Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Pelicans Second Unit

The Pelicans Second Unit

We know that Monty doesn't really stagger starters throughout the game, and because of that we can expect to see a full second unit of reserves for at least a few minutes every game. I took my best shot at what this second unit can look like, and how it might impact the game.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...g-second-unit/

Agree? Disagree? Is this your preferred unit, or do you want Monty to do something else?
    @mcnamara247

Wow, great article. The potential for this team is staggering, and Monty's growth with improved chemistry and deadly shooting, man I cant wait for the season to start.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

My only issue with this lineup is that every minute Aijinca plays, you're not playing Davis or Asik. He's a fine 4th big, but the dropoff is tremendous and that lineup could really benefit from a little staggering to get one of those two guys on the court to help with rim defense and rebounding. I'm a proponent of Davis, Asik, and Anderson playing nearly all 96 big minutes.

I know it may be too soon, but I would to Austin and Russ on the court together playing relentless D on the opposing teams. Would be a tho g of beauty.

We also have potential to put together some slightly larger variations on the same theme, with Rivers, Tyreke, Miller/Babbit, Anderson, Aijinca/Asik/Davis. I do have to say, Jimmer's exciting and I'm on board for the Rivers, Jimmer, Tyreke trio. There's something to be said for nearly unlimited shooting range and the ability to knock down three's consistently off the dribble. I don't get why he can't be a very poor man's Steph Curry, which would be a valuable rotation player.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    My only issue with this lineup is that every minute Aijinca plays, you're not playing Davis or Asik. He's a fine 4th big, but the dropoff is tremendous and that lineup could really benefit from a little staggering to get one of those two guys on the court to help with rim defense and rebounding. I'm a proponent of Davis, Asik, and Anderson playing nearly all 96 big minutes.
    I agree with this 100%. But Monty's track record makes it hard for me to believe he will do it

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I know it may be too soon, but I would to Austin and Russ on the court together playing relentless D on the opposing teams. Would be a tho g of beauty.
    I could see Monty throwing Russ out there for 2-3 minutes to press a PG who can't handle in the second unit. Would be fun. But three balls are fun too and if Jimmer is on fire, that changes a game even more.

We also have potential to put together some slightly larger variations on the same theme, with Rivers, Tyreke, Miller/Babbit, Anderson, Aijinca/Asik/Davis. I do have to say, Jimmer's exciting and I'm on board for the Rivers, Jimmer, Tyreke trio. There's something to be said for nearly unlimited shooting range and the ability to knock down three's consistently off the dribble. I don't get why he can't be a very poor man's Steph Curry, which would be a valuable rotation player.
    I think Babbitt deserves to be a rotational player this season. Don't know how he sees the court, but I think he is a rotation stretch 4 on a playoff team.

I've been harping on Monty to not be so static in his rotations for years, but let's wait and see what Ajinca brings in 2014 before we pre-determine any drop offs when he plays yet. Give the guy a chance to prove what he's worked on over the summer.

Russ Smith is my favorite player after the top 6. I love our backup unit guards this year. They're all stand up guys and pretty well rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Russ Smith is my favorite player after the top 6. I love our backup unit guards this year. They're all stand up guys and pretty well rounded.
    Russ over Jimmer and Austin??? Thats a stretch. Time will tell I guess

Russ may be able to beat out Jimmer due to his defense. Also he was able to score 12 in just 16 minutes.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Russ may be able to beat out Austin due to his defense. Also he was able to score 12 in just 16 minutes.
    Adjusted

Reke is not a 6th man type. Last year showed that. Much better as a starter and part of the issue is Monty gives him less mins off the bench and he can't find his way into the game. Big difference between two 8 mins stretches per half and a single 8 min stretch where you have to immediately force the issue. That isn't Reke's game.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    Reke is not a 6th man type. Last year showed that. Much better as a starter and part of the issue is Monty gives him less mins off the bench and he can't find his way into the game. Big difference between two 8 mins stretches per half and a single 8 min stretch where you have to immediately force the issue. That isn't Reke's game.
    Reke never got 8 minutes stretches, he would come in at like the 6 or 5 minute marks then stay in for damn near a quarter worth of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Brief View Post
    Reke never got 8 minutes stretches, he would come in at like the 6 or 5 minute marks then stay in for damn near a quarter worth of minutes.
    He had plenty of 8 min stretches. He's also wasted as a 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I've been harping on Monty to not be so static in his rotations for years, but let's wait and see what Ajinca brings in 2014 before we pre-determine any drop offs when he plays yet. Give the guy a chance to prove what he's worked on over the summer.
    I like Aijinca, but unless he's either a superstar or a top 5 defensive center in the league, there's going to be a significant drop-off, and that's not a judgment on him as much as an acknowledgment that those two guys are really, really good.

You have been away for a while, but this statement is incorrect - and I suspect we will have to correct numerous others because this is a popular narrative.

Tyreke off the bench when Ryno was healthy - 20, 7, and 6 per 36. He was very, very good.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Really entertaining, but that's not news.... please keep it up....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You have been away for a while, but this statement is incorrect - and I suspect we will have to correct numerous others because this is a popular narrative.

Tyreke off the bench when Ryno was healthy - 20, 7, and 6 per 36. He was very, very good.
    Better as a starter and didn't play near 36 a night off the bench. His mins went down off the bench when Ryno got hurt until he was forced into the starting lineup, where he became a triple double threat almost every night.

Even Monty came out and said, you know what, Reke is better as a starter.

My rebuttal
    1. Monty never had two equally good centers in Asik and Davis
    2. Chemistry between starters need time. furthermore, Asik is not a good player. offensive might be not good during first ten games or more. To offset it, monty would need more Davis-Anderson combo
    3. in longterm playing C even against backup will help davis' game especially post moves

Banned
    We have some good players...but I don't know about consistent players. It will have to be a team concept that is for sure.

He had plenty of 8 min stretches. He's also wasted as a 6th man.
    Agreed. Start Jrue and Evans and Gordon can come off the bench until he proves he back to starter level.

Better as a starter and didn't play near 36 a night off the bench. His mins went down off the bench when Ryno got hurt until he was forced into the starting lineup, where he became a triple double threat almost every night.

Even Monty came out and said, you know what, Reke is better as a starter.
    We are not arguing the same things.

Is he better as a starter? Probably. Evidence seems to say yes.

Is he bad as a reserve? No! This is the narrative that needs to die.

As a starter, he was a solid A- (and an A at the very end of last year)

But as a reserve with Ryno, he was a B+, or even an A-

The point is that he can thrive in either role, with the right spacing. He is not great in one role, and bad or even mediocre in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We are not arguing the same things.

Is he better as a starter? Probably. Evidence seems to say yes.

Is he bad as a reserve? No! This is the narrative that needs to die.

As a starter, he was a solid A- (and an A at the very end of last year)

But as a reserve with Ryno, he was a B+, or even an A-

The point is that he can thrive in either role, with the right spacing. He is not great in one role, and bad or even mediocre in the other.
    I agree MM, and I think the place where people get into trouble on this topic is the fact that Monty didn't play him nearly enough minutes off the bench. When you and I say that we'd like to see him coming off the bench, it's only so that he can help the 2nd unit - not because he is a backup. We want him to come off the bench, but we also want him to get starter minutes! That's where the discrepancy is, I think, and Monty needs to be sure that if Reke is coming off the bench, he is getting over 30+ minutes every single game.

Thread Information