Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: First Preseason Game: Pelicans vs. Heat

So as someone who didn't really follow him closely but keeps hearing good things(including his performance tonight) does Luke Babbitt have the measurables to play the 3 for us? I mean at a starter level? He clearly has worked very hard to make some noise and has consistently been quoted in the offseason to be wanting to make a leap in improvement enough to win serious minutes.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 10-04-2014 at 11:53 PM.

It's only pre-season and since we couldn't watch the game it's a harder to jump at any conclusion but at least by reading the boxscore, the play-by-play and watching the highlitghts, there's few observation to make :

1°) Babbitt played some SF and seems confortable doing so. Of course I didn't saw him defend the opposing 3 (he said he worked on it this summer) but if he could be at least decent at it, I would be happy with him playing some solid minutes at this spot.

2°) The battle for the 4th big spot seems pretty open right now. With Ajinca sidelined, Young and Withey seems to have similar games, Withey did make more foul but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a 4th big. Also they did play against smaller frontcourt, so the difference could be on how they handle the bulkier/taller bigs.

3°) Rivers seems to be on par with his perfomance of late last year. Good to see and he seems to be effective as a defender against Wade.

4°) Speaking of back-up guards, Fredette and Smith performed well. If they can maintain this level of play into the regular season, they could be great incentive to play Evans extended minutes at the 3.

5°) Darius Miller started and was assertive on the offensive end with 12 shoots. Unfortunately his shot was off but still a huge plus comparing to his past. Can only hope he will keep this kind of confidence.

6°) About our actual starter, they didn't play for an extended period of the game but I like what I saw from the highlights with the use of Asik's passing skill.

Next game @ ATL, hope this one will be on TV.

Babbitt is actually very athletic, he had a 38" vertical at the combine and a faster agility than people like aminu, it's why he was drafted so high. Maybe if he gets the reps and defensive IQ he can become a better defender because he has the tools, not to mention now he has AD and asik behind him

I saw Austin finish in traffic with contact! With the left! So happy!

Very happy about this game. Maybe it's a little early to say so, but I think we've got a very good roster this season. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxSaints53 View Post
    Pic via Tiger Droppings:

A.D looking like Garnett in his prime already with that drive and one handed dunk with ease.

In the highlights at least, the ball movement was terrific. That's what stuck out to me. Drive and kick, swing it around the perimeter, open 3. Especially the 2nd unit. Of course, we had 19 turnovers or something like that, so it probably wasn't all that pretty... I like how we opened bench against starters in the 3rd and they really didn't gain much ground.

Rivers made 2 contested left hand layups. Great sign. One in the highlights and this one.
    http://instagram.com/p/twbCljS_nv/

Thread Information