Pelicans Report

Thread: Clueless reddit nba fans discuss if AD will surpass D12

Clueless reddit nba fans discuss if AD will surpass D12

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...dwight_howard/

People seem not to understand that AD's best asset has always been his defense and he led the league in BPG last year. I don't think I will be able to calmly read the uninformed opinions about AD that will soon flood the internet.

Edit: Some unpopular opinions:

"Right now I'd prefer having davis."

"He's well on his way to getting there. His PER last season was better than Dwight's career best, and that was as a 21 year old. He projects to be way better than Dwight on offense with his versatility, ball skills and quickly developing shooting range. He still has work to do defensively, but he's already a great rim protector and his movement and quickness allow him to step out on the floor and guard pick-and-rolls effectively. It's scary to think how good he can become in 4 or 5 years."

Some popular opinions:

"PER doesn't account for defense beyond steal and blocks, you underestimate Prime Dwight"

"This question is mildly disrespectful to Dwight"
    Last edited by Writhe; 09-02-2014 at 07:38 PM.

As someone on there all the freaking time, don't worry about it. I get into it way too much and honestly, who cares? We're gonna have a ton of fun watching AD for the next few years and his game will do all the talking for us. They are on an anti Davis jerk right now because people are tired of talking about his potential. It's cool, let them be.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I can't make a single post without getting down voted, discourages me from sharing the stuff I do.

hahaha I just loaded the shot charts for davis and Dwight for some guy In there. - fyi I am imweazle on reddit.

like kumar said, it doesn't really matter and no point catching feelings. two different players with two different play styles, I think it is a difficult comparison really.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm not sure I get English anymore.

How can you say it's potential...when he's doing it...right now? While we're all watching in HD TV...?

Howard was able to produce a top defense with extremely little help while still being a very effecient and productive guy on offense. AD is a better offensive player but is nowhere near the defender Dwight was.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Kumar's right. What happened over the end of last year (the 40/20 game, his insane streak) was reddit was going nuts over Davis. Talking about his potential and how good he was. Every week there would be a thread "Anthony Davis is the youngest player to average ___ and ___" and all the comments would be the same:

"He's so scary" - tons of upvotes
    "Pellies stacked, league screwed (cleaned that up)" - tons of upvotes
    "He's already a top 5 player" - tons of upvotes

After a few months of this, people got tired of it, and people started trying to slow down the hype train. It ended up going the opposite direction, where whenever Davis is mentioned, people are quick to point out he's not there yet. And they're right, he's not.

But this is how Reddit works. They did the same thing with Blake Griffin. He was hyped so much he became hated, and now he's loved again. Davis will once again win the hearts of reddit once he has a great season.

It honestly isn't worth it. Like could I have posted a bunch of stats that show Davis is already ahead of Dwight offensively? Or how close they were last year defensively? Yeah, but that'd take a lot of time that I can't get back. I think I've posted quite enough about Davis and frankly anyone writing about him right now isn't coming up with anything new. Those who follow him already know exactly how good he is, those who don't will know soon.

I mean look at all these writers calling FIBA his coming out party. I'm sitting here saying this is what we watched all season long. He isn't doing anything different.

The more i hear of this reddit the more it sounds like saintsreport. With failclowns fans added as well.

well I love the fact the highest comments highest reply isn't even correct regarding the numbers Dwight put up. then everyone tries to put down davis' 40/20 by saying the Celtics were ****, yet game went OT 121-120.

Eman, I liked the oh so subtle hint at conversation ending hahaha.

If there is something reading and lurking this forum has taught me, is that you better research and back your **** up. probably why I never signed up, I would always go to, then end up spending 2 hours on basketball ref and forget what I even started out doing.

How many other people dropped 40/20 on the celtics? Or ever since Shaq. There's been plenty of bad teams. Why hasn't it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    The more i hear of this reddit the more it sounds like saintsreport. With failclowns fans added as well.
    It has proven to be very useful to me for finding streams of games that I can't watch on TV, usually NFL.

