Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Players (any position) for 2014-15

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You are on a discussion board and making assertions that no expert in the nba would back you up on. The onus is on you to prove that your assertions deserve merit. Further asserting your kindness and grace doesn't get you any step closer to achieving any legitimacy to your arguments.

Your list is an absolute joke and the fact that your best supporting evidence so far has been a cherry picked highlight reel says it all. I honestly gave you more credit then most on this board have in many topics but this thread literally makes me think you are either a troll or are completely incapable of analyzing basketball objectively and with any merit. Because the amount of things wrong with that list is just staggering and when your fallback is to appeal to the unquantifiable and then assert your righteousness I have to step back and laugh at the absurdity of it.
    1st there is no onus on anyone. It's not required to have an opinion and I can careless who agrees and who doesn't. I'm not afraid to stand on my own. If my list is a joke then laugh. If I'm a troll then ignore. If I know nothing about basketball then whats the big deal pay me no mind. However don't act like I haven't been thorough when defending my logic time and time and time again respectfully when ask to by individual. You don't agree for the 1000X that your business. However saying all I've added was a highlight is to ignore all the times I have explained in detail my stance. People remember what they want to remember.

*sighs* it always ends up like this

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    1st there is no onus on anyone. It's not required to have an opinion and I can careless who agrees and who doesn't. I'm not afraid to stand on my own. If my list is a joke then laugh. If I'm a troll then ignore. If I know nothing about basketball then whats the big deal pay me no mind. However don't act like I haven't been thorough when defending my logic time and time and time again respectfully when ask to by individual. You don't agree for the 1000X that your business. However saying all I've added was a highlight is to ignore all the times I have explained in detail my stance. People remember what they want to remember.
    You have no good arguments.

Half the time you are railing on Davis for people judging him on potential like in the thread where you claimed he isn't a franchise changer. The other half you are showing a complete ignorance of Davis as a player, calling him a Serge Ibaka clone and such and saying his potential is limited.

But then most of your arguments supporting Drummond over Davis rest on that very premise of potential. Or worse the "eye test." A completely unquantifiable metric. Because any combination of advanced stats, overall stats, expert opinions, other nba players, and current skillset Davis is the clear victor. Yet you continue to side with unverifiable stats as your metric while everyone else disagrees. In no enviorenemnt or situation be it legal or a formal debate or even a argument amongst friends, can a person receive any credence without supporting evidence

And when your only argument is the "eye test" and you have been so utterly wrong about Davis before why should your opinion have any value to even yourself? Considering you are the guy who has claimed Davis would struggle in the NBA, his game would not adjust from college, he wouldn't develop much of a offensive skill set outside of what he did in college, he would struggle to out on weight and his frame wouldn't take it without hurting his game drastically, you thought guys like Barnes, Robinson and both Jones would be more effective "stars" day one in the nba then Davis. He is a less skilled Anthony Randolph. I could go on and on. But when your past "eye tests" have been that bad, what makes you think you deserve any credibility in the present? Or at the very least don't deeply need to rethink how you evaluate players considering how poor you have been at it? Especially with Davis?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 08-28-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    The sky is yellow.
    Oh NO!
    The Earth has Jaundice!

The END IS NEAR!!!

Banned

Half the time you are railing on Davis for people judging him on potential like in the thread where you claimed he isn't a franchise changer. The other half you are showing a complete ignorance of Davis as a player, calling him a Serge Ibaka clone and such and saying his potential is limited.

But then most of your arguments supporting Drummond over Davis rest on that very premise of potential. Or worse the "eye test." A completely unquantifiable metric. Because any combination of advanced stats, overall stats, expert opinions, other nba players, and current skillset Davis is the clear victor. Yet you continue to side with unverifiable stats as your metric while everyone else disagrees. In no enviorenemnt or situation be it legal or a formal debate or even a argument amongst friends, can a person receive any credence without supporting evidence

And when your only argument is the "eye test" and you have been so utterly wrong about Davis before why should your opinion have any value to even yourself? Considering you are the guy who has claimed Davis would struggle in the NBA, his game would not adjust from college, he wouldn't develop much of a offensive skill set outside of what he did in college, he would struggle to out on weight and his frame wouldn't take it without hurting his game drastically, you thought guys like Barnes, Robinson and both Jones would be more effective "stars" day one in the nba then Davis. He is a less skilled Anthony Randolph. I could go on and on. But when your past "eye tests" have been that bad, what makes you think you deserve any credibility in the present? Or at the very least don't deeply need to rethink how you evaluate players considering how poor you have been at it? Especially with Davis?
    Precisely. It's one thing to say you have any opinion that is different, but when your opinion is always different and you literally never have any support for it, then it just becomes a show. Everything that can prove him wrong he discredits and has no actual support for anything he says. Then to top it off, suggests others are ignorant and he is the reasonable one because he is so polite in his routinely ignorant and reaction-seeking posts. It's a joke, but this will be the last time I address this dude. He is obviously full of it and doesn't actually believe the things he says.

