Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pierre Jackson takes MMs tweet too seriously

Not exactly. The English language has remained mostly unchanged for hundreds of years. Yes some words have had meanings shifted, changed etc. But we are talking about a tiny percentage. Case in point, pick up any book from the 1800s or newer and maybe 4-5 words out of the entire novel will have different meanings than today. So no, I disagree.

It started with texting and internet forums and now twitter. It is simply laziness. (or should I say IISL??) I hate English, I was always a math and science guy, but it sickens me to see what is happening in today's culture - as far as the way people now write. I am not referring to journalists specifically, most of them try to keep proper English writing form. IMO if you want to be successful (*at least in the business world, you better be able to write, speak, and communicate with proper English.)

It just does not take a lot of extra time to add a few commas, spell out words fully, and how about some proper punctuation???!!!?##$@$%#@#%@#

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Not exactly. The English language has remained mostly unchanged for hundreds of years. Yes some words have had meanings shifted, changed etc. But we are talking about a tiny percentage. Case in point, pick up any book from the 1800s or newer and maybe 4-5 words out of the entire novel will have different meanings than today. So no, I disagree.

It started with texting and internet forums and now twitter. It is simply laziness. (or should I say IISL??) I hate English, I was always a math and science guy, but it sickens me to see what is happening in today's culture - as far as the way people now write. I am not referring to journalists specifically, most of them try to keep proper English writing form. IMO if you want to be successful (*at least in the business world, you better be able to write, speak, and communicate with proper English.)

It just does not take a lot of extra time to add a few commas, spell out words fully, and how about some proper punctuation???!!!?##$@$%#@#%@#

well said, ...Bong-zilla?! anyway, it's up the the Original Poster to negate any ambiguities relating to a statement in order make it clear and concise... not the rest of the world. it's not accurate to just suggest that no one 'gets it', or that THEY can't detect sarcasm in order to shift blame. That's the easy way out for saying, 'I should've worded that differently."

Everyone stop tweeting please.

Amen to that, man.

And it still irks me to no end to see someone who is PAID to write and should know his own mother tongue better than the majority of people (supposedly) writing "they could of been". Seriously, flog them.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 09-17-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Here's a nice anecdote. the Chinese didn't have punctuation in their written language until the 20th century. It's like someone took a look at an English book and said, "Hey that might be a good idea".
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The irony is so thick that he he hates the tropes of language today, while blithely subscribing to the same. But that's not my business though.

Every generation thinks their generation was the last great generation of communication, film, music, etc. The new generations are a bunch of dumbed down punks. It never fails.

Its just different. Example - many of them can communicate with computer code now in ways you or or your parents would never know how to even start to communicate.

It takes on different forms. No generation is better than the next. If two kids, who are the future of their industries can communicate with code or shortened language or Internet slang and they make that the new standard for their new companies - then the "dumb" people will be the ones who speak the Queen's English and can't understand what is being used throughout the office.

There is no right or wrong. There is effective and ineffective. If the majority switches to something else, banging the table and longing for the good old days might get some people applauding your passion, but it won't grant you success.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 09-17-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    @mcnamara247

Right over his head. Whoosh!

Communication goes in this order:
    A- speaker's thoughts and feelings they wish to express.
    B- how they express them.
    C- the receiver decodes the message as it is written/said
    D- how the interprets the message and applies it to their own understanding.

So long as a listener on twitter understands the speaker then the communication was effective. If not, it's not always the fault of the speaker. The medium used on which to communicate may be more or less effective, but I guarantee that one used by millions of people is probably not a fault of itself. The problem is probably with the speaker or listener.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Twitter isn't killing the English language, the way people apply it is what causes confusion. It's just a platform or medium.

Honestly, if you can't communicate a thought on Twitter in 140 characters or less then you're probably using the wrong medium.

I communicate completely different in Twitter than I do in a business memo.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The irony is so thick that he he hates the tropes of language today, while blithely subscribing to the same. But that's not my business though.
    Oh, but will thou tasteth this tea, heretofore.

Thread Information