Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: We need to give props to Dell

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    "You can't just say well if he could have stayed healthy when that was the biggest reason you shouldn't have sign that guy to a max contract in the first place." << That comment
    But you agree that matching his offer from PHX was a bad move. I thought you were defending the trade not the signing. Because at the time of the signing Gordon had just missed 73 games not 20-30 games.

I think the disconnect is that you see a player who misses 20 games and a guy who missed 75 games equal, therefore no matter how many games Gordon missed, if he missed any you would have blamed Demps. You are saying there haven't been players who have missed a season or 2 of 20 games and haven't went on to have pretty healthy careers?
    No the disconnect is you seem to think that I have a problem with the trade for Gordon when I have already expressed several times that I don't. Why are you ignoring the 73 games Gordon missed the very same season we match his terrible max deal. You keep mentioning him only missing 20 or so games every year, but you are talking about the season he missed right when Dell still matched his deal anyways. Once you realize I'm not faulting Dell for trading for Eric even with his early injury problems I'm blaming him for matching a max deal for a guy who just missed basically the entire 2011-12 season.

The 60 game comment had nothing to do with my last sentence. I just threw that in to reiterate my point. Could/should have left that out but it still remains the same point. Injury prone ISN'T just injury prone. A guy who recently misses 15-20 games yearly like Pau Gasol is not missing complete seasons worth of games like Rose has.
    Again not only was Eric a guy who missed 20-30ish games a season he had just lost basically a whole season. And it wasn't one freak injury it was multiple things plaguing Gordon. So while there's levels to injury prone it's a bad decision to give that guy a max when all he has proven in the league is he has potential. In Eric's case he was both Gasol and Rose at the time Demps decided to keep him at that price. There's no getting around the fact Demps just watch first hand an injury that was earlier reported as not anything major end up costing Gordon the entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    ASSETS is the keyword, that means expiring deals, draft picks, or young prospects. Throwing a big contract at someone who is a restricted free agent is not giving up anything. Phx had ALOTof cap space that year dude. I understand Dell's situation and to see the peices he pulled off while working around that horrible Gordon contract is just amazing.
    I'm all good with gambling. As a poker player I understand the eventual need for taking risk. However those risk should be calculated and betting on Gordon on a max deal at the time was a very low percentage risk. Gordon wasn't a proven star he was a player with potential and that in of itself was a risk. If that was the only negative I wouldn't have had a problems. The things is Eric didn't seem to care to be apart of this franchise based on his actions and there were rumors going around as well. Plus to top it off he had been injured every year missing more and more games every year until he basically missed an entire season. This is not a player you give a max deal to IMO under those circumstances.

So if no other team in the league could have given up something for Gordon you let Eric go. You let the team that think he's worth the max live with their decision.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    But you agree that matching his offer from PHX was a bad move. I thought you were defending the trade not the signing. Because at the time of the signing Gordon had just missed 73 games not 20-30 games.
    I get that and it's why I said I think it's Demps' 1 truly bad move.

No the disconnect is you seem to think that I have a problem with the trade for Gordon when I have already expressed several times that I don't.
    Didn't say or nothing this at all in the last post. I understand your position quite clearly.

Again not only was Eric a guy who missed 20-30ish games a season he had just lost basically a whole season. And it wasn't one freak injury it was multiple things plaguing Gordon. So while there's levels to injury prone it's a bad decision to give that guy a max when all he has proven in the league is he has potential. In Eric's case he was both Gasol and Rose at the time Demps decided to keep him at that price.
    Rose is a guy who's missed got to be close to 80% of games the past 3 seasons. I'm not ignoring the last year before the extension with Gordon. I was just validating why we agree on the trade. One of the things of the Gordon supporters that was going around here was that his injuries were all unrelated. That gave a few people some hope. Can't really say what Demps was thinking but maybe he bought into that to. Sitting here now we can clearly see the injury problems. But before that there was nothing related. Nothing like the same knee issues or the current Rose like issues. Against we have already established our feelings on the decision, just don't think you can completely blame Demps for a players injuries. We haven't even discussed Monty's possible role in the extension decision.

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm all good with gambling. As a poker player I understand the eventual need for taking risk. However those risk should be calculated and betting on Gordon on a max deal at the time was a very low percentage risk. Gordon wasn't a proven star he was a player with potential and that in of itself was a risk. If that was the only negative I wouldn't have had a problems. The things is Eric didn't seem to care to be apart of this franchise based on his actions and there were rumors going around as well. Plus to top it off he had been injured every year missing more and more games every year until he basically missed an entire season. This is not a player you give a max deal to IMO under those circumstances.

So if no other team in the league could have given up something for Gordon you let Eric go. You let the team that think he's worth the max live with their decision.
    I get what you are saying but the truth is every team (except philly) has a contract they don't want to pay. Im pretty sure Demps offered Gordon a deal in the range of 10-12 a year. So what we payed 2-4 million more than what we wanted. Thats what the market demanded. Just Pay the man....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I hope this is the year they are a top team.

Thread Information