Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Team USA and FIBA World Cup 2014 Thread

What was the closest game like 25 points? not really good competition to use as measuring stick

Coach K
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Average margin was 32 points.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I agree that Kyrie is a front runner, but the point I made was that if most people are honest with themselves they'd would agree that pure basketball talent and ability is not why they would pick Jrue over Kyrie. This sorta just proves my point. No one was criticizing you. For me it's salary. For some it's on court personality. But if Kyrie and Jrue are both making $1 towards the cap I find it hard to believe most here wouldn't take Uncle Drew.
    exactly. Kyrie is not just better but much better than Jrue
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

The closest game was 21 points against Turkey. By the way, if Kyrie will play with Lebron as last night, Cavs will be sooooo scary.

Quote Originally Posted by sibiryali View Post
    The closest game was 21 points against Turkey. By the way, if Kyrie will play with Lebron as last night, Cavs will be sooooo scary.
    I agree. I think Cleveland will be better this year than Miami was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Last year I agree Wade just didn't have it and Bosh had settled in too deeply into the 3rd option.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Kyrie Irving & Kevin Love will probably be the best players LBJ has ever played with. Wade was a shell of his former self and Bosh became a 3 point shooter. This could be a long run in Cleveland.

If Irving ever is as efficient as Wade was (yes, even last year), I would be shocked. And considering how much Bosh sacrificed on offense, in addition to the fact that he is a 40000 time better defender than Love, I would take Wade and Bosh over Irving and Love if my goal was to win a title in 2015
    @mcnamara247

...we get to go McDonalds
    Kyrie will be much more efficient this year just because LeBron's there. Anyone would be more efficient with LeBron because he makes things easier for everyone and because Kyrie doesn't have to shoulder the load of a team. Same goes for Love.

Kyrie & Love are better basketball players than Bosh & Wade right now.

I would take Kyrie in a game of one on one against Wade. And Love in a game of one on one against Bosh.

If I want to win a title this year, I take Wade and Bosh and it wouldn't even be something I would have to think about personally.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would take Kyrie in a game of one on one against Wade. And Love in a game of one on one against Bosh.

If I want to win a title this year, I take Wade and Bosh and it wouldn't even be something I would have to think about personally.
    And you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you also have to consider their trajectories are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Love & Kyrie will be better this year than last. Not true with Bosh & Wade. Not to mention that with the best player on the planet, Wade & Bosh got it handed to them worse than practically any Finals team ever -- so if you're trying to win a championship with Wade & Bosh, you have to hope to not see the Spurs. No one can say the same thing with Kyrie & Love.

I'll be interested to see if our opinions sway halfway through the season cause right now the stocks of Love & Kyrie are super high because of 'potential'.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    You still have to build a competent defense year after year. How are they gonna do that with three guys making 66 million in three years, especially if the salary cap jumps are smoothed out.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    You still have to build a competent defense year after year. How are they gonna do that with three guys making 66 million in three years, especially if the salary cap jumps are smoothed out.
    There's always a way. Good players will take a cut to win.

I think the Heat when they got to together is a significantly better team then this Cavs team is. Bosh and Wade are both good and great respectively defenders where Irving and Love or both poor defenders. Now with Wade's injury issues I'd take the pairing of Irving/Love over Wade/Bosh.

If Irving ever is as efficient as Wade was (yes, even last year), I would be shocked. And considering how much Bosh sacrificed on offense, in addition to the fact that he is a 40000 time better defender than Love, I would take Wade and Bosh over Irving and Love if my goal was to win a title in 2015
    You'd be surprised how playing with better talent will step your game up. Irving was super efficient on team USA. A player on a bad team has a different mind state than a player on a good one. I respect your opinion but in no way, shape, or form is Toronto/Miami Bosh 40000x's better than K. Love. Bosh has the defensive edge but K. Love is equal or better in every other category. Prime Wade is better than Kyrie but 2013/14 Wade isn't half as good as Kyrie