This is Lebron's time. Durant is next. And after him Anthony Davis' time will start.
    Rest of the star players move up a bit and move down a bit in the rankings but only these three are exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    James
    Durant
    Popovich
    Davis
    Paul
    Howard
    Love
    Faried
    M. Gasol
    Ibaka
    lmao @ popovich

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Precisely. It's one thing to say you have any opinion that is different, but when your opinion is always different and you literally never have any support for it, then it just becomes a show. Everything that can prove him wrong he discredits and has no actual support for anything he says. Then to top it off, suggests others are ignorant and he is the reasonable one because he is so polite in his routinely ignorant and reaction-seeking posts. It's a joke, but this will be the last time I address this dude. He is obviously full of it and doesn't actually believe the things he says.
    The sad thing is he clearly DOES believe it. Just looking at the guys post history he clearly put his eggs in the Anthony Davis will likely bust basket and has refused to reconcile reality with his prediction ever since. Constantly downplaying his growth and playing damage control. He hasn't given an inch without kicking and screaming when it comes to Davis. Even in the face of the overwhelming evidence that Davis is going to be much more then he predicted. Now he seems to cling to his assertions that Drummond is better then Davis because it's his last hope of salvaging his original predictions. It's his Alamo and he is gonna fight it til the bitter end.

Banned
    The sad thing is he clearly DOES believe it. Just looking at the guys post history he clearly put his eggs in the Anthony Davis will likely bust basket and has refused to reconcile reality with his prediction ever since. Constantly downplaying his growth and playing damage control. He hasn't given an inch without kicking and screaming when it comes to Davis. Even in the face of the overwhelming evidence that Davis is going to be much more then he predicted. Now he seems to cling to his assertions that Drummond is better then Davis because it's his last hope of salvaging his original predictions. It's his Alamo and he is gonna fight it til the bitter end.
    I personally think he says it because it's the internet. I offered bets on 7 categories and he can even negotiate some of them to put his money where his mouth is. He wants to say stats aren't everything, ok. But out of 7, if AD beats (meaning better in 4+) all of the guys that are clearly inferior at this point yet above him on that list then that's telling. He wants no part of anything he actually has to own up to. He wants to just pop off dumb **** because it gets him attention. I'm done with it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans25_ZERO View Post
    chris bosh will surprise many this year..
    If he returns to form, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if people remembered the versatile All-Star player from his Toronto years.

Hell. Before we got Davis, I lobbied for us to acquire him.

He said, desperately trying to get the thread away from the same ol' "ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG ABOUT DAVIS, DA_THRONE!!!!!" brikabrak.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If he returns to form, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if people remembered the versatile All-Star player from his Toronto years.

Hell. Before we got Davis, I lobbied for us to acquire him.

He said, desperately trying to get the thread away from the same ol' "ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG ABOUT DAVIS, DA_THRONE!!!!!" brikabrak.
    Yeah if Bosh can mix the defense and range he developed in Miami with the post game and offense that made him the all-star he was in Toronto he could legitimately have the best year of his career.

Re-watching a couple of the USA games again it is so evident how good Davis is. He is the most complete player on the team. Over 4 games he is 57% from the field and has only 4 less blocks then the rest of the team combined. He has 15 blocks while the rest of the team has 19.

It is also evident how much of a one-trick pony Harden is. I hate watching him. He has one superstar skill set: getting to the line. And that is often done with flailing and flopping which makes it hard to respect a guy like that. Outside of that he is a inefficient and selfish volume shooter with no defense. In 4 games his stat line is 14-37, 37% FG, 3-16 3p on 18% 3fg%. He is the poorest shooting starter yet has taken the most shots.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 08-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.

First the idea that I called Davis a bust is false and is undeniable proof that some of you will only read from my post what you want to read.

2nd player take time to develop and evaluate because not every player comes into the league at the same level of development and not every player is given a chance to show what they can do at the same time if ever. Saying I'm wrong at this point first ignores the fact that guys haven't all been allowed to develop or show case said development. Of course opinions of long term potential will be formed and stats will factor in. But to say because player X had better stats than player Y after two years is far too short-sided to take seriously. It doesn't take into consideration any of the important factors that has an impact on stats. But since you are preaching to the choir people will ignore short-sided comments like calling Davis "The clear victor" when these young men are only 2 years into their careers.

