Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Lineup?

Our Lineup?

Do yall think this will most likely be our lineup?

Jrue/Russ
    Gordon/rivers/jimmer
    Tyreke/salmons/miller
    AD/ryno/babbitt
    Asik/ajinca/young

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Yes

jimmer's gonna be where russ is but the rest looks good

The Franchise
    Jrue/Rivers/Tyreke/Russ
    Gordon/Rivers/Jrue/Jimmer
    Tyreke/Salmons/Ryno/Miller
    AD/Ryno/Babbitt
    Asik/Ajinca/Davis/Young

I would say this would be the distribution of minutes per position if I was guessing

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Rivers is going to be primarily the backup PG. I doubt Smith sees anything more than garbage time this season. Injuries barring of course.

Did we trade or release Withey?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Do yall think this will most likely be our lineup?

Jrue/Russ
    Gordon/rivers/jimmer
    Tyreke/salmons/miller
    AD/ryno/babbitt
    Asik/ajinca/young
    NO.

Holiday/Rivers/Russ
    Gordon/Evans/Jimmer
    Salmons/Evans/Miller
    AD/Ryno/Babbitt
    Asik/Ajinca/Withey/Young

The main 6, Rivers, Salmons, and Ajinca play if everyone is healthy. If Monty goes to a 10 man rotation, Jimmer gets a few minutes.
    @mcnamara247

Based on the comment I heard yesterday by Monty on media day, being "Evans isn't a small forward," in conjunction with Evans' hamstring injury on the eve of training camp, I suspect that Evans will come off the bench, with Salmons starting at SF. At least initially.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Jimmer has to get a lot of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    Jimmer has to get a lot of minutes.
    If he does, then things have gone terribly, terribly wrong and are about to get worse.

I imagine Jimmer will see in the neighborhood of 5 minutes a game... if that... roughly getting in about mid-2nd qtr and mid-3rd qtrs to help spread the floor more w/ RYNO while the second unit is in

we all know the 1st unit is Jrue, EJ, 'Reke or Salmons, AD & Asik

the 2nd 5 should be Rivers, Jimmer, Evans or Salmons (whoever isn't starting), RYNO, Ajinca

Jimmer could/would lose out in situational match-ups or if Monty decides to use an 8 or 9 man rotation... he's truly the 10th man right now... needed only if we need even more shooters than we already have
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

iF TYREKE IS AT sf HIS PRODUCTION WILL DECLINE AGAIN

If everything works right, everyone except AD will see declining production. We have a variety of weapons, and we should hope that all of them are firing and spreading out the points rather than hogging the ball. If Tyreke has Jrue and Ryan working with him, he doesn't need to score as many points. I do expect AD to be featured and to increase in every category per minute played. The success of our season will depend on how EFFICIENT our players can become so we avoid wasted possessions, and how many minutes our top 6 players are available due to wonderful health. Yay health!

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    I imagine Jimmer will see in the neighborhood of 5 minutes a game... if that... roughly getting in about mid-2nd qtr and mid-3rd qtrs to help spread the floor more w/ RYNO while the second unit is in

we all know the 1st unit is Jrue, EJ, 'Reke or Salmons, AD & Asik

the 2nd 5 should be Rivers, Jimmer, Evans or Salmons (whoever isn't starting), RYNO, Ajinca

Jimmer could/would lose out in situational match-ups or if Monty decides to use an 8 or 9 man rotation... he's truly the 10th man right now... needed only if we need even more shooters than we already have
    I don't think Jimmer will be fighting at all over the 2 spot, he's more of a 1 and has played more comfortably there. Go back and look at the post-training interviews yesterday. Russ said quite a few times in the interview how "rusty" he felt in picking up the sets and schemes. If you're not considering Jimmer, this team has just 1 sure PG in Jrue. I think Smith will be a huge hole out there if he's allowed to come in with the backup minutes from day 1.

In the interview, Jimmer said it all looked basically like what he's seen in Chicago and Sacramento. I think Jimmer's going to fill the main role as the back-up guard to Jrue. He may roll over to the 2 at times, when a small line-up is used, but I think his majority of minutes are used at the 1. I don't think you put a rookie, picked 47th in the draft, as the backup point guard behind Jrue. Sense dictates that Russ rides the pine for the first half of the season playing garbage time and spot minutes until he gets the sets down. He had a good summer league, but this is a whole different ball game.

John Reid said he thought Jimmer would be getting 15-18 minutes a night, that sounds about right to me if he is the go-to backup PG. He's here to replace Morrow as a shooter, and I think he'll get his minutes too. I think that happens at the PG position which is looking pretty thin at the moment. I think Gordon and Rivers will be playing the 2, with Tyreke moving between the 2-3 when circumstance dictates.

