Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Damarre Carroll. He should be the focus IMO. Easiest to get w/o giving up assets or wasting time to see if other team will match. Wont cost too much and fits needs. Danny Green would be nice too, but SA rarely lets key guys go unless they are old.
    I forgot to mention Green, I just mentioned him as another dream target a couple days ago too...

He'd be my second target after Butler. He has the length to defend either wing position and obviously is an incredible three point shooter. Can you imagine how deadly a finishing lineup of Holiday, Evans, Green, Ryno, and AD would be on the offensive end? And replacing Gordon's defensive ineptitude with Green would probably allow our finishing lineup to at least approach an average defensive rating collectively.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Based on that the starting lineup next season will be Holiday, Evans, Davis and Asik, who is a better fit?

DeMarre Carroll or Gerald Green?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Based on that the starting lineup next season will be Holiday, Evans, Davis and Asik, who is a better fit?

DeMarre Carroll or Gerald Green?
    Green he's bad defensive lyrics but brings great spacing.

1-6

Butler
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Green he's bad defensive lyrics but brings great spacing.
    Yeah that's what I thought.
    I'd also assume that PHX will probably extend or match Green also.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Butler
    You can give up on Butler.
    He will be extended over the next two weeks.
    They aren't letting him go.

Damarre Carroll. He should be the focus IMO. Easiest to get w/o giving up assets or wasting time to see if other team will match. Wont cost too much and fits needs. Danny Green would be nice too, but SA rarely lets key guys go unless they are old.
    What type of money do you think Dell would have to offer to get Carroll?

4-6 mil per year.
    @mcnamara247

4-6 mil per year.
    Thanks.

Just purely hypothetical - IF Gordon was to opt in (God forbid) would we have enough cap space next year to sign a SF for 4-6M?
    That's assuming that we resign players such as Asik, Babbit, Ajinca & Withey using their birds rights and early bird rights and go into the lux tax.

Carroll will be UFA. so there will be probably other suitors, so that it will be rather 6 than 4 (but 3 year 18-19m seems reasonable in these times :/ )

I am not good at math's, but about 16m goes, additional 4 from Asik goes in. our cap space could be enough for DC (not DMC )

Thanks.

Just purely hypothetical - IF Gordon was to opt in (God forbid) would we have enough cap space next year to sign a SF for 4-6M?
    That's assuming that we resign players such as Asik, Babbit, Ajinca & Withey using their birds rights and early bird rights and go into the lux tax.
    We will have the MLE and will not go into luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We will have the MLE and will not go into luxury tax.
    Are you sure they wont go into the lux tax?
    The will need to pay Asik 10-12M next season an if Gordon opts in then the will be very close.
    Also if they then choose to retain players like Babbitt, Ajinca, Miller and Withey using their bird rights I can't see how that is not possible without going over.

Anyway, that's good if they don't have to.
    At least the MLE will be enough to make a play for a player like Carroll.

EDIT: Never mind It looks like about 73M without using the MLE.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-01-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Yeah I'd love that.....if we could give up someone like Rivers, Russ, Young, Babbitt, Ajinca or Withey and a future pick, i'd do it without blinking.

I think Davis would love to have MKG playing on this team.
    Anyone but russ, rivers, and young. I feel those guys will add the make-up to this when we will become a force. MKG here will may AD go bananas though. Maybe when if we get rid of gordon, we can trade Babbit, Withey, and a future first and we can keep rivers, Asik, and have MKG
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I love how 29 is "old" in the NBA.

"Old" guys win championships. You don't see the Cavs going to get 25 yr olds to fill out the roster. They went and got Marion, they are trying to get Ray Allen, etc. etc. You want to fill out the supporting roles with "older" guys
    Im assuming "old" is viewed as a negative thing because the idea of a young and growing core can mean a possiblity of multiple championships.

But the "core" is here. Your core doesn't include your 7th, 8th, 9th best players. Look at the Spurs. A core of 3 guys - everything around those guys has constantly changed. Bulls had two guys on those six championship teams who were there the whole time. On and on and on.

You don't get twelve 24 yr old guys and try to keep them together for 8 years. You get a core and then the best supplementary pieces for now. Once they get old or become too expensive, you swap them out for the next guy.

But the "core" is here. Your core doesn't include your 7th, 8th, 9th best players. Look at the Spurs. A core of 3 guys - everything around those guys has constantly changed. Bulls had two guys on those six championship teams who were there the whole time. On and on and on.

You don't get twelve 24 yr old guys and try to keep them together for 8 years. You get a core and then the best supplementary pieces for now. Once they get old or become too expensive, you swap them out for the next guy.
    So in your opinion, what will be our true core? Im assuming AD, Jrue and Ryno?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I think you're right on your assumption, but I'm not even sure Ryno makes the core. Hopefully he comes back strong this season and cements it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    No clue. But I know Demarre Carroll and guys like that won't be part of it. That's my point. If we are looking to trade for a star and it is between a 24 year old and a 28 year old, then it is worth a debate.

Role players like Demarre Carroll vs. Jae Crowder - just get me the guy who is better now.

Thread Information