Pelicans Report

Thread: Hawks imploding

OP ED Hawks imploding

Despite a promising 2013-2014 season the Atlanta Hawks are imploding after damning reports about their co-owner Bruce Levinson (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...team/15241591/) and GM Danny Ferry (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...acist-comments) surfaced over the last 2 days.
    This occurred on the heels of the Donald Sterling fiasco in LA.

Louisiana has multiple connections with the Hawks franchise. While in St. Louis the Hawks won the NBA championship in 1958 featuring our own Bob Petit. It was their last championship and their 58 year drought is the second longest in the NBA behind the Sacramento Kings. It was the team that Austin Rivers dad, Doc, played for most of his career in the NBA. Pete Maravich played for Atlanta for 4 years after being selected 3rd in the 1970 draft and before being traded to the New Orleans Jazz. When Mike Fratello coached Dominique Wilkins during the 1984-1985 season the Hawks played 12 home games in the New Orleans Lakefront Arena because of poor attendance in Atlanta. This is a continuing issue and will not be easily solved. Wilkins was traded in 1993 to the Clippers and the fans have never recovered. BTW our own Paul Millsap is a current Hawks player.

So despite the Pelicans ownership issues with George Shinn and our relocation to OKC after Katrina, our Pelicans are stable compared to the Hawks. Their CEO Steve Koonin has to be looking over his shoulder at his owner Michael Gearon Jr. who reportedly broke the latest story about Ferry. I really feel bad for Millsap and Al Horford two of my favorite players.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 09-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Their problems started when they ended up with an ownership group as large as it is. The NBA needs to institute a rule that outlays that at least 51 percent of a team is owned by one person or entity. I think these latest problems are just another example of too many cooks. Which sadly has been the overarching story with Hawks over the last few years.

MM, hope your buddy makes it out of this mess ok (or better!).

He is deep in it. Good thing (for him) is that he is African-American. He might be leaned on more heavily and asked to help get his bosses heads out of their 'you know whats'. He should have been anyway.
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    Is there a full transcript on what Ferry said. I just don't like getting quotes. He could be a horrible guy/or not. I want some context around the quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He is deep in it. Good thing (for him) is that he is African-American. He might be leaned on more heavily and asked to help get his bosses heads out of their 'you know whats'. He should have been anyway.
    He who? Dominique?

Hopefully Benson isn't like my grandpa whose dementia caused him to occasionally let slip who called who racial slurs in the past.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If they're imploding, any chance we could take Kyle Korver off their hands? I'd even settle for Demarre Carroll.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    They should be ok.
    After all, they brought back this logo.

This logo is greatness. Need to bring back dem jerseys too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    They should be ok.

Are they playing basketball or delivering mail?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Are they playing basketball or delivering mail?
    Nope. Karl Malone played for the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    They should be ok.

For the longest time growing up looking at this logo, all I could see was pac man.

All I see is United States Postal Service

Thread Information