Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The new $2B/yr TV deal could raise the NBA salary cap by nearly $16mil

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I think along these lines too, but if max money is a limiting factor....wouldn't OKC pay Durant more than any other team regardless?
    Sure but OKC has shown year after year saving money is more important than winning a championship and I'm sure KD has taken note of that. Benson shelling out that extra 7 mil for Asik has to have left a good impression for players around the league about our franchise willing to spend money. I think if OKC doesn't return to the finals this year he'll want out. Their GM would not just let him walk either I can see him trying to make a trade.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    If Durant is on the team having Reke at SG would be a waste of a starting spot and a lot of money.
    disagree, if tyreke can get back to shooting 34% from 3, he is a very good passer, rebounder, and under rated defender. I think he would be the perfect fit.

If IF was a Fifth we'd all be drunk. There is no reason to think that Reke will become a better shooter. I have issues with a shooting guard that can't shoot. Everyone wants him to start and be the main ball handler/play maker and move our PG to off ball. That makes no sense. Why not let Evans become the PG and use Jrue to get a SF? I know why because Reke isn't good playing PG (See SacTown). I'm still baffled about the Reke signing. He seems like an odd ball player to me. He's a shooting guard with no shooting guard skills. He's more of a PG but doesn't excel in that role. Reke's role on a team is a big question mark for me personally. Do you want him taking the ball out of your PG's hands or do you want him on the wing killing your spacing?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

With the new salary cap, I'd try to trade Reke and use the cap space to get a serviceable SG and a stud SF. I personally think that would make this team a lot better. With AD as our foundational player, playoff births, and a higher salary cap, the Pels should be able to attract a big name to pair with AD. Players want to win. It's not about the market when elite players are concerned IMO.

All this doubt of Tyreseus is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    All this doubt of Tyreseus is disturbing.
    I've been on record saying that Reke was a weird signing for me

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    If Durant is on the team having Reke at SG would be a waste of a starting spot and a lot of money.
    Reke is on a descending contract that averaged roughly 10M a year. That contract is a super deal compared to what already went down this summer and what will happen going forward.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    if the nba really wants to improve, they'd end guaranteed contracts and end collusion.

if you sign a player in the nfl, and he gets hurt or sucks, you can cut him and not continue to pay his contract (see antonio bryant). the pelicans would have a better team if we could do the same with our own players who seem unmotivated or can't stay healthy or take up more cap room than their worth.

remember garnett's contract in minnesota a few years back? kobes current deal? joe johnsons deal or rashard lewis?

and the league want to expand the cap!?!? this makes the game worse, not better. the salaries are too high as is...the players are entitled prima donnas with too much leverage. the players' coup d'etat will keep small markets in the dark, as superstars continue to collude behind the scenes towards the goal of greed, e.g., winning only in a market where they have the highest pay ceiling, NY, LA, Boston, Miami. its very worrying considering everyone on this board would like to see our in-house superstar stay home, when in reality his agent wouldn't.
    Last edited by ScoutWithoutClout; 09-09-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    if the nba really wants to improve, they'd end guaranteed contracts and end collusion.

if you sign a player in the nfl, and he gets hurt or sucks, you can cut him and not continue to pay his contract (see antonio bryant). the pelicans would have a better team if we could do the same with our own players who seem unmotivated or can't stay healthy or take up more cap room than their worth.

remember garnett's contract in minnesota a few years back? kobes current deal? joe johnsons deal or rashard lewis?

and the league want to expand the cap!?!? this makes the game worse, not better. the salaries are too high as is...the players are entitled prima donnas with too much leverage. the players' coup d'etat will keep small markets in the dark, as superstars continue to collude behind the scenes towards the goal of greed, e.g., winning only in a market where they have the highest pay ceiling, NY, LA, Boston, Miami. its very worrying considering everyone on this board would like to see our in-house superstar stay home, when in reality his agent wouldn't.

Would non guaranteed contracts be better for the teams yes. Would it be fair to the players absolutely not. Why should a player sign a contract that only they have to honor. If a player vastly out performs his contract can he just void his contract and sell himself to the highest bidder?

The NFLPA were fools for not demanding guaranteed contracts they need them more than the NBA. Their career spans are much shorter along with their average salaries being much lower per player.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-09-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Would non guaranteed contracts be better for the teams yes. Would it be fair to the players absolutely not. Why should a player sign a contract that only they have to honor. If a player vastly out performs his contract can he just void his contract and sell himself to the highest bidder?

The NFLPA were fools for not demanding guaranteed contracts they need them more than the NBA. Their career spans are much shorter along with the average salaries per year.
    I'll be damned. I..I..I agree with you?

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    haha, who can you name in the last 20 years (besides rookies) who's "vastly out performed" his contract? and as far as whats "fair" for the players, is it fair that a guy like eric gordon can handcuff his team for 4 years? i care more about my team than whats considered fair to a player. theres far more examples of the team losing than player anyhow

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If there was some kind of salary cap exception we could use, let a single player get released, keep paying their contract, but it won't count against the cap for as long as their contract remains and we can only have one active at a time.

What would be the downside to that kinda deal? Teams rarely have more than one albatross contract they wanna let loose.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    One thing this deal means is higher cable costs.

haha, who can you name in the last 20 years (besides rookies) who's "vastly out performed" his contract? and as far as whats "fair" for the players, is it fair that a guy like eric gordon can handcuff his team for 4 years? i care more about my team than whats considered fair to a player. theres far more examples of the team losing than player anyhow
    Yes it's fair that Eric Gordon handcuffs this team because Demps wasn't forced to match the deal.

I'm a man of principles. If both parties sign a contract both sides should have to honor it.

Steph Curry is a guy who signed early and has vastly out played his contract. That's just off the top of my head.

Milsap and anyone worthy of perrineal All-Star are all drastically underpaid.

Thread Information