Davis as it stand is a guy that has put up really good numbers on a bad team(due to injures) which was designed around what he does well. It happens all the time Davis' play style is just something advance stats are kind to. Don't turn the ball over and get steals and blocks. We were a poor rebounding team so of course his numbers are going to look good and basically just finish as the roll man on PNRs and dunk when he's wide open which he is comfortable with and that gave him an good FG percentage because he's a below average jump shooter ATM. He got the superstar treatment which bailed him out many times because his basic face-up and post game makes him average to below average at creating his own points. If he can't get the advantage with the first quick dribble he's forced to throw up and off balanced shot because he has no counter moves due to having poor coordination(bad feet).

Yes there were some things that I undervalued in Davis' game mostly his touch around the basket. But much of my concerns from his college days are still present now. Davis has some ability and is a hard working high IQ player. Again I won't be as high on him until I see those concern with his game address.

Again with hyperbole. My opinions aren't always different this is you talking to pander to the crowd and has zero truth to it.

2ndly I don't recall saying anyone is ignorant and if I did it certainly wasn't because they disagreed with me or believe in the stats they presented. If anything attacking a person for a differing opinion is where the problem lays.

I personally think he says it because it's the internet. I offered bets on 7 categories and he can even negotiate some of them to put his money where his mouth is. He wants to say stats aren't everything, ok. But out of 7, if AD beats (meaning better in 4+) all of the guys that are clearly inferior at this point yet above him on that list then that's telling. He wants no part of anything he actually has to own up to. He wants to just pop off dumb **** because it gets him attention. I'm done with it.
    No it's because I look at things through my own eyes, not impressed with hype, and form my on opinions.

As far as your bet what would it prove? Would you be willing to concede that Drummond is better than Davis if you lost? I highly doubt it and you shouldn't because we have no idea what could happen. That's why the bet is pointless. It was a mucho move on your part to try to make yourself feel right.

Banned
    No it's because I look at things through my own eyes, not impressed with hype, and form my on opinions.

As far as your bet what would it prove? Would you be willing to concede that Drummond is better than Davis if you lost? I highly doubt it and you shouldn't because we have no idea what could happen. That's why the bet is pointless. It was a mucho move on your part to try to make yourself feel right.
    I will put money up just like you. I know you won't win because your opinions are that outlandish, no way I lose that bet; that's how secure I am in your opinions being that off base. You want to actually stand behind the garbage you post or not? It appears not. You seem to confuse 'standing on your own' and 'not being forced by the crowd' with attention seeking ignorance, which is what you actually display. You're full of ****.

So let's get this straight. Not one professional analyst shares your point of view on your 'against the grain' opinions. Most on here never agree with you. The numbers show the exact opposite of what you believe to be true in many instances. Several different people have made the same assertions about you and your 'act.' And you have no actual statistical or tangible support for your opinions that can be reviewed, analyzed or tested and refuse to put your garbage opinions up to stand behind them. Got it.

Again, there is a thin line between standing on your own and being secure in an unpopular yet valid/supported opinion and being a guy who is against the grain for being against the grain. That is you. Not really a secret either at this point. You're a troll.

First the idea that I called Davis a bust is false and is undeniable proof that some of you will only read from my post what you want to read.

2nd player take time to develop and evaluate because not every player comes into the league at the same level of development and not every player is given a chance to show what they can do at the same time if ever. Saying I'm wrong at this point first ignores the fact that guys haven't all been allowed to develop or show case said development. Of course opinions of long term potential will be formed and stats will factor in. But to say because player X had better stats than player Y after two years is far too short-sided to take seriously. It doesn't take into consideration any of the important factors that has an impact on stats. But since you are preaching to the choir people will ignore short-sided comments like calling Davis "The clear victor" when these young men are only 2 years into their careers.

Davis as it stand is a guy that has put up really good numbers on a bad team(due to injures) which was designed around what he does well. It happens all the time Davis' play style is just something advance stats are kind to. Don't turn the ball over and get steals and blocks. We were a poor rebounding team so of course his numbers are going to look good and basically just finish as the roll man on PNRs and dunk when he's wide open which he is comfortable with and that gave him an good FG percentage because he's a below average jump shooter ATM. He got the superstar treatment which bailed him out many times because his basic face-up and post game makes him average to below average at creating his own points. If he can't get the advantage with the first quick dribble he's forced to throw up and off balanced shot because he has no counter moves due to having poor coordination(bad feet).

Yes there were some things that I undervalued in Davis' game mostly his touch around the basket. But much of my concerns from his college days are still present now. Davis has some ability and is a hard working high IQ player. Again I won't be as high on him until I see those concern with his game address.
    I can't wait til I'm off my phone and can quote and link the crap you spewed about Davis that Google turned up. I've got you claiming was poised to be a less athletic Anthony Randolph, offensive game that will peak at Deight Howard levels. That he will never sniff being a top ten player. That he is one of the most overrated prospects coming out of college. That their will be close to ten players better then him coming out the draft.

