Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Team USA and FIBA World Cup 2014 Thread

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    The problem that I have with this statement is when you play on the Cavs A) who do you pass to B) defense is mostly team and scheme. I'll bet money since Kyrie has better players around him that he'll pass more and play more defense.
    Funny you say that last sentence because I'm talking about right now. Every player on the team is All-Star caliber or Miles Plumlee. And he and Harden are taking the bulk of the shots. Not this game specifically, mind you. But overall.

So much of our past success has depended on Kevin Durant and Melo's ability to play off a driving LeBron or being set up by Chris Paul. Or even Iggy.

This team doesn't have anything like a true point guard or table setter to run the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So much of our past success has depended on Kevin Durant and Melo's ability to play off a driving LeBron or being set up by Chris Paul. Or even Iggy.

This team doesn't have anything like a true point guard or table setter to run the show.
    Agreed. Not much interest in ball movement or setting up motion off-ball. Reminds me of early 2000s NBA basketball.

Davis and Asik both playing well so far today.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Harden ball watching as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Davis and Asik both playing well so far today.
    PnRs with Asik are gonna be dynamite.

I will say that Asik has struggled with TOs in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I will say that Asik has struggled with TOs in the 2nd half.
    He won't get this many touches in an NBA game or see as much ball pressure off a defensive rebound. don't think its an issue IMO

really liked the 2nd half for davis, had 9pts in the first 3mins, up to 18 now
    never assume

Imagine what Davis will be like if he gets up to the offensive skill level of a Drummond or Cousins!

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Imagine what Davis will be like if he gets up to the offensive skill level of a Drummond or Cousins!
    Stop it, David. God knows we only need one active thread of that sort.

I will say, Drummond could be the second coming of Hakeem for all I know. I don't watch that many Pistons games, Pelicans make me enough of a masochist. But his usage statistics and how he generates his offense don't reflect that.

AD has a more varied offensive game, in terms of how he scores, than almost any big in basketball. I don't really care about the diversity of his moves. He spends at least 10% of each of his offense as iso, post-ups, cuts, transition, P&R, put backs, etc. And he does all of those things at least reasonably well, which makes it hard to take away his offense. It can be done at this stage with a limited supporting cast, at least (see: Grizzlies game from this year), but it takes doing.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 08-31-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Jrue and Tyreke will feast on opposing guards with Asik setting picks.......can't wait!!!!!!!

Asik's screens all game were excellent. However, when his guards turned the corner Davis was waiting so Turkey just wasn't effective.

What a beast Davis was in 2nd half.

Good to see Davis vs asik

Davis continues to look like the clear cut best player on the team.

His work on both ends was the main reason we began to pull away in the second. Though Faried deserves a lot of credit too. Outside of Davis Faried has impressed me more then anyone else on the team.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 08-31-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Observations on FIBA USA vs Turkey:

Glad that Omer Asik and Anthony Davis are on same NBA team because Omer effectively neutralized AD in the first half when the were matched up more often than in the second half.

Omer Asiki:
    Rebounded well and had good positioning against AD in first half
    Monster relentless rebounder and P & R player
    Active feet with good movement
    His weak backcourt couldn't deliver the ball on P & R
    He went through a stretch in first half where he had 7 rebounds in 7 minutes of play
    He beat Cousins on D in 1 one 1
    He had no help on D
    He beat AD on P & R in second half one on one
    He is a bad FT shooter
    Best moment was when he beat AD on rebound, scored, got fouled and smiled broadly when he went to line

Anthony Davis:
    Took control of game in 2ncd half stretch when he scored on 4 of 5 possessions in a row
    Played better when Asik was not on court
    Believe he scored 19 pts in second half
    Improved on traps and steals
    In contention for USA basketball MVP with Ken Faried and (choke) James Harden

BTW
    props to Finnish and Turkish fans
    Obviously passionate about their basketball and supportive of their national teams and players
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Harden is in midseason form defensively.

Harden is in midseason form defensively.
    I almost broke a rib laughing when this happened...

One of the aussie commentators was talking about Harden and said how good he was defensively
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    One of the aussie commentators was talking about Harden and said how good he was defensively
    Hahaha wow

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Davis continues to look like the clear cut best player on the team.

His work on both ends was the main reason we began to pull away in the second. Though Faried deserves a lot of credit too. Outside of Davis Faried has impressed me more then anyone else on the team.
    I don't think Davis is clear cut but it is definitely between he and Faried.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Observations on FIBA USA vs Turkey:

Glad that Omer Asik and Anthony Davis are on same NBA team because Omer effectively neutralized AD in the first half when the were matched up more often than in the second half.

Omer Asiki:
    Rebounded well and had good positioning against AD in first half
    Monster relentless rebounder and P & R player
    Active feet with good movement
    His weak backcourt couldn't deliver the ball on P & R
    He went through a stretch in first half where he had 7 rebounds in 7 minutes of play
    He beat Cousins on D in 1 one 1
    He had no help on D
    He beat AD on P & R in second half one on one
    He is a bad FT shooter
    Best moment was when he beat AD on rebound, scored, got fouled and smiled broadly when he went to line

Anthony Davis:
    Took control of game in 2ncd half stretch when he scored on 4 of 5 possessions in a row
    Played better when Asik was not on court
    Believe he scored 19 pts in second half
    Improved on traps and steals
    In contention for USA basketball MVP with Ken Faried and (choke) James Harden

BTW
    props to Finnish and Turkish fans
    Obviously passionate about their basketball and supportive of their national teams and players
    I like this post but I think Irving is playing better than Harden in this tournament.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 09-01-2014 at 11:02 AM.

After watching this game, I'm more convinced than ever that C is not AD's best position. He's just not physical enough. Also, when Davis gets better on offense, he's going to be scary. Right now he scores about 75% of his buckets on fast breaks, lobs, and put backs. When he gets an offensive repertoire, watch out.

Aww man, the fourth quarter of this Philippine vs Argentina game has been so damn awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I heard commentators praising his defense for team USA and I just couldn't help but wonder if we were watching two different teams. Or maybe the commentator was confusing Harden with anyone else in the team.

Thread Information