Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tyreke Evans out 3-5 weeks

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Between this announcement and last night's football game, I feel like jumping off the roof.

But at least he may just miss preseason, giving Austin/Russ some minutes to get some run.

Looking like a rough year for Louisiana sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    The trend of injuries?
    The trend of being forward and open with injury reporting. The past couple of years they have been awful with it. This is one of the first times they were in front of announcing an injury instead of leaving everyone in the dark.

While this injury is slightly depressing due to the this teams past, I'm not as concerned about our guards being injured this year as I was last year. We have good offensive backups that can come in a score when needed. Now we have a good defensive center who won't let opposing teams capitalize on our missmatches that come from this injury.

Just out of interest does that mean that Evans does not participate in any form of training camp?
    Does he at least observe plays and video while he is injured, so that he is at least up to speed?

Awesome question...

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Just out of interest does that mean that Evans does not participate in any form of training camp?
    Does he at least observe plays and video while he is injured, so that he is at least up to speed?
    Yes.

I will say this, though, as a coach (granted only High School) - it just isn't the same. A coach won't trust a guy until he sees him do it. Knowing and doing are two totally different things, and this is why I expect Salmons to start and get solid minutes out of the gate. He will have all this down and it will be easier for Monty to trust him those first few weeks. Plus, training camp is used to get back into basketball shape. Tyreke can't do that now.

I expect him to be back by game 1, but I also expect him to get 4-8 less minutes per game for the first 2-3 weeks than he would have got in a world where this didn't happen.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 09-30-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Yes.

I will say this, though, as a coach (granted only High School) - it just isn't the same. A coach won't trust a guy until he sees him do it. Knowing and doing are two totally different things, and this is why I expect Salmons to start and get solid minutes out of the gate. He will have all this down and it will be easier for Monty to trust him those first few weeks. Plus, training camp is used to get back into basketball shape. Tyreke can't do that now.

I expect him to be back by game 1, but I also expect him to get 4-8 less minutes per game for the first 2-3 weeks than he would have got in a world where this didn't happen.
    Thanks Micheal.

Looks like Tyreke may be available sooner than first thought:

http://pelicandebrief.com/2014/10/11...urns-practice/
    http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...back-to-basics

"Encouraging Evans

On Thursday, Pelicans swingman Tyreke Evans was showing no ill effects of a strained hamstring, running at a brisk pace around the perimeter of the side-by-side courts at the team’s practice facility.

On Friday, he was participating in shooting drills and those that required him to make moves and drive to the basket. On Saturday, he had his practice jersey on and clearly had worked up a sweat. Williams said he practiced.

“He looked pretty good,” he said. “He’s just got to get his conditioning up.”

In the days before camp, the team said Evans would miss three to five weeks. The end of next week will be three weeks. Given the nature of the injury and Evans’ importance, though, Williams said the team will be cautious.

“We’d like to get Tyreke back a few games before we start the season,” he said."
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

I hope so. Tyreke does seem to have the ability to heal faster than wolverine. Also concussions make him a better jump shooter.

Anyone that hasn't read the full article should, has some really good info on preseason in it. Not just about Tyreke.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's like Fred Flintstone. Only instead of new personalities, he becomes a better basketball player.

Thread Information