Pelicans Report

Thread: N/P : "Adam Silver: Legalized sports betting 'inevitable'"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

NBA N/P : "Adam Silver: Legalized sports betting 'inevitable'"

So I just saw this pop up on Twitter. Figured I'd post here and get people's comments.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ing-inevitable
    Enjoy.

I hope he's right. I'm tired of betting on them overseas sites. Takes too long to get my winnings.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I hope he's right. I'm tired of betting on them overseas sites. Takes too long to get my winnings.
    This.

I've always been very hesitant about sports betting. I've never actually done it. I've looked at some sites and all, but never knew enough about it to feel comfortable starting.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    I've always been very hesitant about sports betting. I've never actually done it. I've looked at some sites and all, but never knew enough about it to feel comfortable starting.
    Do you join March Madness brackets or put in a pool for Fantasy Football? That is a form of sports betting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Do you join March Madness brackets or put in a pool for Fantasy Football? That is a form of sports betting.
    Nope. Niether.

Wait wait... betting on Sports is banned in some parts of the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Wait wait... betting on Sports is banned in some parts of the USA?
    Everywhere but Vegas

Everywhere but Vegas
    bah God

So in the US it's OK to own a firearm (or 70) but you can't put a couple bucks down on the team you think will win?

Only in America.

Uhm that's news to me, i didn't even know it was banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Uhm that's news to me, i didn't even know it was banned
    There are also several areas around the country where you can't buy liquor on Sundays!

I wonder how much money those overseas sites are profiting off of American players

Nobody has ever, in the history of the U.S. Been prosecuted or accused of placing an illegal bet. Where the government is looking to crack down is the people (bookies) taking the bets, for tax purposes, just like drugs and alcohol back in the day. It's illegal to own a counterfeit jersey from China but you really think anybody is going to say anything? No. They are looking for the ones selling them over seas and within the U.S. Sports betting should and will be legalized in many states bc it's a 300 billion dollar underground industry that the government can benefit from. Keep in mind the U.S. Spend a little more than 300 billion annualy on our country's defense budget so they could seriously benefit from betting that is always and will always take place.

I wonder how much money those overseas sites are profiting off of American players
    Not sure on the exact numbers but it's crazy. Bookies within the US pay other websites ran out of South America and Europe so their clients have a website that they can bet with a credit limit and so forth, usually local customers, but it's incredibly expensive to run a website but the key to doing it is the servers have to be ran out of a diff country.

Serious problems that could happen are players taking bribes (millions of dollars) to purposefully lose specific games and shave points. Idc how much integrity you have, if somebody tells you they will pay you 5 million dollars for throwing a game you wouldn't do it...and they are prob putting 10 mill on it. That's why I never understand why boxers like Mayweather can bet on themselves bc then couldn't you bet against yourself? It's def a controversy for either side, gov could make a ton of money but you run the risk of tarnishing the game, very unlikely though.

Well...you don't have to bet overseas...you just lose the moneyline option.

I say no more.

Thread Information