A lot of the discussion is good. There are some posters who break down plays and analyze certain players and it's pretty informative. And for the most part, there are good opinions and people are pretty knowledgeable. However, the biggest problem is that people get carried away trying to get upvotes. Someone will say something that is popular opinion right now just for the karma, and it gets really annoying. I stay away from any James Harden thread now, because there will undoubtedly be a comment like "JAMES HAREN BECAUSE HE PLAYS NO D" and "James Harden is literally Hitler" and the discussion just turns into pro-Harden and anti-Harden yelling about nothing. It's ridiculous.

It's pretty nice for the most part, but because of the sheer amount of users, the hive mind gets carried away at times.

But Devil's advocate: Dwight Howard was the best player on a team that beat Lebron's Cavs and KG's Celtics. He was the anchor of a defense that played through him on a 59 win team and was clearly the best defender in the league perennially. AD's defense was either amazing or terrible for a very weak overall team defense fr a team that went to the lottery two years in a row. Blocked shots and steals lend themselves as much to good defense as they do to the player's willingness to gamble on the possession.
    Of course, I disagree. I mean, I guess if you think AD won't improve then you can feel that way. I think AD is a step away from being better than Dwight is now and by his prime I see no reason to assume he won't be a better player than Dwight has been.
    I just don't think it's that crazy of an assertion that AD and Dwight would be comparable players in their primes. Unless you really don't think Dwight was as good as I do but he was a near MVP for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I'm of similar thought as you, Jabber.

Dwight's star's light might look less, but he was considered the most dominant player in the league a few years ago. He just seems to have lost it. Taking it easy. I agree with the things said about how better AD is offensively and he can be just as effective on rim protection, but there still is not one player as dominant as prime Dwight right now. AD is a different player and has more skills to help the team all around. And the way he runs the floor, and now that Aşık is here, he will ease off a little from the rim protection and will have been already started his transition sprint to dunk the ball when Aşık takes the rebound or blocks the ball. Great work pairing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    It has proven to be very useful to me for finding streams of games that I can't watch on TV, usually NFL.
    Or um, some other things that aren't exactly legal

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    But Devil's advocate: Dwight Howard was the best player on a team that beat Lebron's Cavs and KG's Celtics. He was the anchor of a defense that played through him on a 59 win team and was clearly the best defender in the league perennially. AD's defense was either amazing or terrible for a very weak overall team defense fr a team that went to the lottery two years in a row. Blocked shots and steals lend themselves as much to good defense as they do to the player's willingness to gamble on the possession.
    Of course, I disagree. I mean, I guess if you think AD won't improve then you can feel that way. I think AD is a step away from being better than Dwight is now and by his prime I see no reason to assume he won't be a better player than Dwight has been.
    I just don't think it's that crazy of an assertion that AD and Dwight would be comparable players in their primes. Unless you really don't think Dwight was as good as I do but he was a near MVP for years.
    AD will always have the higher ceiling because of the variety he has to his game. Now Dwight has the better body and probably always will, but some of that has limited him in terms of mobility in shooting. Dwight has no where near the offensive variety as 2nd year Davis and I think we can all assume that at one point or another Davis will be as effective as Dwight defensively. However, as you said, Dwight was a top 5 player for a nice haul, so it's not like comparing Davis/Howard to Javale McGee who's a presence shot blocking but nothing else. I think it's a very respectable/flattering comparison and tbh Dwight is still the games best Center.

TL;DR: I agree but i think Davis has a higher ceiling because of all the things he can already do that Dwight can't do in his prime.

The anti-AD jerk is so stupid lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    The anti-AD jerk is so stupid lmao
    People are recognizing its stupid: http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...n_that/ck9gt00

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Eman, I liked the oh so subtle hint at conversation ending hahaha.
    Hehehe. Just something so curious to me. And now I can't seem to find the comment...

Oh. Found it. Guy came back cursing me out. Classic.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 09-04-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Thread Information