Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Trainer

I am a Betting man!!!

Well, if you look at Dell's track record, it won't be an UFA. It will be a guy between 23 and 26. And it will be a high character guy. That leaves us with:

Draymond Green
    Tobias Harris
    MKG
    Jae Crowder
    Jimmy Butler

If he does break trend and goes after an UFA, I think Demarre Carroll is a perfect fit. But if I had to bet, I would go with MKG.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am a Betting man!!!

Well, if you look at Dell's track record, it won't be an UFA. It will be a guy between 23 and 26. And it will be a high character guy. That leaves us with:

Draymond Green
    Tobias Harris
    MKG
    Jae Crowder
    Jimmy Butler

If he does break trend and goes after an UFA, I think Demarre Carroll is a perfect fit. But if I had to bet, I would go with MKG.
    Very interesting!
    Not the guy I thought of at all.
    Obviously to get him they would have to give up assets.
    How would this happen as MKG has a lot of contract left.
    What do you think would get it done?

I think Charlotte has a hard time playing Lance and MKG together. This will make MKG expendable. Oh, and they signed Marvin Williams too.

MKG's salary in 15-16 will be 6.3 mil and 8.2 mil the year after - too much to pay for a backup. I can see a package of young guys who fit better (Rivers, Russ, Young, Babbitt, Ajinca, etc.) and expirings getting it done this year.

Or a future protected pick and a young guy doing it in the summer. He is not an ideal fit because he can't shoot, but I think Dell would have a hard time passing up on the value.

I am a Betting man!!!

Draymond Green
    Tobias Harris
    MKG
    Jae Crowder
    Jimmy Butler

I think/hope he goes away from trend as I don't want to give up assets like Anderson.
    A team like GS can't afford to match offers for players like Green as they still have to worry about matching for Klay Thompson.
    CHI cap space doesn't look that great either.
    Orlando and Dallas have plenty next season.

I think Charlotte has a hard time playing Lance and MKG together. This will make MKG expendable. Oh, and they signed Marvin Williams too.

MKG's salary in 15-16 will be 6.3 mil and 8.2 mil the year after - too much to pay for a backup. I can see a package of young guys who fit better (Rivers, Russ, Young, Babbitt, Ajinca, etc.) and expirings getting it done this year.

Or a future protected pick and a young guy doing it in the summer. He is not an ideal fit because he can't shoot, but I think Dell would have a hard time passing up on the value.
    Yeah I'd love that.....if we could give up someone like Rivers, Russ, Young, Babbitt, Ajinca or Withey and a future pick, i'd do it without blinking.

I think Davis would love to have MKG playing on this team.

I don't like the fit with MKG. I mean, we are assuming Gordon is gone and Reke is the starting 2. I don't want Evans, MKG, and Asik in a lineup together.

I love the idea of D. Carroll. He is MKG with a passable 3-pt shot. And you wouldn't have to give up assets if you signed him.

# 1. Jimmy Butler (Because of his D and FT % (which we value) Background kind of sounds like Jimmy Graham and Dwayne
    Butler's father abandoned the family when he was an infant. By the time he was 13 years old and living in the Houston suburb of Tomball, his mother kicked him out of the house. As Butler remembered it in a 2011 interview, she told him, "I don't like the look of you. You gotta go." He then bounced between the homes of various friends, staying for a few weeks at a time before moving to another house.[1]
    # 2. Draymond Green (Because of the way he stepped it up in playoffs and his character)
    # 3. Jae Crowder (Because of his pedigree)
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

He is not an ideal fit because he can't shoot, but I think Dell would have a hard time passing up on the value.
    The floor spacing with Asik, MKG and Evans would be horrible.
    That's assuming that both Asik and Evans are in the teams future plans.
    If they are then I think they need to go after a guy who can shoot at least 30-35% from the 3 and not 17% like MKG.

Exiting times.
    I can't wait until this team is fully set.

EDIT: Ignore what I said, you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    # 1. Jimmy Butler (Because of his D and FT % (which we value) Background kind of sounds like Jimmy Graham and Dwayne
    Butler's father abandoned the family when he was an infant. By the time he was 13 years old and living in the Houston suburb of Tomball, his mother kicked him out of the house. As Butler remembered it in a 2011 interview, she told him, "I don't like the look of you. You gotta go." He then bounced between the homes of various friends, staying for a few weeks at a time before moving to another house.[1]
    # 2. Draymond Green (Because of the way he stepped it up in playoffs and his character)
    # 3. Jae Crowder (Because of his pedigree)
    Butler is the dream, but I can't see the Bulls letting him go.

Curious to see who the Warriors would choose if they can only keep Green or Harrison Barnes. I know the fans (and smart basketball people) would choose Green. But I don't know what the Warriors will choose.

