Pelicans Report

Thread: We will be the most improved team in WEST but......damn!

We will be the most improved team in WEST but......damn!

couldnt we at least get a SF that provides some comfort, on paper whatsoever??????

isit cause ryan anderson's deal is really as good as his shot?

I love tyreke. but he's not who should be at SF while our starters are in there and yal know it.

what do you think it would take to acquire kris middleton from the bucks? they got 10 guys who could play his spot

help me with this please

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    couldnt we at least get a SF that provides some comfort, on paper whatsoever??????

I love tyreke. but he's not who should be at SF while our starters are in there and yal know it.

what do you think it would take to acquire kris middleton from the bucks? they got 10 guys who could play his spot

help me with this please
    Nah.
    @DanielVeuleman

Last year Aminu was our starting sf and teams wouldn't guard him at all or put their weakest defender on him even pg's. So you think if we're playing a team like the Blazers they will try and put Lillard on Reke like they did to Aminu last year? No, it will keep the opposing team defense honest and cause matchup problems. Most sf's in the league can't keep up with Reke.

1-6

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I'm sold on Tyreke at the SF. Not because he is a conventional SF.

Because he isn't.

AD=not conventional PF
    Jrue= not conventional PG
    Ryno= not conventional PF

Instead of going with the grain, let's make our own grain and be the team CAUSING the matchup problems.

I think it works if he runs a point forward set. It would preserve some of Jrue's energy for defense and Jrue & Gordon are good enough shooters for drive & kicks but something tells me Monty is too traditional to go away from Jrue handling the ball

Heck, Id trade Eric Gordon and his one year left, with the ever-improving austin rivers, and whatever else is needed to get the very serviceable Rudy Gay.

Rudy Gay's career and legacy are passing him by. I look for him to make a push at winning some games if he jelled with a team like ours.

this team would have a chance to be our best ever

Omer Asik, Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson
    Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson
    Rudy Gay, Ryan Anderson
    Eric Gordon, Tyreke Evans
    Jrue Holliday, Tyreke Evans

I'd trade Tyreke for Kyle Korver

I feel comfortable with the team we have going into this year. I would bring in Pietrus for a workout though. Took a year off and is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What?

Heck, Id trade Eric Gordon and his one year left, with the ever-improving austin rivers, and whatever else is needed to get the very serviceable Rudy Gay.

Rudy Gay's career and legacy are passing him by. I look for him to make a push at winning some games if he jelled with a team like ours.

Rudy Gay, Ryan Anderson
    Rudy gay doesn't have a legacy... you think hes sitting there... "i'm getting old, better start winning" that story has already been told by Melo who wont have legacy until phil gives him one of his own rings. sorry but i'm not a rudy gay fan.

Rudy Gay would be taking touches from AD. I don't like the thought of that.

Every time someone brings up the hole at SF they always bring up offense. That's not where I'm worried. I don't want a guy like Beasley or Gay who have a usage rate of 20%+. I want a guy who defends well and can shoot a few threes to keep his defender honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I think Darius Miller will be the guy who steps up at the SF spot with his shooting.

Would rather see Tyreke at SG next to Jrue, but that won't happen as much thanks to "Pudding" getting plenty of minutes.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Rudy Gay, Ryan Anderson
    Honestly if the player isn't a Lebron or KD type player I wouldn't be too fussed. We already have playmakers in Jrue, Reke, AD, and even Gordon to a degree, so you don't need that at the 3. We don't really need scoring either, but we could benefit from a decent 3 point shooter, which Salmons provides.

The biggest need from the 3 is probably defense which Salmons is meant to be good at, and will hopefully be at least serviceable. Rudy in a vacuum is a good player, but for fitting our team he's no that great for, because he'll take shots away from our other main players, and he's not a great 3 point shooter so he doesn't spread the floor that well either. Additionally his defense isn't amazing, so that side will probably suffer as well.

All in all it's a poor fit for us, and it's a poor fit for him as well, if you're looking at that calibre of player I would take Iguodala for his defense (and even then he's probably not an amazing fit). Oh and on top of that unless the player is amazing, he won't get much burn time because alot of it will be going to jrue reke and Gordon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    ****, I hope Dell isn't listening

I wish we could trade Tyreke for Korver but besides it being impossible financially there is no way the Hawks are that stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Every time someone brings up the hole at SF they always bring up offense. That's not where I'm worried. I don't want a guy like Beasley or Gay who have a usage rate of 20%+. I want a guy who defends well and can shoot a few threes to keep his defender honest.
    One of the reason I would have been willing to give Beasley a try is because he has the physical tools to be a plus defender. Knowing that he's on his last NBA leg I think you could have gotten him to buy into fittingthe role you mentioned especially if it meant starting and/or playing big mins. That plus he's an average career 3pt shooter to boot.

God, I hope we go after Danny Green next year in FA. He would fit extremely well next to Holiday and Evans. A man can only dream.

As it stands, Evans is fine at SF. And Salmons and Miller are more than capable of backing up Evans at the 3 for small periods of time.

Our lineup isn't per se conventional, but there isn't anything definitive out there to demonstrate that it can't work. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-25-2014 at 11:39 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I hear ya.

Dont get me wrong! I think Demps has assembled a squad that will contend in the hardest division of the west. i'll just say it, I think he has assembled roughly a 4- 5 seed team

Nevertheless, there's not anyone on the team I can at least daydream about playing the 3 well. why do we have dionte christmas and all instead of the two dudes on the summer league team? can we get a SF with any upside at all

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    God, I hope we go after Danny Green next year in FA. He would fit extremely well next to Holiday and Evans. A man can only dream.

As it stands, Evans is fine at SF. And Salmons and Miller are more than capable of backing up Evans at the 3 for small periods of time.

Our lineup isn't per se conventional, but there isn't anything definitive out there to demonstrate that it can't work. Only time will tell.
    Love Danny Green, but the chances he leaves the Spurs is very slim.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    I think Darius Miller will be the guy who steps up at the SF spot with his shooting.
    Me too. He had some improved play toward the end of last season. He lost out on off season and camp last year. Someone in this thread said that our ideal SF should be one who doesn't need high usage, play some sound team D, and be a threat to knockdown threes. Miller could fit that mold. Rebounding is a big concern with Miller, but with Davis and Asik now that could be hidden.
    Last edited by djpaul89; 09-27-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Pelicans

help me with this please
    No team is perfect. Our SF position is not as bad as it may seem. Jrue, gordon, tyreke, davis, and (to a certain extent) Ryno are all high usage guys. All we need is a player who is a good team defender and can keep the defense honest. A Little rebounding won't hurt as either

Thread Information