through his Sophomore season, but now this old dirt is brought up because you had to make the comparison to the two-time MVP.

Please stop... and a wise word to the board moderators... keep the OP of this thread on a short leash. There is a pretty distinct reason for the consistent banning... It's a troll - I promise you.
    Last edited by caven; 10-07-2014 at 12:35 PM.

So I read through this thread and Jimmer has been compared to Steve Nash, Steph Curry, and in another thread Damian Lillard.

1-6

I look forward to seeing Jimmer play, but no more than I look forward to seeing anyone in a Pelicans uniform. I fell asleep before the end of the 2nd quarter trying to listen to the radio broadcast of the Atlanta game.

If Jimmer is an average defender who gives effort on that end, and an efficient scorer and distributor (few turnovers or selfish bad shots) on the other end he will get his 15 minutes. If the team is better with him playing than with Rivers, Russ, Gordon, or Miller he could take a few minutes from them, and he could see some injury and foul substitution minutes. Jimmer fans hoping for any more than that this season are overly optimistic. He isn't a rookie, but as far as Monty is concerned he might as well be....

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    So I read through this thread and Jimmer has been compared to Steve Nash, Steph Curry, and in another thread Damian Lillard.
    Honestly, I'm ready to throw him the max right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Let's be clear....
    Steve Nash comparison --- > the OP is likely a troll.
    Steph Curry and Damian Lillard (I believe both used " Very Poor man's")...

Not dumping on Jimmer - I love Jimmer, but let's not paint all of the fans with one brush....

Jimmer is a poor man's Steph Curry and Damian Lillard in that his style of play / contributions are similar, but he can be had for very cheap because he hasn't performed near their level and proved that he can. What is your issue with that?

Quote Originally Posted by caven View Post
    And this is why threads like this need to end... Jimmer fans (of which I am admittedly one), take note...

When you challenge the community by putting up unsupported claims (whether or not they are true, and even if you believe them with all of your might and the future shows them to be so), you end up with statements being made in the opposite direction to balance your unwarranted claim... (ever hear of Newton's 3rd law of physics? "Every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction?").

What ultimately happens is the community sides with the longer-tenured (non-player fan) contributors, and you turn an open-minded community against your guy.

This statement about Early Watson is obviously ridiculous... Jimmer hasn't had problems bringing the ball up the court against anybody since midway through his Sophomore season, but now this old dirt is brought up because you had to make the comparison to the two-time MVP.

Please stop... and a wise word to the board moderators... keep the OP of this thread on a short leash. There is a pretty distinct reason for the consistent banning... It's a troll - I promise you.
    I agree. I'm a big Jimmer fan too, but there are a lot of people who take it way too far. The copy/pasted spamming of video and the comparisons to past NBA superstars is way over the top. I almost wonder sometimes if these aren't just anti-Jimmer trolls trying to make the rest of us look bad.

If you're going to defend him, back it up with facts, stats and a good argument. Put it into context. I could see Jimmer starting in the league someday, but I see him mostly as a reliable back-up role-player with 15-20 min a night. If he gets to that point, that's good enough for me. These are the best basketball players in the world, playing even 1 minute in the NBA a night is a big deal for anyone.

Just so you know, if Jimmer plays well in your mind and then gets nailed to the bench for a few weeks, that's not bias, that's just how Monty handles players of similar effectiveness that don't separate themselves. He randomly rotates through the competing guys giving each one about 2 weeks to prove themselves before rotating to the next guy. If you're a believer in a specific player you'll be biased enough to think he's getting screwed when in actuality he's not playing significantly better than the guys he's rotating with. Monty's rotations have driven fans mad since he got here, I guarantee if Jimmer is sitting for 2 weeks at a time it has nothing to do with a league wide conspiracy or personal bias.

Thread Information