Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Team USA and FIBA World Cup 2014 Thread

Thank goodness for ESPN 3 or I'd miss them all. Now I can get angry at Kyrie's lack of court vision anytime I want.

Derrick Rose can't shoot but he definitely is the only true point guard on this squad. I'll be shocked if Spain does not win it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Ukraine has really shown the Blue Print to beating this USA team. Pack the paint, ask the guards to shoot, and they are missing. They've shot awful all tournament.
    That has always been the blueprint.

The blueprint is simply make the USA shoot threes, but hope they miss. Foul to stop fastbreaks, but somehow that doesn't get recorded as an intentional foul. And for your team to make a high percentage of threes and free throws. That's how Turkey was winning at half time. They also got every call in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    That has always been the blueprint.

The blueprint is simply make the USA shoot threes, but hope they miss. Foul to stop fastbreaks, but somehow that doesn't get recorded as an intentional foul. And for your team to make a high percentage of threes and free throws. That's how Turkey was winning at half time. They also got every call in their favor.
    With Turkey having Asik I assumed the inside game would struggle some but against Ukraine it was basically scrubs. The biggest disappointment is how greedy our guards are.

Harden and Irving don't even look to pass on the majority of plays. It's all hero ball all the time for them. I'd love to switch Irving with Rose and Harden with Klay.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I'm surprised at how much I honestly hate Kyrie's game. That dude is just a street baller. Only looks for himself, horrible shot selection, no court vision, doesn't care about his teammates. Obviously, he is immensely talented, but I'm just not a fan of his game at all. Way too selfish!
    Irving led the team in assists and steals. He also shot 4-6 from the field. You're right. He doesn't play d, takes bad shots, and definitely doesn't pass the ball because of how bad his court vision is. The most accurate part of this post is " I'm just not a fan of his game at all.". It's ok that you're not a fan but at least criticize him for what happened in the game.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Good news! They have already been planning on adding the goaltending rules for a year or so.
    Wait, what?!? Any sources on this? I haven't heard anything about it but have been clamoring for this for years.

I think the goaltending rule would make basketball too big and slow again

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    timeouts only on dead ball
    I'd love this, although it would probably be bad for the players. I recently started watching soccer and realized how great it is to be able to watch a game without spending the majority of your time watching ads. The ads are still present on the jerseys, sure, but that seems preferable to me, and it looks like we'll be getting ads on jerseys anyway at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    I think the goaltending rule would make basketball too big and slow again
    It really doesn't. It would affect like 2-4 shots a game. If you are boxing out properly, it won't happen anyway. It really benefits the quick, fast leapers more than slow ogres.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Irving led the team in assists and steals. He also shot 4-6 from the field. You're right. He doesn't play d, takes bad shots, and definitely doesn't pass the ball because of how bad his court vision is. The most accurate part of this post is " I'm just not a fan of his game at all.". It's ok that you're not a fan but at least criticize him for what happened in the game.
    He's talking about Kyrie's game in general.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Wait, what?!? Any sources on this? I haven't heard anything about it but have been clamoring for this for years.
    It's been talked about as a possible rule revision since at least 2012. Stern has been in favor of it, and I think Silver is, too. My speculation is they were waiting to see another round or two of international ball to make sure they liked it enough to bring it to the owners for a vote.

I'm going to have to make a more concerted effort to watch Kyrie. I haven't had any real issues with him in the past, though there weren't many other offensive options for him other than Waiters.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I'm going to have to make a more concerted effort to watch Kyrie. I haven't had any real issues with him in the past, though there weren't many other offensive options for him other than Waiters.
    exactly. Who should he pass the ball to? Put whoever your favorite player is on the old Cavs and they'd go for theirs every game as well. Not passing is such a bad criticism. You know what Kyrie is? He's immature. He's not motivated to play D when he doesn't have to but he is an awesome bball player. He's been the best guard on team USA. Rose & Curry both look awful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    exactly. Who should he pass the ball to? Put whoever your favorite player is on the old Cavs and they'd go for theirs every game as well. Not passing is such a bad criticism. You know what Kyrie is? He's immature. He's not motivated to play D when he doesn't have to but he is an awesome bball player. He's been the best guard on team USA. Rose & Curry both look awful out there.
    I haven't watched any games myself but hearing that bums me out. I like both those guys a lot. I hope they have good seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDavis23 View Post
    Sorry should of said who.
    No problem man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I haven't watched any games myself but hearing that bums me out. I like both those guys a lot. I hope they have good seasons.
    I hope they have bad seasons so Jrue's can climb the PG rankings and there is an extra spot in the west available. In fact, I'm predicting a very disappointing season for the warriors.

It looks like Davis is falling in love with his jumpshot.

Attachment 5719
    Not true at all...

I like the cylinder rule because it takes out the officials from making terrible decisions and slowing down the game. No doubt it would help Anthony Davis but that is secondary to me. Rule was put in to neutralize Wilt? NBA game is totally different since Wilt played
    I like the FIFA timeout rule because the games are getting too long. Anything to speed up games and take referees out of decision making I am in favor of. Referees tilt towards premium and large market teams is detrimental to game
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Having watched all of theses games I will say that Kyrie and James are definitely not pass first guys. Just because someone leads in assists doesn't mean they are making the right decisions with the ball... The ball never swings around the perimeter to make the other team play defense.

What about shorter 3 pt line in FIFA vs NBA?
    I lean towards keeping farther 3 pt line because of some guys shooting over 40%

And BTW
    After watching these games I prefer Jrue over Kyrie. I think LeBron may take him to the woodshed if he doesn't change his game

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    The NBA tried this already.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    Not true at all...
    He's going to it a lot earlier than he used to. Before he would go for the drive first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Agree with keeping it farther. Last thing we need is more guys just constantly jacking threes.

He's going to it a lot earlier than he used to. Before he would go for the drive first.

He only shot one and Ukraine had two guys under the basket because of the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    He only shot one and Ukraine had two guys under the basket because of the zone.
    I wasn't just referencing today.

Thread Information