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think the Heat when they got to together is a significantly better team then this Cavs team is. Bosh and Wade are both good and great respectively defenders where Irving and Love or both poor defenders. Now with Wade's injury issues I'd take the pairing of Irving/Love over Wade/Bosh.
    Defensive shortcomings can be reduced by scheme. It's said on this site all the time when referencing Ryno. Once again, those two guys never had to play defense. They'll have to play it this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    And you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you also have to consider their trajectories are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Love & Kyrie will be better this year than last. Not true with Bosh & Wade. Not to mention that with the best player on the planet, Wade & Bosh got it handed to them worse than practically any Finals team ever -- so if you're trying to win a championship with Wade & Bosh, you have to hope to not see the Spurs. No one can say the same thing with Kyrie & Love.

I'll be interested to see if our opinions sway halfway through the season cause right now the stocks of Love & Kyrie are super high because of 'potential'.
    I agree with you about the future and I think LeBron was more focused on the future with his decision.

But if you can guarantee me a healthy Wade next year I agree with MM they are the better pair in 2015. If Wade is healthy I think the Heat are a first round home court advantage team next season.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Defensive shortcomings can be reduced by scheme. It's said on this site all the time when referencing Ryno. Once again, those two guys never had to play defense. They'll have to play it this season.
    There's a difference between protecting poor defenders via scheme and putting pressure on the offense with good defense. Not saying that the Cavs can't win a title with overpowering offense. As we know in basketball great offense beats great defense, but MIA with all 3 players healthy were able to put pressure on teams offensively and defensively. The Cavs won't have that options.

Its something that can't be measured, but "learning to win" is a real thing. And for each level you go up, there is another lesson to be learned.

I remember Pau Gasol in his first finals - He was terrible. Looked like the stage was too much for him. Next two years? Much better. There is no way to simulate it - you have to experience it. Love and Irving have played in like 4 important games in their career combined (Love's NCAA run with UCLA)

Pure talent and young legs - Sure, Irving and Love. But I would bet my car that Cleveland won't win a title this year. It just don't work like that. People act like Miami was terrible last year, but they beat anybody else but San Antonio and SA was playing maybe the best basketball I have ever seen in my entire life over those last 3 games. No shame in losing to that team.

Its something that can't be measured, but "learning to win" is a real thing. And for each level you go up, there is another lesson to be learned.

I remember Pau Gasol in his first finals - He was terrible. Looked like the stage was too much for him. Next two years? Much better. There is no way to simulate it - you have to experience it. Love and Irving have played in like 4 important games in their career combined (Love's NCAA run with UCLA)

Pure talent and young legs - Sure, Irving and Love. But I would bet my car that Cleveland won't win a title this year. It just don't work like that. People act like Miami was terrible last year, but they beat anybody else but San Antonio and SA was playing maybe the best basketball I have ever seen in my entire life over those last 3 games. No shame in losing to that team.
    I agree that the Cavs won't win. What I disagree with is in 2014/15 that Wade/Bosh are better than Irving/Love. You are absolutely correct that winning it all will be tough for the Cavs due to inexperience. No argument there.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I agree that the Cavs won't win. What I disagree with is in 2014/15 that Wade/Bosh are better than Irving/Love. You are absolutely correct that winning it all will be tough for the Cavs due to inexperience. No argument there.
    Are we talking regular season or one series?

I think Irving and Love would help Lebron get more regular season wins. But if you could somehow clone Lebron, remove Deng from Miami, and put Lebron on both Miami and Cleveland, I would take Miami in a 7 game series. No question in my mind.

There's only one way Cleveland doesn't win the championship and that's if they run into the Spurs in the Finals. Remember that I told you this. This Cleveland team is much better than Miami's team last year.

Bosh is so overrated and Wade is past it. Neither of them are good enough #2 options at this point. I would take Love and Kyrie easily.

Thread Information