Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Final cuts made for team USA roster

Team USA Final cuts made for team USA roster

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news...-cup-team.aspx

They kept 6 bigs on, alot more than I was expecting, curious to see how Coach K plans to use this roster, more traditional (or just big) than previous rosters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Should have cut drummond and kept Parsons IMO, they need more shooters

I would have cut Derozen and kept Korver. Other than that, I think the team is fine

I'd actually keep Drummond and drop Plumlee, and then pick up another wing like Parsons. I think Drummond has advantages over international bigs that Plumlee doesn't

It's crazy that Miles Plumbee made the team. If he wasn't from Duke he would have never even got an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    It's crazy that Miles Plumbee made the team. If he wasn't from Duke he would have never even got an invite.
    To be fair, he was on the select team and then got promoted because he was playing well against the USA roster.

Its not about assembling the best players. Its about the best fit. Plumlee can impact a game without ever needing the ball. He can defend the P&R and protect the rim.

If we were ranking players in the NBA, yes he would come way behind Lillard, Parsons, etc., but he will go 100% every practice and game and won't complain if he doesn't play or just gets 2 mins here or there.

I would trust him more against Spain than Cousins or Drummond, even though he isn't half the player in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Above the Rim View Post
    I would have cut Derozen and kept Korver. Other than that, I think the team is fine
    Korver is one dimensional IMO, Derozen can do multiple things. If needed he could take over a game offensively. .A better fit IMO...

Plumlee and Derozan should have been replaced (Plumlee because we already kept Cousins and Drummond, Derozan because of below average perimeter shooting) with Lillard and another wing, preferably Korver.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Korver is one dimensional IMO, Derozen can do multiple things. If needed he could take over a game offensively. .A better fit IMO...
    Why would you ever need a guy to take over a game offensively when you have Harden, AD, Curry, Irving, Rose, etc. etc? You need one dimensional guys around stars, not more quasi stars

Gay made it after all

Gay has the length to play some small ball 4 - thats pretty much all he played in games so far. He makes sense. Derozen doesn't to me. I can't see a situation in which he helps. I would rather play three guard lineups than have him on the court. He is the only guy I don't get when you think of how the International game is played.

Quick guards, shooters, and rim protectors. That is what you need in Int'l ball. Derozen doesn't provide any of those things

I thought he was quick?

Not with the ball in his hands. Not like a Irving or Rose or even Carlos Arroyo last night.

Basically, you need ball handlers who can get past their man and kick out in Int'l ball. Or you need to be a spot up shooter who can drill those when they are kicked out. Derozen does neither of those things at an elite level.

Like I said, at least Gay can play the 4, so I get him being on the team. I think Derozen and Drummond average the fewest minutes for this team. I don't think it will mean the difference between Gold and Silver, but I would have preferred Korver because at least he has one elite skill that translates in international ball

Maybe they recognized that we are lacking a bit on defense from our bigs so they opted to have better defensive wings, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Maybe they recognized that we are lacking a bit on defense from our bigs so they opted to have better defensive wings, instead.
    For my money, Korver was the 2nd best defensive wing on the roster behind Thompson. He's a really smart team defender who understands how to rotate and moves enough laterally. Derozean maybe plays better in the open court and can create, but Korver would have been my pick.

Korver can funnel opposing players but he's not effective when asked to stop someone. DeRozan is better at that. Probably a similar reason for Lillard being left off.

Cousin's injury is what kills Korver and lilard's chance. Plumlee is like an insurance

USA roster is designed to win the last game. We have 5 bigs so we can compete against Spain in the Finals, and assume that a roster of 9 NBA starters (including a couple of All-Stars) is enough to easily beat everyone else. I love the loyalty being shown to Rose and Gay. I wish Durant and James and Love would have shown the same loyalty to their country. But, loyalty is getting much more rare these days. I hope AD learns to love the feeling that being loyal brings, so that he stays in New Orleans until he retires.

I am confident the Team USA strategy will work. They may never need Drummond or Plumlee to contribute big minutes, just like they didn't need Davis the last time around either. They are there for insurance against injuries (hope not) or foul trouble in the one game that matters. They are also being seasoned so they can be ready for a future role on the team. We can always find guards and shooters when the time comes, but the right style of big men aren't as plentiful.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I understand the need to with DeRozan over Korver. He's a more overwhelming athlete and he brings something to the table as a nominal SF that no one on the core team has in that 6'5 to 6'7 range. While with Korver you can approach his shooting with Curry, Thompson, Harden, and even Irving.

Lillard > Irving.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Banned
    Irving isn't a good defender. They will regret cutting Korver. Korver can ALWAYS shoot. You don't worry about hot and cold, especially in an international environment. Bad move IMO.

Irving has been a nice defender in FIBA. It seems like that is his primary responsibility when he has been on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Irving isn't a good defender. They will regret cutting Korver.
    X > Y
    X < Y
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Irving isn't a good defender. They will regret cutting Korver. Korver can ALWAYS shoot. You don't worry about hot and cold, especially in an international environment. Bad move IMO.
    Korver can shoot, but can't defend.

Thread Information