Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Johnson: Anthony Davis is 3rd best player in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You don't think he has used eye test and stats to form his opinion?

Just because something is consensus doesn't mean it is wrong. Usually there's some truth to it on some level.

If we have to accept someone's opinion who disagrees, we also should accept opinions that agree. I see nothing wrong with posting news about people thinking our franchise player will be great. I would assume everyone would be happy by this. We are all Pels fans.
    Never did I insinuate that the consensus is always wrong. And the quote "Anthony Davis will be the league's best player by the middle of next season" doesn't provide any stats, insight, or explanation. The issue isn't if he's right or wrong. The issue is that this is a thread just so people can feel better about the beliefs they'd hold regardless but they would like to use it as confirmation to their already established thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Never did I insinuate that the consensus is always wrong. And the quote "Anthony Davis will be the league's best player by the middle of next season" doesn't provide any stats, insight, or explanation. The issue isn't if he's right or wrong. The issue is that this is a thread just so people can feel better about the beliefs they'd hold regardless but they would like to use it as confirmation to their already established thoughts.
    And my point was why is that wrong on a Pels forum and in regards to our franchise player?

We should ALL want Davis to be the best player in the league if we are Pels fans.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    This thread was to share a video that was centered around our franchise player, that's it. What is wrong with that? If we shouldn't do that here then what the hell is this site for?

People are implying "See! He is better than Drummond". The point is this is an empty thread. If it were the same guy saying bad things about AD it would be people saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. Instead people are using it for validation. If his opinion matters without proof/examples/insight would you have believed it if he said the opposite? Of course not. So why does it matter? Because he agrees with the consensus. Because when you agree with the consensus you don't need proof/examples.
    There's no place for absolute objectivity in fanaticism.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I mean, don't let me rain on your parade I guess. So as long as someone agrees with you they're a reputable source. I'll say this, DaThrone gave far better evidence of AD not being a top three player than this guy did of arguing for it but I don't see people questioning him. I don't think that thinking objectively and fandom are mutually exclusive. I think I can listen to someone, hope they are right, and think that they are wrong. I'll stop posting in this thread now so you guys can enjoy subjective thought.

On another note, I don't think AD is the 3rd best player in the league just yet. I could see him potentially reaching that level as soon as the All-Star break next year if he continues to improve at a proportionate rate to his development the previous two years. He still has to fine tune some things on both sides of the ball, such as consistency on his jump shot, two dribble moves, setting better picks, not biting on fakes, using his length on the perimeter as opposed to boyding up, and altering shots without leaving his feet.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-11-2014 at 01:53 PM.

I mean, don't let me rain on your parade I guess. So as long as someone agrees with you they're a reputable source. I'll say this, DaThrone gave far better evidence of AD not being a top three player than this guy did of arguing for it but I don't see people questioning him. I don't think that thinking objectively and fandom are mutually exclusive. I think I can listen to someone, hope they are right, and think that they are wrong. I'll stop posting in this thread now so you guys can enjoy subjective thought.
    Misquoting again. I said there's no place for absolute objectivity. That doesn't preclude the utilization of any mode of objective analysis. What it does mean is that biases are going to exist within the forum of fandom whether you like it or not.

And FYI DaThrone has outright declared that he doesn't embrace the use of statistics when assessing players because numbers can be misleading and don't tell the whole story. Not your best example.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-11-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Misquoting again. I said there's no place for absolute objectivity. That doesn't preclude the utilization of any mode of objective analysis. What it does mean is that biases are going to exist within the forum of fandom whether you like it or not.

And FYI DaThrone has outright declared that he doesn't embrace the use of statistics when assessing players because numbers can be misleading and don't tell the whole story. Not your best example.
    Generally I avoid threads like this because I know a lot people here can't have a logically discussion on the subject. However I have to correct a false statement about me. I never said I don't factor in production I said it's a smaller portion of my overall evaluation of players. There's a significant difference.

AD is the best NBA player right now. Faried is second. Lebron and Durant are not playing right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Generally I avoid threads like this because I know a lot people here can't have a logically discussion on the subject. However I have to correct a false statement about me. I never said I don't factor in production I said it's a smaller portion of my overall evaluation of players. There's a significant difference.
    I went back to the statement I recollected when I typed out my previous post. In that post, at least, you did not dismiss statistics completely as an evaluative tool, but simply mitigated its significance. While I disagree with the extent to which you seemingly do so, I apologize for the exaggeration.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.

I went back to the statement I recollected when I typed out my previous post. In that post, at least, you did not dismiss statistics completely as an evaluative tool, but simply mitigated its significance. While I disagree with the extent to which you seemingly do so, I apologize for the exaggeration.
    It's cool we all do it from time to time.

I think I've just been painted as this completely illogical Davis hate monster and that just isn't the case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Both of them didn't make the playoffs till their third year
    And they weren't top 3 players then.

Apparently I'm not supposed to post stuff like this on here though.

