Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your OVERALL rebranding grade?

What is your OVERALL rebranding grade?

Smoothie King Center

Jerseys

Name itself

Pierre

The Court

Anything Else I missed

Now that the rebrand is pretty much fully complete minus our eventual Mardi Gras jerseys, what is your overall grade and why?
    @mcnamara247

Eeeehh...this is difficult. A rebrand was necessary so that by itself is a positive. But considering everything this far...maybe 6 or 7/10. The jerseys are a huge part of a rebrand and ours in my opinion suck, and suck badly. But the court is good (not as good as it could have been, but good), the name is great (i preferred brass but still a great name), pierre...well, i don't really care about mascots so yeah. Overall it's a decent rebrand (and i'm looking closely at the hornets to see what they'll do better/worse) but i wish that a city with the history and uniqueness of new orleans had done something good with those damn jerseys. Something more personal and unique than a friggin slash on the numbers. Ok, rant over. Still wish they'd gone with bigdub designs anyway *sigh*

SKC- TBD; Need to see all three phases completed
    Jerseys- C; I hate the small font and not too fond of the collars
    Pelicans- B+; Dig the effort to locally tie the team to the region
    Pierre- B-; Would have been an A+ if they kept the previous version
    Court- B; With regards to the new version, I would have liked the CCBs on the baselines to be replaced by Fleur-De-Lis and the Fleur-De-Li at half court to be replaced with the CCB logo. A catch phrase like the one the Cavs employ, "All for one, one for all," would have been awesome. I appreciate their effort to upgrade from last year's version nevertheless...clearly I'm a little OCD

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Smoothie King Center

Jerseys

Name itself

Pierre

The Court

Anything Else I missed

Now that the rebrand is pretty much fully complete minus our eventual Mardi Gras jerseys, what is your overall grade and why?
    Smoothie King Center: B+ I have no qualms with our sponsor. I felt we handled this well.

Jerseys: D-- It's not easy creating a sexy jersey, but I felt like the phoned it in and just went with the simplest design they could find. JMO of course

Team Name: D+ If I'm being honest, it's a turrible name. It's just goofy to pronounce, and it's a silly name. Having said that, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore so I gave it a D++

Pierre: Old Pierre A- New Pierre F: Pierre went from being the most intimidating bird I've ever seen to a Watered down family friendly Toucan Sam *******. He was the one thing that made our team look fierce.

The Court: A- I think the logo and the court are the strongest aspect of our rebuild.

Overall: C-

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Smoothie King Center - C+
    A sponsor was needed. Although a local business, I can't help but think that we are one step above a "BurgerKing Arena".
    However, I do like the moniker "The Blender".

Jerseys - A
    I enjoy the classy, timeless look. The font is great and the striping down the side is nice and love the gold details.
    However, the size on the front is much too small considering the size of the numbers. I also think that the new alternates should have been our away jerseys from the start. I hope our Mardi Gras alternates in the future are of the same color scheme.
    Please....Please....PLEASE NO SLEEVES!
    Also, I hate the NBA logo on the back of all jerseys. I miss the secondary logos. (much classier)

Name itself - A
    This was my 2nd choice, only being surpassed by Voodoo. It ties in the local flavor while also allowing for an evil, fearless bird on our logo.

Pierre - first A, then C
    Scary Pierre grew on me, as he frightened children/opposing players. New Pierre looks much more like a Pelican, but I am a fan of scary, over-the-top mascots.

The Court - first C, now B+
    The first design only needed a few color swaps, logo changes. While I'm starting to like the changes, I am missing some small things like the paint being.........well..... painted. It is quite nice that we are pioneers when it comes to the changes. I wish we would have done something intricate with the wood itself, much like Charlotte. (who's court gets an A+ from me)

Also, Where is the Bird-de-lis? (my favorite logo)

Anything Else I missed -
    The new practice facility is quite nice and a good excuse for the guys getting work in the early offseason.
    New paint & upgrades to the SKC are very nice, although still waiting on an improved scoreboard/sound system.

All that's left is playoffs & championship contention!

I think it's been a big improvement but I still am not a fan of the name compared to alternatives or our color scheme. The jerseys are fairly tacky still and frankly wish the red alternates were our main jersey.

I honestly thought everything would have grown on me more then it has. Still, I like the improvement to the court.

It did what it intended to do and the brand now stands out as unique because of the name and court. I give it a solid B.

It' ok. The logo and all is solid, but there was so much more New Orleansy stuff they could have used instead of a Pelican

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    In totality, I give the team in an A. In terms of rebranding, we're the 2004 Pistons. A sum greater than our parts. I can't give any one part of our rebrand a grade better than A except the court. The Jerseys look like Hawks knockoffs and there's not nearly enough New Orleanization to make hijacking someone elses color scheme worth it. New Pierre is blah, Old Pierre wouldve at least been unique in his strangeness. The name is okay, but it appears that there at least 3 names (VooDoo, Brass, Krewe) the fan base wouldve preferred. Solid B for Louisiana ties, though. The Smoothie King Center sucks, but they pay for it in legit US legal tender, so there's that. Also, the Blender has much potential. All in all, a nice court, a name with unique relevence, and the possibility of a cool nickname for the home gym leaves me satisfied.

WELCOME TO THE BLENDER!

WHERE OPPONENT'S DREAMS ARE TURNED TO SLUSH!

I give it a 6, because, to me, the name Pelicans is the only iconic thing about the brand. Everything else is all fine and not offensive at the expense of being interesting.

Initially I was hoping for some unusual colors to make us stand out. Would have loved purple, green, and gold. Feel that if they applied that color scheme to these "classic" styled jerseys and our generic/menacing logo we'd be pretty well set.