I love Crowder, and I can see stealing him now that Dallas gave Parsons all that money.

I don't like the fit with MKG. I mean, we are assuming Gordon is gone and Reke is the starting 2. I don't want Evans, MKG, and Asik in a lineup together.

I love the idea of D. Carroll. He is MKG with a passable 3-pt shot. And you wouldn't have to give up assets if you signed him.
    You don't think Carroll is a bit old?
    He will be 29 next season.

Why do you think Dell doesn't go after UFA too often?

Sorry at nolaslim213 for hijacking this thread, but didn't want to start another new one.

I love how 29 is "old" in the NBA.

"Old" guys win championships. You don't see the Cavs going to get 25 yr olds to fill out the roster. They went and got Marion, they are trying to get Ray Allen, etc. etc. You want to fill out the supporting roles with "older" guys

# 1. Tobias Harris (First round pick; Young, experienced; improving; right price; Gymrat; willing to play D)
    # 2. Jimmy Butler (Because of his D and FT % (which we value) Background kind of sounds like Jimmy Graham and Dwayne
    # 3. Draymond Green (Because of the way he stepped it up in playoffs and his character)
    # 4. Jae Crowder (Because of his pedigree)

Butler is the dream, but I can't see the Bulls letting him go.

Curious to see who the Warriors would choose if they can only keep Green or Harrison Barnes. I know the fans (and smart basketball people) would choose Green. But I don't know what the Warriors will choose.

I love Crowder, and I can see stealing him now that Dallas gave Parsons all that money.
    I would take Barnes also
    Young Vet mould
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 09-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.

I love how 29 is "old" in the NBA.

"Old" guys win championships. You don't see the Cavs going to get 25 yr olds to fill out the roster. They went and got Marion, they are trying to get Ray Allen, etc. etc. You want to fill out the supporting roles with "older" guys
    Yes I understand all that.
    He i'm 35....I wish I was 29 again.

But the Pelicans aren't contending like the Cav's or Spurs.
    As Demps and Monty have said several times they need continuity

I just think that if you look at our core then it needs to be a guy between the age of 25-27.
    He has low mileage though. He has only played 246 games over 5 seasons.

Maybe sign him for 2 years and go after someone like Batum when he is a FA in 2016/17.
    Don't he and Monty have a great relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Sorry at nolaslim213 for hijacking this thread, but didn't want to start another new one.
    As long as we're talking basketball, it's all good man!

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    # 1. Tobias Harris (First round pick; Young, experienced; improving; right price; Gymrat; willing to play D)
    # 2. Jimmy Butler (Because of his D and FT % (which we value) Background kind of sounds like Jimmy Graham and Dwayne
    # 3. Draymond Green (Because of the way he stepped it up in playoffs and his character)
    # 4. Jae Crowder (Because of his pedigree)
    That's really sad.
    I bet the ***** wants to know him now that he is making millions!

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    So we'd be in close to the same boat as we were with Aminu, although with greater possibility of improvement?
    I like MKG's motor & defense, but we need a shooter at the 3 if we're planning on playing Jrue/Reke/Davis/Asik.

I certainly hope Dell sees that.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

What would the renewal on MKG's contract cost?
    I know that if Dell went that direction (Kentucky Pelicans) that we'd inherit his #2 overall contract.

For all those reasons, I prefer Carroll to MKG. But I know Dell has gone after MKG in the past, so if I had to bet....

MKG would be a terrible fit offensively with Asik in the fold. Talk about lack of spacing. My dream acquisition is Jimmy Butler, though his regressing three point shot is a little troubling. Second on my list would be Carroll given his defensive prowess, solid three point shot (36%), experience, and assumed affordability. Crowder would be my third choice, as he is a similar player to Carroll defensively (DRtg and TRB%), has a passable three point shot (33%), and should also be acquirable at an affordable price. He however lacks the offensive efficiency of Carroll which is magnified given his smaller sample size relatively speaking.

I would be upset if we went after MKG at this point, especially given the fact that we would have to give up assets to acquire him next summer.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-30-2014 at 10:28 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I like Moe Harkless, I think he gettable. He is similar to Aminu but has made more progression with his shot. Also Jimmy is at the top of my list but think he will be getting a huge deal.

1-6

Damarre Carroll. He should be the focus IMO. Easiest to get w/o giving up assets or wasting time to see if other team will match. Wont cost too much and fits needs. Danny Green would be nice too, but SA rarely lets key guys go unless they are old.

I just turned 29. MY LIFE IS OVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I just turned 29. MY LIFE IS OVER!
    Not yet, its when you hit 30.

Thread Information