Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If Reke only plays well as a starter, I don't really want him on the team. If you're a good player, you'll be good whether it's as a starter or reserve. I don't get the "I play better as a starter" talk. Coming off the bench doesn't seem to bother Ryno, Manu, or J. Crawford.
    Well it clearly bothered Tyreke last year

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits...3/tyreke-evans

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post

To play devil's advocate, here are his stats over the stretch that Ryan Anderson played:

Per 36 those are 20.5 pts 7.3 rebs 6.6 asts.

I'd still rather see him start than Gordon, but at least Evans is receptive to coming off the bench. The team also went 12-8 over those 20 games with Evans coming off the bench with Anderson.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar

Stats only tell part of a story. Look at what Kibner wrote: when Tyreke came off the bench WITH RYNO, he was just as good, averaging over 20-5-5. If you include all of Tyreke's bench minutes, most of it would include the times where the roster and bench were depleted by injury. When we had a healthy squad, Reke was fine off the bench.

Anthony Morrow was probably more effective than Eric Gordon last season. If he was a no name on a small contract people wouldn't have thought anything of him.. Tyreke actually showed he can take over games and contribute in multiple ways.

The numbers with Ryno look good I will give you that. I just think Tyreke should be playing a bigger role this season and be the #2 guy

Too bad AD can't bring the ball up the floor and run the offense. If you don't think he played much better than Gordon last year you aren't really worth arguing with.
    I don't care much for Tyreke and didn't like his signing. He loses a lot of his value when there is someone else on the team who is better with the ball in their hands. I don't think he is a "much better" player than Gordon. Better, sure. Not "much better".

I'm biased against Evans and have a soft spot for Gordon. Those are my biases so judge my arguments with them in mind.

As far as something I can say Gordon did better than Evans (other than jump-shooting), he generated significantly more team points per possession on his drives than Tyreke. He didn't drive nearly as much, but was still really close in team points per game generated by drive

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Yes
    I called russ smith as the primary backup pg on this board over months ago and got slammed for it by most, not to be an *****... but shove it to those of you who did....
    to my main point, That lineup you showed seems right, yet salmons and reke will alternate starting depending on the matchup provided everyone is healthy.. thats all folks...

If Reke only plays well as a starter, I don't really want him on the team. If you're a good player, you'll be good whether it's as a starter or reserve. I don't get the "I play better as a starter" talk. Coming off the bench doesn't seem to bother Ryno, Manu, or J. Crawford.
    Its an ego thing dude... these guys are the biggest primadonnas youll ever see, theyve had nothing but everybody tell them theyre the best thing since white freaking rice... its all confidence, thats why reke played better starting.... and you want him off the team??? wake up man.

jrue tyreke
    gordon jimmer
    dj stephens babbit
    AD ryno
    asik AD

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    jrue tyreke
    gordon jimmer
    dj stephens babbit
    AD ryno
    asik AD
    LOL
    No way Stephens who is 6'5" will be our starting SF ahead of Evans, Miller, Salmons or even Babbitt.

Austin said Darius's 3 ball looks much improved & he's gotten into good shape. Dark-horse for starting SF if Monty doesnt want to start Reke?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I don't care much for Tyreke and didn't like his signing. He loses a lot of his value when there is someone else on the team who is better with the ball in their hands. I don't think he is a "much better" player than Gordon. Better, sure. Not "much better".

I'm biased against Evans and have a soft spot for Gordon. Those are my biases so judge my arguments with them in mind.
    Most people are the opposite so you take their opinion with a grain of salt as well
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans25_ZERO View Post
    Its an ego thing dude... these guys are the biggest primadonnas youll ever see, theyve had nothing but everybody tell them theyre the best thing since white freaking rice... its all confidence, thats why reke played better starting.... and you want him off the team??? wake up man.
    so when Reke says that he needs to start, its an ego thing and when EG does the same he's a ****** bag? That's what most were saying when EG said he prefers to start

Just watched Monty interview it looks like he really doesn't want to start Reke, kept referencing the Spurs. Then he talked about spacing but starting Aminu was cool with Spacing? Just don't be surprised seeing Salmons being our starter.