I really don't think Jimmer will get near that many minutes. At the most, him and Rivers will split equal time at the backup guard spots. With Jrue and Gordon getting 35 minutes each at guard and Evans 10 or so, that leaves only 18 minutes total between the rest of our guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I really don't think Jimmer will get near that many minutes. At the most, him and Rivers will split equal time at the backup guard spots. With Jrue and Gordon getting 35 minutes each at guard and Evans 10 or so, that leaves only 18 minutes total between the rest of our guards.
    I think there's plenty of time for Jimmer if we're basically taking Russ Smith out of the equation until he gets more comfortable in the NBA. Here's what I think will happen out of the 48 min we have per game:

Starting Lineup:
    PG- Holiday 33 min
    SG Gordon 33 min
    SF Tyreke 33 min
    PF Davis 35 min
    C Asik 30 min

Bench Lineup:
    PG- Jimmer/Rivers 15 min
    SG Rivers/Jimmer 15 min
    SF Salmons 15 min
    PF Anderson 13 min
    C Alexi Ajinca 18 min

A couple things here.

#1: I watched Salmons play a lot in Sacramento. He's a great guy, but a very, very quiet player. I don't think you'll see him starting ever on this team while Tyreke is healthy. He's a good role-player/backup though and I think that's exactly where he'll stay.

#2: I think Jimmer will mostly come in at the 1 because he's too small defensively, but I don't think that matters much, because with both Jimmer and Rivers on the court, either one can bring the ball up the court on the offensive end.

#3: I think Tyreke could come in at the 2 on occasions, but I think it will be rare because that leaves the 3 open to Salmons, which is a big 'no-no' imo. Salmons could be a starter on a crappy team like Sacramento, but I think the Pels have enough talent to not need to do that barring injury.

So I honestly have no hesitation in believing that Jimmer and Austin will both be playing somewhere in the range of 13 - 18 min a night. That's how I would do it.
    Last edited by Pelicanned; 10-01-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    NO.

Holiday/Rivers/Russ
    Gordon/Evans/Jimmer
    Salmons/Evans/Miller
    AD/Ryno/Babbitt
    Asik/Ajinca/Withey/Young

The main 6, Rivers, Salmons, and Ajinca play if everyone is healthy. If Monty goes to a 10 man rotation, Jimmer gets a few minutes.
    If Tyreke comes off the bench again Monty needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanned View Post
    I think there's plenty of time for Jimmer if we're basically taking Russ Smith out of the equation until he gets more comfortable in the NBA. Here's what I think will happen out of the 48 min we have per game:

Starting Lineup:
    PG- Holiday 33 min
    SG Gordon 33 min
    SF Tyreke 33 min
    PF Davis 35 min
    C Asik 30 min

Bench Lineup:
    PG- Jimmer/Rivers 15 min
    SG Rivers/Jimmer 15 min
    SF Salmons 15 min
    PF Anderson 13 min
    C Alexi Ajinca 18 min

A couple things here.

#1: I watched Salmons play a lot in Sacramento. He's a great guy, but a very, very quiet player. I don't think you'll see him starting ever on this team while Tyreke is healthy. He's a good role-player/backup though and I think that's exactly where he'll stay.

#2: I think Jimmer will mostly come in at the 1 because he's too small defensively, but I don't think that matters much, because with both Jimmer and Rivers on the court, either one can bring the ball up the court on the offensive end.

#3: I think Tyreke could come in at the 2 on occasions, but I think it will be rare because that leaves the 3 open to Salmons, which is a big 'no-no' imo. Salmons could be a starter on a crappy team like Sacramento, but I think the Pels have enough talent to not need to do that barring injury.

So I honestly have no hesitation in believing that Jimmer and Austin will both be playing somewhere in the range of 13 - 18 min a night. That's how I would do it.
    There is no way Anderson only plays 13 minutes unless of course they ease him into things.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    If Tyreke comes off the bench again Monty needs to be fired.
    Not if him and Anderson come in at the same time.

Not if him and Anderson come in at the same time.
    It was pretty apparent last year that Tyreke was much better starting than off the bench. Benching him would be the most Monty thing he could do

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    It was pretty apparent last year that Tyreke was much better starting than off the bench. Benching him would be the most Monty thing he could do
    He was just as good coming off the bench with Anderson as he was as a starter.

He was just as good coming off the bench with Anderson as he was as a starter.
    I think there is a big difference coming off the bench. He should play a huge role in our offense this year, and with him starting he can play more like it's his show and he can grow into the game rather than feeling like he has to come in and provide an immediate spark

Coming off the bench behind Eric Gordon comes with a different mentality, not to mention he is a much better player than Eric Gordon

If Reke only plays well as a starter, I don't really want him on the team. If you're a good player, you'll be good whether it's as a starter or reserve. I don't get the "I play better as a starter" talk. Coming off the bench doesn't seem to bother Ryno, Manu, or J. Crawford.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Too bad it's not his show when he is on the floor with Davis and I don't think he is "much" better than Gordon.

Too bad it's not his show when he is on the floor with Davis and I don't think he is "much" better than Gordon.
    Too bad AD can't bring the ball up the floor and run the offense. If you don't think he played much better than Gordon last year you aren't really worth arguing with.

Thread Information