Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Players (any position) for 2014-15

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    My list is below. I considered putting Harden on there and considered Marc Gasol. Probably could have put Blake Griffin or Kevin Love, Dirk or Duncan. It's not easy to make this list. What's your take? Do you have a top 10?

1. LeBron
    2. Durant
    3. Davis
    4. Paul
    5. Kobe
    6. Melo
    7. Howard
    8. Lillard
    9. Curry
    10. Leonard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would replace D12 wit LA, and lillard with Westbrook and Leonard with Jrue YES Jrue Holliday! Im expecting a big year from him

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Starting in 2015, men can have babies. That is my respectful opinion based on how I interpret the future of procreation.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Starting in 2015, men can have babies. That is my respectful opinion based on how I interpret the future of procreation.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    You are flat out naive. Davis will be in the top ten at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    calm down, did you even read my post? I think he will be a top 10 player, but I wouldn't make a statement like you just made if someone said he wasn't a top 15 player.

Edit: Also your list is terrible. you think Kobe is still a top 5 player? Leonard and Lillard that high? Westbrook not even in your top 16? Hilarious.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 08-30-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    you think Kobe is still a top 5 player?
    depends how you form these lists. if someone said kobe, tim duncan, and garnett were top 3 you'd know they look at entirety of career. if someone said lebron, durant, AD, they'd be looking at most recent dominance and ability now.
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    i ask this because I've been guilty as a scout of what i thinks happening here. are you "sticking with your scouting report?" i didn't buy into the ad hype at 1st, but its hard not to now because of his development. last year, anthony davis was the youngest player to ever average 20 and 10, not to mention he's competitive on defense. plays inside, and surprisingly to everyone he can stretch the court. you could argue he is a top 3 player easier than he's not top 20. my question is, what would AD have to do to vault himself to top 10 on your list?
    Not sure if you have Synergy, but if you do look at Davis. He has 3 basic moves in his repertoire. Pull-up jumper(almost always on one dribble), straight line drive(almost always on one dribble) to his face up game. His post game just has a quick turn move that results in a hook shot/jump shot/floater, or a one dribble and a layup/dunk attempt if he is close enough. His game is not anywhere close to being that of a superstar. His has game has no variation nothing even close to a counter to those moves if he can't get the advantage he's forced to take a bad contested/off balance attempt.

People are judging by stats, but again I'd argue that is equally as subjective when determining overall talent. Greivis Vasquez was atop of the leader board in assist when he was here and we dealt with injuries.

To answer your question I need him to develop at the very least a really good offensives skill set while improving defensively. Scoring and being skilled offensively isn't the same thing.

So what you're saying is with three moves Davis, in his second season, scored 20 points a game on 51.9% from the field. And this is a bad thing because unlike NBA players, coaches, and front offices YOU HAVE SYNERGY so you can really scout?
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Lol the fact that he can get 20 points per game with 3 moves is a feat in itself. And that's what makes Davis' potential scary. And apart of the reason he doesn't have any go to moves is because his combination of body control, touch around the basket, and athletiscism makes up for his lack of skill. He seems to do a ton of little things so well that it all collectively accumulates him into being so great. He'll get 30 points in a game and its hard to remember how because he did a little bit of everything in variety of ways. Just because he isn't your prototypical superstar, shouldn't take away from his status being one now or in the future.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    one dimensional scoring isn't always a bad thing. jerry west clips are boring to watch because its the same shot over and over.....but....I'm sure AD will develop over time. he's still young, and don't forget he's new to the position. Hopefully, hell have a hakeem olajuwon type development though

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not sure if you have Synergy, but if you do look at Davis. He has 3 basic moves in his repertoire. Pull-up jumper(almost always on one dribble), straight line drive(almost always on one dribble) to his face up game. His post game just has a quick turn move that results in a hook shot/jump shot/floater, or a one dribble and a layup/dunk attempt if he is close enough. His game is not anywhere close to being that of a superstar. His has game has no variation nothing even close to a counter to those moves if he can't get the advantage he's forced to take a bad contested/off balance attempt.

