Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Pelicans Second Unit

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    You DO realize that our 2nd string could beat down several starting squads in the NBA, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    You DO realize that our 2nd string could beat down several starting squads in the NBA, don't you?
    I won't believe that until I see it. Right now we have a very good 2nd unit on paper but we have no idea the development of our players or other teams players.

I do like the potential though.

The potential is certainly nice. I want to see if guys like russ smith keep improving, along with rivers and such. We already know what people like babbit bring to the table, when all is said and done but everyone can get better at the very least as far as consistency goes

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I won't believe that until I see it. Right now we have a very good 2nd unit on paper but we have no idea the development of our players or other teams players.

I do like the potential though.
    But we did it at the end of last season, when all of our starters were out.

But we did it at the end of last season, when all of our starters were out.
    When teams had nothing to play for? Nah. I'm not judging out bench this year based off of last year. We've got too many new pieces or pieces that are back from injury. This also doesn't take into account other teams development. Like I said. Just too early I gotta see how this season goes first.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I Propose > Play Evans at starting 3 ! 2nd string= Drive and dish, BOMBS AWAY BOB ! Rivers at point, AJINCA in the middle, with the three slow white guys that will bring back the days of NBA JAM> On Fire ! B O M B S A W A Y !! Fredette@2 Babbitt@3 & Anderson@4

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I Propose > Play Evans at starting 3 ! 2nd string= Drive and dish, BOMBS AWAY BOB ! Rivers at point, AJINCA in the middle, with the three slow white guys that will bring back the days of NBA JAM> On Fire ! B O M B S A W A Y !! Fredette@2 Babbitt@3 & Anderson@4
    I love the chemistry between Rivers & Jimmer. Ball movement is great and they both seem really unselfish. They really seem to have something going when they are on the court together. I don't want to mess that up for sure. Jimmer and Ryno are good friends off the court so I would like to them together as well. I'd put Ajinca at the 5 and mix up the 3 spot. Babbit has looked good with them, but I could see Salmons there as well depending on who's hot on any particular night. I think Babbit can be more explosive, but Salmons is more consistent (zzz).

The biggest problem with Tyreke is that he's pretty selfish and I worry he would mess up the chemistry they have going in the backup squad. I remember a ton of games where he was on the floor with the Kings and he would simply refuse to kick it out to an open wing-man (usually Jimmer) when he was wide open. I think there may be some bad blood between the two since the Sacramento days.

Plus with Tyreke you add a third ball-handler, which I think would actually cause more confusion than anything. Two is company but three is a crowd.
    Last edited by Pelicanned; 10-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.

We gave up 2 first round picks for Jrue. He is already an all-star. He is not coming off the bench.
    I like Holiday but lets not forget that he was basically an All-Star by default. Chances are that he'll never make another in his career. Him being an All-Star should have no bearing on whether or not he comes off of the bench.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Wait... rivers isn't white?

When teams had nothing to play for? Nah. I'm not judging out bench this year based off of last year. We've got too many new pieces or pieces that are back from injury. This also doesn't take into account other teams development. Like I said. Just too early I gotta see how this season goes first.
    I agree that we'll have to see how things unfold this season but I'm optimistic that they could be even better considering we've deepened the bench with more seasoning & more defined roles.

But also you can't deny that Reke 40+ w/backups against an OKC team /only minus Westbrook is enticing.
    They didn't want that butt-whoopin.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I like Holiday but lets not forget that he was basically an All-Star by default. Chances are that he'll never make another in his career. Him being an All-Star should have no bearing on whether or not he comes off of the bench.
    Wanna see people upset, bring Jrue off the bench while he's healthy.

I'd personally call for Dell and Monty's head if they wasted 2 first round picks on a guy who they bring off the bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKpelicanfried View Post
    Wait... rivers isn't white?
    Well, he's not SLOW !

I agree that we'll have to see how things unfold this season but I'm optimistic that they could be even better considering we've deepened the bench with more seasoning & more defined roles.

But also you can't deny that Reke 40+ w/backups against an OKC team /only minus Westbrook is enticing.
    They didn't want that butt-whoopin.
    Reke having a career game is not what I'm going to base my bench off of. We don't even know how the rotations will work yet. Is there potential? Absolutely. I love our bench on paper. But until seeing how they do when games count I'm not ready to say they are better than a decent number of starting teams. I doubt I'll ever think that to be honest.

I think Monty will be forced to start REKE. Salmons has been horrible and Miller hasnt shown why he should . Miller will be brought in to play defense against guys like Bron and KD mostly.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I think Monty will be forced to start REKE. Salmons has been horrible and Miller hasnt shown why he should . Miller will be brought in to play defense against guys like Bron and KD mostly.
    How often will we face those 2 a year? 3 times?

We'll see Parsons, Ariza, and Leonard far more often and tbh I'm not super afraid of those matchups. I hope to God Dallas and Houston try and run their offense through those 2. We win if they do. The Spurs are the Spurs and will be hard as long as they have this team build.

Personally I'm still holding out hope for Reke being the starter at 3 but Salmons will mostlikely be it through December. If he can even be ok then that is enough for us.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Very true - and it depends on the system. I play 1 in and 4 out, and players almost never end up on the side they start, so I do the opposite.
    exactly. i've literally researched hundreds of offenses looking for the right one for my particular players at the time (and that I can comprehend enough to coach..... some of em are pretty damn complex)

;regardless, none of them ever call for any differences in skill set for the two wings.

its nice to have a wing that can help rebound
    its nice to have one that can help dribble
    its nice to have a wing that can really shoot
    its nice to have two wings that can do all of these things

Thats why my offense would be

Tyreke
    Jrue
    Gordon
    Davis
    Asik

and of course on defense it would go

jrue
    gordon
    tyreke
    aski
    davis

Having Davis and Asik will allow us to be a tad small on the peremiter

when ryno is in i figure he can guard the crappiest offensive player outta 3-5
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 10-08-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We know that Monty doesn't really stagger starters throughout the game, and because of that we can expect to see a full second unit of reserves for at least a few minutes every game. I took my best shot at what this second unit can look like, and how it might impact the game.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...g-second-unit/

Agree? Disagree? Is this your preferred unit, or do you want Monty to do something else?
    Forgive me for asking if it's been addressed, but ... why doesn't Monty stagger starters? The Pels seem like one of the teams with the most to gain by doing this. You've got five guys who can score, and you can always have at least two of them on the floor at the same time. I remember looking at 82games.com in the middle of last season and one thing jumped out at me. 1. The Pels always did extremely well with four or all five playing together (albiet the latter posed defensive issues and may not have been sustainable) and were solid with any three sharing the court ... but two or less and they got housed.

I feel like we should be able to play the majority of our minutes with a rim protector on the floor at all times and at MINIMUM one legit NBA scorer. If we see any lineups the equivalent of Steamer/Aminu/Morrow/Rivers/Roberts, or whatever we liked to run with at a given time to start the 2nd and 4th, then there's a big problem.

Thread Information