Instead, we have colors that are so heavily used around the league already. There IS a very French vibe to the color scheme which is nice and locally relevant, and the colors are balanced really well on the new court. But with these colors, we need something more than "classic" jerseys and an angry looking pelican/hawk/grizzly bear/hornet type logo. If i was sitting at the rebrand table, I would have maybe made a nod to mardi indian culture and found a way to make the feathers and wings more colorful and iconic. This concept logo had cool wings:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-Orleans-Pelicans-Logo-Concept.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	5745

Instead, we decided to go with a menacing delta airlines pin.

Name:	w129_delta_pilot_wing_front.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	5746

So yeah overall kinda bummed that a city as unique as New Orleans gets a rebrand that, more than anything, feels calculated, safe, and a bit corporate

I give the Smoothie King Center sponsorship an A+. Its a local company selling a good product that can actually be enjoyed at games and I think we all know plenty of corporate sponsorships that could be a lot worse.

A+ on the basics of the rebrand, (name, colors, logos). How those elements were applied gets a C+. The court and uniforms are okay but are a few tweaks away from being excellent. Slapping the "Pelicans" from the red alternates on the home whites and finding a way to enlarge the "New Orleans" on the away blues would really tie those jerseys together. The pelican beak design going down the sides of the uniform and pelican logo on the shorts also look really awkward.

Does replacing Bob and Gil with Joel Meyers and David Wesley count as part of the rebrand? If so I give that an A+. Joel Meyers seems like one of the best in the business and David Wesley was one of my favorite Hornets from the early days.

I'll just comment on the Smoothie King Center. It may sound funny to outsiders but it is a New Orleans institution. It's like if the arena in L.A. were called the In and Out Center. The rest of the country might mock it but people in SoCal would know and love it. Well, Clippers fans anyway.

I give it an A.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's like if the arena in L.A. were called the In and Out Center.
    There are so many jokes that I can't make on this forum. Why did you do this to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Welksta View Post
    Does replacing Bob and Gil with Joel Meyers and David Wesley count as part of the rebrand? If so I give that an A+. Joel Meyers seems like one of the best in the business and David Wesley was one of my favorite Hornets from the early days.
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    WELCOME TO THE BLENDER!

WHERE OPPONENT'S DREAMS ARE TURNED TO SLUSH!
    Serioulsly can i get some credit for at least bringing up the name? haha
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

This thread is really making me miss OG Pierre the Pelican

http://media.jrn.com/images/USATSI_7571674.jpg

RIP , good times my G
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 10-02-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Smoothie King Center

Jerseys

Name itself

Pierre

The Court

Anything Else I missed

I'm OK with the name Smoothie King Center, and I'm glad it's getting upgrades. It would have been nice for a better company to buy the naming rights, but it sat unpurchased for so long that I guess you take what you can get. C+

The new red jerseys are a huge improvement over the regular jerseys, so we're at least moving in a positive direction here. C (B for the new ones, D for the old ones)

The name itself still sucks. D

Pierre sucks, but less than he sucked before. C-

The new court is a massive upgrade from the old one. Huge move in the right direction. A-

Before grading unis... remember a 4th set comes out next offseason... so that should get an incomplete grade until this time next year
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Smoothie King Center- B

Jerseys- B+

Name itself- D-

Pierre- INC

The Court- A-

Anything Else I missed

All in all I'd say a C+ on the rebrand. The Name IMO really is dragging down the overall grade. Pelicans just sound awkward saying. Having to say my team are the Pelicans just makes it silly IMO. Even if the logo used the bird itself I'm cool with that, but the word is just clumsy and doesn't flow.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-02-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whomdoyouwork4 View Post
    I give it a 6, because, to me, the name Pelicans is the only iconic thing about the brand. Everything else is all fine and not offensive at the expense of being interesting.

Initially I was hoping for some unusual colors to make us stand out. Would have loved purple, green, and gold. Feel that if they applied that color scheme to these "classic" styled jerseys and our generic/menacing logo we'd be pretty well set.

Instead, we have colors that are so heavily used around the league already. There IS a very French vibe to the color scheme which is nice and locally relevant, and the colors are balanced really well on the new court. But with these colors, we need something more than "classic" jerseys and an angry looking pelican/hawk/grizzly bear/hornet type logo. If i was sitting at the rebrand table, I would have maybe made a nod to mardi indian culture and found a way to make the feathers and wings more colorful and iconic. This concept logo had cool wings:

Name:	New-Orleans-Pelicans-Logo-Concept.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	5745

Instead, we decided to go with a menacing delta airlines pin.

Name:	w129_delta_pilot_wing_front.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	5746

So yeah overall kinda bummed that a city as unique as New Orleans gets a rebrand that, more than anything, feels calculated, safe, and a bit corporate
    Hey sir Delta is the greatest Airline ever in the entire world

Nah dude Kobe's the greatest to ever play the game

Name- C Meh

Jerseys- C-/ Home is boring, Away is OK, could use more flavor, I love the new alternative. I wish they increased the fonts on the first two.

Mascot- C-/ Mehhh old Pierre was a B

Court- B+ - A little more color would be suffice but much improved over last seasons.

Overall- C+
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

The rebrand if anything has the pelicans even more obscure with your average Louisianian; nevertheless its pretty cool
    but once we START WINNING SOME GAMES AND GETTING NATIONAL ATTENTION I believe our REBRAND will be an absolute A+
    for everyone. Bumper stickers, jerseys, tatoo's, ect......everyone will love the pelicans.... once AD brings us on a deep trip into the playoffs

I'll tell you what... I think we're finding out why rebrands like this generally take 2 years or so to do... everything felt rushed at 1st... now it's all starting to come together really well

this team has a very bright future... and it'll be very soon

Thread Information