People are judging by stats, but again I'd argue that is equally as subjective when determining overall talent. Greivis Vasquez was atop of the leader board in assist when he was here and we dealt with injuries.

To answer your question I need him to develop at the very least a really good offensives skill set while improving defensively. Scoring and being skilled offensively isn't the same thing.
    Just wondering how many moves does Andre Drummond have?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

I don't get what people want when they debate him on this. Literally every member of the Nat'l Media, scouting departments, and coaching staffs feel one way about Davis and Da Throne feels another. And you think YOU are gonna be able to sway him????

Let the man have his opinion and just ignore it on the rare occasion when he shares it unprovoked.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't get what people want when they debate him on this. Literally every member of the Nat'l Media, scouting departments, and coaching staffs feel one way about Davis and Da Throne feels another. And you think YOU are gonna be able to sway him????

Let the man have his opinion and just ignore it on the rare occasion when he shares it unprovoked.
    First off, welcome back from vacation. Secondly, i agree. I think every debate needs a Da Throne or someone to challange a believed notion. I can undestand why conflict will raise based on statistics and analytics, but thats what makes sports fun. Different opinions being challanged or spoken.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

i think the guy has a point, we all know he wasn't that great defensively last season, and a descent number of his baskets were assisted or putbacks. He still has a long ways to go on both ends of the floor. The difference is, we think he'll get better, Da throne doesn't. He looked good today using his strength on a couple of drives and finishing through contact, hopefully he learns to be more aggressive going to the basket.

Yeeeeeee M&M is baaaack

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    i think the guy has a point, we all know he wasn't that great defensively last season, and a descent number of his baskets were assisted or putbacks. He still has a long ways to go on both ends of the floor. The difference is, we think he'll get better, Da throne doesn't. He looked good today using his strength on a couple of drives and finishing through contact, hopefully he learns to be more aggressive going to the basket.
    Literally every single person on the planet except one thinks he will get better - and much better at that.

Yet, despite it being clear as day Da Throne will never change his mind, people keep trying. Spend your time elsewhere I say

You have Drummond ranked higher and he is 1000x more limited on offense.

Literally every single person on the planet except one thinks he will get better - and much better at that.

Yet, despite it being clear as day Da Throne will never change his mind, people keep trying. Spend your time elsewhere I say
    1st welcome back.

2nd I never said he won't get better. Not sure where that has ever been stated by me. The question is how much better vs how much better people will scout against him.

Lastly I take exception to the fact that you(and many other) are trying to portray me as someone that's being bullishly stubborn or lacking an ability to accept when I'm wrong. As if I'm moving the goal post. My case against Davis has always been skill-set related and never about production or efficiency. He was productive and efficient at UK. Which is how he won National Player of the year. Again my opinion has varied a good bit I never thought he'd be a top 50 player yet I have him top 25. To say "it's clear as day" that I'll never change my mind is to approach this topic with your own blinders on. Sometimes it pays to look yourself in the mirror when being critical of others.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    This thread is dumb.

1st welcome back.

2nd I never said he won't get better. Not sure where that has ever been stated by me. The question is how much better vs how much better people will scout against him.

Lastly I take exception to the fact that you(and many other) are trying to portray me as someone that's being bullishly stubborn or lacking an ability to accept when I'm wrong. As if I'm moving the goal post. My case against Davis has always been skill-set related and never about production or efficiency. He was productive and efficient at UK. Which is how he won National Player of the year. Again my opinion has varied a good bit I never thought he'd be a top 50 player yet I have him top 25. To say "it's clear as day" that I'll never change my mind is to approach this topic with your own blinders on. Sometimes it pays to look yourself in the mirror when being critical of others.
    But haven't you moved the goal post? During the season you admitted Davis was better than Drummond. Now here we are in the summer and you have Drummond ahead of Davis. You complain Davis only has 3 moves on offense. Drummond has 0. Heck, you even admitted during the season that Davis deserved to be the No. 1 pick based off his current production.

You say you have changed your opinion of him but before the draft you had Drummond ahead and after 2 years still do based on, gut? They are on the same team now. Why hasn't Drummond beat him out? Skillset. But, I thought skillset was the reason Davis was so low?

1st welcome back.

