Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN's top 500

ESPN's top 500

They're down to 121 and we still have 6 players yet to be ranked. Could it be we land 6 in the top 100???

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-no-2014/

If so, it's kind of ironic to have six in the top 100 and none ranked up120-300

that kind of 'top-heavy'-ness is what made us so susceptible to injuries like last year.

Austin Rivers
    New Orleans Pelicans
    SG | Age: 22 | Stats
    2013 rank: #286
    @AustinRivers25

John Salmons
    New Orleans Pelicans
    SF | Age: 34 | Stats
    2013 rank: #289
    @PelicansNBA

Jimmer Fredette
    New Orleans Pelicans
    PG | Age: 25 | Stats
    2013 rank: #287
    @jimmerfredette

Jeff Withey
    New Orleans Pelicans
    C | Age: 24 | Stats
    2013 rank: #387
    @JeffWithey

Alexis Ajinca
    New Orleans Pelicans
    C | Age: 26 | Stats
    2013 rank: NR
    @AjincaAlexis42

Darius Miller
    New Orleans Pelicans
    SF | Age: 24 | Stats
    2013 rank: #380
    @uknum1

Patric Young
    PF | Age: 22 | Stats
    @BigPatYoung4

Luke Babbitt
    New Orleans Pelicans
    SF | Age: 25 | Stats
    2013 rank: #NR
    @PelicansNBA

Russ Smith
    PG | Age: 23 | Stats
    @Im_Russdiculous

I know it won't be popular, SO FEEL FREE NOT TO RESPOND but I would diluted the talent by trading one of our best assets cause teams want him and his contract- Ryan Anderson. Hell, for Anderson we could get a starting SF and a quality big.

Then I'd back that up with trading Gordon after early season success.
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 10-03-2014 at 11:45 AM.

I mean, guys like Trey Burke are 118. I am guessing our lowest guy of the 6 is Asik. He is far better than Burke, so yes, we SHOULD have 6 in the top 100.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I mean, guys like Trey Burke are 118. I am guessing our lowest guy of the 6 is Asik. He is far better than Burke, so yes, we SHOULD have 6 in the top 100.
    I guess they based their ranking off his tournament run at Michigan and not on his performance in the NBA.

austin rivers and jeff whitey for harrison barnes? lol. would be great

Ryan Anderson
    Jeff Whitey

for

Ersan Ilyasova
    Kris Middleton
    Damien Ingles

How in the world is Burke 118? He should be way lower.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    How in the world is Burke 118? He should be way lower.
    I think they meant that to be his PG rank.

Seriously, though. I don't get the world where he is 118 and Rivers is 300. I think those two guys are a toss up. When you factor in defense, I rate them the same.

This thread has an extra helping of bitter.

To be fair, Burke is pegged between two guys that are solid bench players.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Burke is ahead of Draymond Green and Jeff Green. I can't imagine a world in which he is more valuable than either of those guys.

Burk is behind Channing Frye and McBob. I can't imagine a world in which they are more valuable than Burke.

I don't see a problem with the ranking. He was a rookie last year playing for a bad coach. He is in a system now that should showcase his and Exum more. Will be a fun season for Utah.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-03-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Burk is behind Channing Frye and McBob. I can't imagine a world in which they are more valuable than Burke.
    That world existed last season. You don't have to imagine it

Seriously, when I saw the list, and I saw Burke was rated so high my mind shot to you and how you would be upset. I wasn't aware that you thought he and Rivers should be in different positions (do you want them to be ranked closer together/switch spots/Rivers should be ranked higher). Why don't you like Burke? I like Burke because I am a Michigan homer, so lets be clear on that, but I also think given my understanding of how bad Ty Corbin was, and what Burke did to close out his season, there is reason to show optimism for his game going forward.

Upset?

If an NBA Rank list ever got me upset, I should reevaluate my life.

Answer the real question...did Burke take some money from you and never pay you back?

I don't recall you spitting this much vitriol at any non-Pelican player before (or maybe thats just me seeing what I want to see mixed with not following all of your posts).

I am not knocking your opinion, I just don't know how you got to your opinion.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-03-2014 at 01:06 PM.

yeah I wouldnt say Burke is that bad. i love rivers but I would still give the edge to burke
    I'm a grinder

Answer the real question...did Burke take some money from you and never pay you back?

I don't recall you spitting this much vitriol at any non-Pelican player before (or maybe thats just me seeing what I want to see mixed with not following all of your posts).

I am not knocking your opinion, I just don't know how you got to your opinion.
    Vitriol? I said he and Rivers are about on the same level. So, do I hate Rivers too?

Or am I just an analyst using his eyes and the data to draw a conclusion?

Burke was a bad player last season. Better than Tinsley, but still bad. He started off hot, iirc, but quickly and sharply faded. Still young, though.

Frye was an actually good player last season. His defense was ok, but he was a huge part of the Sun's run last season because of his ability to pull bigs away from the basket and convert 3s at a high level.

It's time we had an intervention Miguel. You have been criticizing Trey Burke since the NCAA Finals 2 years ago. It has gone on for a while now. When he is mentioned, you always fall back to negative criticism of him. What gives man. What happened? Your in the company of friends and people who care about you.

TS%, eFG%, defense, FT rate, spot up 3pt%, steal % - advantage Rivers

Assist %, FT% - advantage Burke

Everything else - eerily similar

There is not a 180 player gap between these two

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Burke is ahead of Draymond Green and Jeff Green. I can't imagine a world in which he is more valuable than either of those guys.
    Burke > Green/Green?

Yet Burke is the one who is "green"?

I'm sorry.
    Ready for 5 o'clock.

It's time we had an intervention Miguel. You have been criticizing Trey Burke since the NCAA Finals 2 years ago. It has gone on for a while now. When he is mentioned, you always fall back to negative criticism of him. What gives man. What happened? Your in the company of friends and people who care about you.
    Some just can't read. Never thought he would be terrible. He won't be an All-Star or even close. Just like Rivers.

Fine player. Not a good one. Wont be a great one. He's fine.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Upset?

If an NBA Rank list ever got me upset, I should reevaluate my life.
    This.

Seems like Rivers and Burke were also facing different competition. One was putting up 32 min a game (meaning the bulk of his time was among starters), while the others was putting in 19 (meaning the bulk of his pt came against backups). I am not saying Rivers numbers aren't impressive considering how far he has come from that guy who played like a mix of dumpster fire and chicken with his head cut off his rookie year, but I am also not going to say his numbers are more impressive than Burke's because one was playing against guys who are on the fringe of an NBA career, while the other was logging most of his minuets against guys who are established in the league.

JMHO.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-03-2014 at 01:30 PM.

This list is about to take an interesting turn coming up in the next 50 slots. I would say of our 6 remaining the shakeout will be something like the following:

Top 10 - AD
    Top 50- Jrue
    Top 60- Ryno
    Top 75- Evans
    Top 100- Aisk
    Top 110- Gordon

Obviosuly opinions will differ, but people are going to go from "No, this list doesn't bother me." to " This list is ludicrous. How is _____ ranked higher than _____(Pelicans player)."
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Trey Burke's last game of the season he had 32 points 9 assists 7 rebounds

and during his last month he averaged 15.6 ppg and 9 assists

not too bad for a rookie. Given, his shooting percentages are dirt poor but then again Austin grew a lot after year 1

He's still ranked too high though

lmao burke is rated higher than tobias harris, gerald green and the soon to be great john henson. to me, those are crazy-

Thread Information