But DaThrone did give examples. He did say where he saw Davis struggle or need to improve. That is more analysis than the statement that he will be a top 3 player. At least there is reasoning behind it. And just because biases are going to exist doesn't mean we should accept blind faith.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post

Apparently I'm not supposed to post stuff like this on here though.
    I'm not the posting police. Post what you like. I'm just trying to point out the fallacy that saying "X player is the umpteenth best player" carries no value.

I'm not the posting police. Post what you like. I'm just trying to point out the fallacy that saying "X player is the umpteenth best player" carries no value.
    Go tell the people who are saying this stuff then. I'm just sharing information about our franchise player.

I think it's a little premature to put AD in the top three. He shows potential to get there (and more), but right now I think he's better placed in the top 10-15, understanding that he may well move that ranking up in the coming season. Now, if you were picking a player to build your team around based on future potential, he'd probably be number one on that list.

Is the answer we post no subjective information on this forum? I don't understand the outcry by Jabber about people enjoying our franchise player being talked up.

It's not about anyone posting evidence. It's just nice to hear good things about our players and team.

I personally don't think AD is top 3 or will be top 3 this year. Does that mean. I should roll in here and try and pee on everyone for being excited he might be? No.

Some threads aren't about being objective, they're simply to make fans feel good and there's nothing wrong with that.

Is the answer we post no subjective information on this forum? I don't understand the outcry by Jabber about people enjoying our franchise player being talked up.

It's not about anyone posting evidence. It's just nice to hear good things about our players and team.

I personally don't think AD is top 3 or will be top 3 this year. Does that mean. I should roll in here and try and pee on everyone for being excited he might be? No.

Some threads aren't about being objective, they're simply to make fans feel good and there's nothing wrong with that.
    If this was the case then why take shots at another member of the forum? If this thread is meant to be a positive why introduce a discussion that really has had such negative outcomes? Is that not in itself "trolling"?

If this was the case then why take shots at another member of the forum? If this thread is meant to be a positive why introduce a discussion that really has had such negative outcomes? Is that not in itself "trolling"?
    I'm responding to discussion in this thread. This is a forum.

Nor did I "take shots at" anyone. All I said was I didn't understand the outcry. I didn't imply people were hypocrites for posting good opinions about AD either, which is how Jabber came across and I'm sure is the reason people took exception. It is interesting the lengths you two go to defend each other though.

You didn't answer the question I posed though. Should we not post any subjective opinions from people to stop others from rushing in threads trying to make people feel bad or stupid for liking to post good news on our players?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 09-11-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    the thunder were still terrible durants first few years in the league.
    And no one considered Durant the 2nd or 3rd best player until he made the playoffs.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The whole problems is, people want things and they want it now. AD wasn't even the best player at his position last year, and you know what? He was great! People keep trying to push Davis into the top 3 way too early including our fans base. I keep seeing SO WHAT WE SHOULD WANT HIM TO BE TOP 3. I'm not questioning anyone's want here, i'm questioning why we are rushing AD in the upper echelon of players? What's the rush? It doesn't serve anyone. Let's say AD is a the "top 3 player" and misses the playoffs. The media agrees and next thing you know, in 2 years the media is all over AD for not making it to the WCF, the Finals etc. That's how these things work. The real fact is Davis is MAYBE a top 10 player now. Let's let him rise slowly.

I'm responding to discussion in this thread. This is a forum.

Nor did I "take shots at" anyone. All I said was I didn't understand the outcry. I didn't imply people were hypocrites for posting good opinions about AD either, which is how Jabber came across and I'm sure is the reason people took exception. It is interesting the lengths you two go to defend each other though.

You didn't answer the question I posed though. Should we not post any subjective opinions from people to stop others from rushing in threads trying to make people feel bad or stupid for liking to post good news on our players?
    So bringing Andre Drummond up wasn't a direct shot at me? If you can't even own your obvious actions why even farther discuss this?

And in Jabber defense he's clearly saying he has no problem with these type of threads(and for the record neither do I). His point is if you are going to give credit to this guy's opinion without any reasoning or rationale why would you discredit someone elses opinion that is being explained in detail. Which we all know the answer.

So bringing Andre Drummond up wasn't a direct shot at me? If you can't even own your obvious actions why even farther discuss this?

And in Jabber defense he's clearly saying he has no problem with these type of threads(and for the record neither do I). His point is if you are going to give credit to this guy's opinion without any reasoning or rationale why would you discredit someone elses opinion that is being explained in detail. Which we all know the answer.
    I said Drummond was better, I thought you'd be happy.

Can't make anyone happy these days, geez.

I said Drummond was better, I thought you'd be happy.

Can't make anyone happy these days, geez.
    See now you are using sacarsm to avoid the point.

Either way I've seen enough poster here attack all kind of articles written by people that didn't have faith and what we are doing team building wise(whether it was fair or not). All those authors gets called out all the time for not having enough understanding. Yet this guy presents nothing but his opinion, but since it's what the consensus wants to hear it's completely OK. If you don't see the hyprocrisy in that well there's really nothing to say. If being a "real" fan means I have to suspend my sense of logic then I'll never be a true fan of anything.

Thread Information