If you haven't changed your tune after the guy had the best season as a 20 yr old ever and a better 2nd season than KG and Duncan, my bet is that you never will. You act like there have been other 19 and 20 yr olds who have come into the league with 8-10 ways to score on grown men.

But you aren't gonna suck me in! I am perfectly fine with one person in the world having a counter opinion. And if you view yourself as open minded, thats cool with me too.

It is good to have a da throne to go against the grain and challenge the popular opinion. However, when the only argument being presented is the "eye test" it tends to frustrate the hell out of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    But haven't you moved the goal post? During the season you admitted Davis was better than Drummond. Now here we are in the summer and you have Drummond ahead of Davis. You complain Davis only has 3 moves on offense. Drummond has 0. Heck, you even admitted during the season that Davis deserved to be the No. 1 pick based off his current production.

You say you have changed your opinion of him but before the draft you had Drummond ahead and after 2 years still do based on, gut? They are on the same team now. Why hasn't Drummond beat him out? Skillset. But, I thought skillset was the reason Davis was so low?
    First Drummond is limited in range not ability. He in my opinion has more skills in his wheel house than Davis. The only skill Davis has that Drummond doesn't center around shooting the ball. Drummond has both the quick turning hook and the ability to beat people with a quick 1st step(unlike Davis he can also attack laterally and usually with more than one dribble). He also has a quick spin both directions, with a counter quick turn into a hook, a drop step which either leads to a power dip, or quick turning hook. Saying Drummond has 0 moves is just a lazy defense mechanism.

Again production factors in so most of the credit Davis gets for last year is link to his production. This list isn't about 2013-14 it's about projection for 2014-15.

Who's a more offensively skilled big than Cousins IMO nobody and he's behind Davis and Faried. Do many people think Plumlee has a brighter future than Drummond probably not yet he's playing ahead of Drummond. Team USA depth chart has little to do with guys individual talent nice try though.

First Drummond is limited in range not ability. He in my opinion has more skills in his wheel house than Davis. The only skill Davis has that Drummond doesn't center around shooting the ball. Drummond has both the quick turning hook and the ability to beat people with a quick 1st step(unlike Davis he can also attack laterally and usually with more than one dribble). He also has a quick spin both directions, with a counter quick turn into a hook, a drop step which either leads to a power dip, or quick turning hook. Saying Drummond has 0 moves is just a lazy defense mechanism.

Again production factors in so most of the credit Davis gets for last year is link to his production. This list isn't about 2013-14 it's about projection for 2014-15.

Who's a more offensively skilled big than Cousins IMO nobody and he's behind Davis and Faried. Do many people think Plumlee has a brighter future than Drummond probably not yet he's playing ahead of Drummond. Team USA depth chart has little to do with guys individual talent nice try though.
    Cool story bro.

If you haven't changed your tune after the guy had the best season as a 20 yr old ever and a better 2nd season than KG and Duncan, my bet is that you never will. You act like there have been other 19 and 20 yr olds who have come into the league with 8-10 ways to score on grown men.

But you aren't gonna suck me in! I am perfectly fine with one person in the world having a counter opinion. And if you view yourself as open minded, thats cool with me too.
    You are skating around the issue once again. If you are going to interject yourself into this discussion calling me out own up to your comments. When have I ever said Davis won't get better? What about my statement dealing with my issue being with skill set not just production. You are just going to ignore the topic at hand because you know you are wrong. So if you are going to say something be a man and own it, but if you aren't going to allow me to "suck you in" then stay out.

Also better 2nd year how did you come up with that? Duncan won a title while averaging 21 and 11 his 2nd year.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 08-31-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Cool story bro.
    If you aren't going to add anything to discussion why bother. People poke and poke at me trying to understand my view point, but really are as closed minded as they accuse me of being. I explain myself a every time and when I do it's usually leads to comments like this.

We have already established production in player elevation takes a back seat to skill set for me. I've explain with some detail why I view Davis the way I do same with Drummond. Neither has changed thus far. If you aren't picking my brain to potentially learn something why keep asking? If it so obvious and y'all are all clearly right then there's no need to engage me. Agreed?

Thread Information