1-6

Most people are the opposite so you take their opinion with a grain of salt as well
    Yup, which is why I frequently agree to disagree and stop discussing something I obviously don't agree with. Otherwise, I would spend every waking hour arguing with people that are convinced Davis was a candidate for DPotY or that Monty is a know-nothing coach that doesn't adjust over the course of a game or season.

John Reid ‏@JohnReid64 4m4 minutes ago

Pelicans' Monty Williams said they are still not sure who will start at SF -John Salmons, Darius Miller and Luke Babbitt are competing.

The starting SF is likely not going to play starter minutes. We'll see a lot of 3 guard lineups and things where that guy isn't featured. So I'm totally fine with Miller or Salmons starting and getting like 20 a game, then letting Reke get 30+ at all three perimeter positions.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    The starting SF is likely not going to play starter minutes. We'll see a lot of 3 guard lineups and things where that guy isn't featured. So I'm totally fine with Miller or Salmons starting and getting like 20 a game, then letting Reke get 30+ at all three perimeter positions.
    If Darius did in fact tune up his 3 point shot I would start him. He facilitates better than most SFs and thats what we're gonna need with so many scorers.

so when Reke says that he needs to start, its an ego thing and when EG does the same he's a ****** bag? That's what most were saying when EG said he prefers to start
    not necessarily an ego thing, it's a different role. If we are gonna be a threat in the West this year we need a big season from Tyreke. He should be setting the tone, not coming off the bench, in my opinion
    Last edited by speedyG; 10-02-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Correct, our starting SF will not play many minutes. But it should be Babbit. He more so than the others, makes the defense feel as if the open three will be made if this guy gets it off. He was the 16th pick in 2010 and is now 25; hence entering his prime

Darius, Babbit, Salmons........ Babbit is the scariest shooter of the three.

the starter is Luke Babbitt. He's the better athlete. Better rebounder. He outplayed Miller last year. + he is a prolific shooter from the arc. Miller could be but he hasn't scored over 10 ppg since HS.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Correct, our starting SF will not play many minutes. But it should be Babbit. He more so than the others, makes the defense feel as if the open three will be made if this guy gets it off. He was the 16th pick in 2010 and is now 25; hence entering his prime

Darius, Babbit, Salmons........ Babbit is the scariest shooter of the three.

the starter is Luke Babbitt. He's the better athlete. Better rebounder. He outplayed Miller last year. + he is a prolific shooter from the arc. Miller could be but he hasn't scored over 10 ppg since HS.
    dont get me wrong, my opinion isnt worth anything lmao cause i'd bet it's going to be Salmons or reke

Given our options I hope it's Salmons. I hated the pick up but given the trash we've got, if we aren't going to start Reke then it's gotta be him. I don't trust Babbitt on defense and I don't trust Miller on offense. Salmons can give ok defense and spot up 3. Enough to spread the defense.

I don't like it because I think it should be Reke but, what you gonna do?

IMHO I think the line up to begin the season will be:

Holiday/Fredette/Smith
    Gordon/Rivers/Miller
    Salmons/Evans/Babbitt
    Davis/Anderson/Young
    Asik/Ajinca/Withey

Salmons starts over Evans for three reasons.
    1. Salmons spreads the floor better than Evans.
    2. Evans will be underdone for the start of the season.
    3. In the starting line-up you need at least three shooters who can spread the floor out to the 3 –point line (Holiday, Gordon & Salmons) – I know Davis is working on this but I’m sure he won’t be a threat overnight.

The second line up can switch between Fredette, Rivers and Evans to carry the load of bringing up the ball and setting up plays.
    Again there are 3 very good three point shooters.
    This also allows Evans to have 3 very good 3 point shooters that he can dish out to when he drives to the basket.

The third line up: Who really cares these guy’s won’t get much game time and I hope that it sticks that way unless there are blow out games.
    I actually put Miller at SG because I think he has got good handles for a guy who is 6’8” and Babbitt is supposed to see time at the 3.

What are people’s thoughts?

You guys know Salmons has been shooting in the 30% FG for the past couple of years? I don't want him starting.

2012-13 FG% 0.399 and 3% 0.371
    2013-14 FG% 0.368 and 3% 0.388
    Career FG% 0.432 and 3% 0.366

It's hardly 30.
    You think Tyreke shoots better from 3?
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-03-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Thread Information