Pelicans Report

Thread: The drive and kick game. A look at some of our guys.

The drive and kick game. A look at some of our guys.

NBA.com lets you keep track of how many points are generated after a player's drive. Some interesting things I found.
    http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=DES

Per 48 on individual points created our guards rank as follows:

Tyreke: Tied 1st overall with 11.4
    Rivers: 7th overall with 9.6
    Holiday: 38th overall with 6.9
    Gordon: 45th overall with 6.6

But here is where things get interesting. They also allow you to track how many points the TEAM gets after each drive to account for drive and kicks. I normalized that to per 48 minutes like the previous stat and found:

Tyreke: 1st overall with 20.01 Team points created
    Rivers: 14th overall with 14.27 team points created
    Holiday 17th overall with 13.49 team points created
    Gordon: 58th overall with 9.51 team points created.

This told me that Rivers and Tyreke were elite in their driving game, despite River's struggles at the rim. And Tyreke, Rivers, and Jrue were all really good at generating points for the team every time we drive.

Although for all you Monty haters - this is perfect for George Karl's dribble drive offense.

Full google doc with my adjustment here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ukA/edit#gid=0

What about points produced per drive? Also, I thought the team attempted the most drives per game (or close to it) so it makes sense that we have a lot of players that rank high in points produced per game/48 from drives.

Thanks for this!

The team stat highlights the immense value of Tyreke's biggest skill: destroying interior defenses with drives. Doesn't even matter if it's a make, miss, or a pass once he's at the hoop. Last year, so many missed layups turned into ugly assists for AD. Is there a better way to capitalize on AD's world class speed/agility/length than setting a bomb off in the paint, throwing the ball up to the rim, and seeing who makes a play? So excited to see those two on the court together again!

This is not surprising. Tyreke is one of the best in the entire league at driving and Rivers is young but clearly very skilled as well.

Another interesting stat is Tyreke was 2nd in the league in assists per game by the 3. Behind only LBJ. This also explains why he was so good at generating points for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    What about points produced per drive? Also, I thought the team attempted the most drives per game (or close to it) so it makes sense that we have a lot of players that rank high in points produced per game/48 from drives.
    Pts per drive:
    Gordon: 9th with .8
    Rivers: 22nd with .73
    Reke: 43rd with .65
    Jrue: 57th with .6

Team Pts/drive:

Jrue: 34
    Gordon: 44
    Reke: 48
    Rivers: 75

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Pts per drive:
    Gordon: 9th with .8
    Rivers: 22nd with .73
    Reke: 43rd with .65
    Jrue: 57th with .6

Team Pts/drive:

Jrue: 34
    Gordon: 44
    Reke: 48
    Rivers: 75
    Thanks! Tyreke and Gordon basically flip flop.

Man, if Gordon truly has his explosion back, I look forward to watching him getting even more efficient on his drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Man, if Gordon truly has his explosion back, I look forward to watching him getting even more efficient on his drives.
    Keep in mind that refs were also really harsh on Gordon last year. Hopefully he gets more respect as his game picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Keep in mind that refs were also really harsh on Gordon last year. Hopefully he gets more respect as his game picks up.
    Your avatar reminds me of EG's face when he doesn't get a call.

Thread Information