It's gonna be fun for me.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 08-28-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I can't wait til I'm off my phone and can quote and link the crap you spewed about Davis that Google turned up. I've got you claiming was poised to be a less athletic Anthony Randolph, offensive game that will peak at Deight Howard levels. That he will never sniff being a top ten player. That he is one of the most overrated prospects coming out of college. That their will be close to ten players better then him coming out the draft.

Nooooooooooo! He won't be readddddyyyy.

I will put money up just like you. I know you won't win because your opinions are that outlandish, no way I lose that bet; that's how secure I am in your opinions being that off base. You want to actually stand behind the garbage you post or not? It appears not. You seem to confuse 'standing on your own' and 'not being forced by the crowd' with attention seeking ignorance, which is what you actually display. You're full of ****.

So let's get this straight. Not one professional analyst shares your point of view on your 'against the grain' opinions. Most on here never agree with you. The numbers show the exact opposite of what you believe to be true in many instances. Several different people have made the same assertions about you and your 'act.' And you have no actual statistical or tangible support for your opinions that can be reviewed, analyzed or tested and refuse to put your garbage opinions up to stand behind them. Got it.

Again, there is a thin line between standing on your own and being secure in an unpopular yet valid/supported opinion and being a guy who is against the grain for being against the grain. That is you. Not really a secret either at this point. You're a troll.
    1st if you truly believe I'm here to entice people why are you letting me bother you? 2nd I've said these things about Davis when he was at UK and well before we won the lotto. So I either I'm clairvoyant or I just think he's drastically overrated.

The problem here is you are rushing to judgment with insufficient evidence, because it makes your case. You are taking two years(really just one) worth of stats from rookies and sophomores players and saying that one player is therefore greater than another. It's is far too early to draw those long term conclusions.

As far as the bet I have not even given you an answer. I simply pointed out that it won't solve anything. If my opinion of Davis changes anymore than it already has it'll be because I see him improving on the areas that concerns me. It certainly won't have anything to do with any bets.

I don't recall saying Davis lacked athleticism or being more limited than Dwight Howard. I did say something like Tyson Chandler with a jumper and clearly he's more advance than that of course I correct myself and compared him to Ibaka which I still do. Still don't think he'll be a top 10 player. I still think he's vastly overrated and overhyped.

Have fun. Really I'm interested to see what you dig up.

I don't think it would be a stretch to say Davis isn't a top 10 or even 15 player this upcoming season

You could put
    Lebron
    Durant
    Paul
    Westbrook
    Blake
    Love
    Curry
    Aldridge
    Rose
    MGasol
    Harden
    Dwight
    Parker
    Dirk
    Noah

Over him and not get a ton of dirty looks from me. But its where he buys into the hype machine of Drummond, Leonard, and Cousins that kills me.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 08-29-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    compared him to Ibaka. Still don't think he'll be a top 10 player. he's vastly overrated and overhyped. I'm interested to see what you dig up.
    i ask this because I've been guilty as a scout of what i thinks happening here. are you "sticking with your scouting report?" i didn't buy into the ad hype at 1st, but its hard not to now because of his development. last year, anthony davis was the youngest player to ever average 20 and 10, not to mention he's competitive on defense. plays inside, and surprisingly to everyone he can stretch the court. you could argue he is a top 3 player easier than he's not top 20. my question is, what would AD have to do to vault himself to top 10 on your list?
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    You are flat out naive. Davis will be in the top ten at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I don't think it would be a stretch to say Davis isn't a top 10 or even 15 player this upcoming season

You could put
    Lebron
    Durant
    Paul
    Westbrook
    Blake
    Love
    Curry
    Aldridge
    Rose
    MGasol
    Harden
    Dwight
    Parker
    Dirk
    Noah

Over him and not get a ton of dirty looks from me. But its where he buys into the hype machine of Drummond, Leonard, and Cousins that kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Davis is recognized by his peers Durant, Kobe, Paul etc as a true freak of nature. He's going to be better than Garnett and Aldridge. He's going to be closer to a duncan with more athleticism. There is no way you make a silly claim that he's not even in the top 20.

I don't recall saying Davis lacked athleticism or being more limited than Dwight Howard. I did say something like Tyson Chandler with a jumper and clearly he's more advance than that of course I correct myself and compared him to Ibaka which I still do. Still don't think he'll be a top 10 player. I still think he's vastly overrated and overhyped.

Have fun. Really I'm interested to see what you dig up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The respect Davis has from Durant for one Is so high

Thread Information