Pelicans Report

Thread: An article from this season about the NBA's best screen setters

An article from this season about the NBA's best screen setters

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...lhassanScreens

Talks about how Omer Asik sets a very high frequency of screens and they are unbelievably effective. He ranked 5th out of all players in the league in screen frequency, and reroutes defenders 73% of the time.

His screen setting is really going to open up a lot for our guard play, and even AD.

Cool find. A shame it's an Insider only article, so I wasn't able to read all of it.

If only there was a site where this were available, that site would be the it!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Just a quick point, for those of you who aren't insiders, you get for free with an ESPN Mag sub and you can get that for dirt cheap on the Internet. I literally got 5 years of Mag and insider for 5 dollars.

As far as the article goes that makes a ton sense. Asik is known for his ability to move around and set screens while still getting back to the rim. The numbers backing this up make perfect sense. I actually find it crazy for a guy who is so good on defense and seems to be so smart that he sucks so bad on offense, even to catch a ball.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Just a quick point, for those of you who aren't insiders, you get for free with an ESPN Mag sub and you can get that for dirt cheap on the Internet. I literally got 5 years of Mag and insider for 5 dollars.

As far as the article goes that makes a ton sense. Asik is known for his ability to move around and set screens while still getting back to the rim. The numbers backing this up make perfect sense. I actually find it crazy for a guy who is so good on defense and seems to be so smart that he sucks so bad on offense, even to catch a ball.
    So how does he rank in their (ESPN) opinion?
    Sorry, I'm not an insider. I'm also not a PowerUpRewards PRO member.

The screen setting numbers are mostly offensive. He knows his role really well on the offense and his screens open up a lot for other players.

If you get insider for two years it's only $2.50/month. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    So how does he rank in their (ESPN) opinion?
    Sorry, I'm not an insider. I'm also not a PowerUpRewards PRO member.
    He ranks fine in this set up. He sets a very high number of screens per 100 possessions and high % of those screens diverted the defender. Where he didn't rank so high was the offensive scoring % off of those screens. There were only 2 other guys on the list that had a lower scoring %. Who knows the exact reason for that.

Also keep in mind two things, one: even though the offensive scoring % was low on the list this was a list of some of the best C's that were on cheap deals so they considered him good. Also, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt because they mention Kendrick Perkins at the top of the list for scoring % out of screens so this stat is dependent on the other player just as much if not more than the person setting the screen.

"we're gonna run the picket fence... Don't get caught watching the paint dry!!!"

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    If only there was a site where this were available, that site would be the it!
    I redd this wrong, still don't understand it.

He ranks fine in this set up. He sets a very high number of screens per 100 possessions and high % of those screens diverted the defender. Where he didn't rank so high was the offensive scoring % off of those screens. There were only 2 other guys on the list that had a lower scoring %. Who knows the exact reason for that.

Also keep in mind two things, one: even though the offensive scoring % was low on the list this was a list of some of the best C's that were on cheap deals so they considered him good. Also, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt because they mention Kendrick Perkins at the top of the list for scoring % out of screens so this stat is dependent on the other player just as much if not more than the person setting the screen.
    Yeah the data takes into account a few years. Asik has been setting screens for back up guards for a while and Perkins has been screening for Durant and Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I redd this wrong, still don't understand it.
    glol

Thread Information