Pelicans Report

Thread: The New Orleans Pelicans' Most Intriguing Squadron

Draft Pick

Pelicans The New Orleans Pelicans' Most Intriguing Squadron

Got a new column up that looks at the potential feasibility of a Jrue-Tyreke-Anderson-Davis-Asik lineup:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...ba-basketball/

Very interested to hear what people think about how effective that lineup can be, seeing that it would (at the very least) put the team's five best players on the court (as things currently stand w/ Eric Gordon, anyway).

I would love to see that lineup. I think it all comes down to Monty.

If I were an opposing coach, I would love that line-up. I'd murder the Pels. The best shot blocker in the league will now be playing on the wing on d and the slowest player will now be played on the wing by a much quicker SF. Stretch forwards are good because they bring bigs out of the lane. Other teams will put their SF on Ryno and thus the bigs are still in the lane. Reke can't shoot the ball in the ocean so the clogged lane will not benefit him. I won't get into the best 5 players because that's opinion based mostly on dislike for certain players.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If I were an opposing coach, I would love that line-up. I'd murder the Pels. The best shot blocker in the league will now be playing on the wing on d and the slowest player will now be played on the wing by a much quicker SF. Stretch forwards are good because they bring bigs out of the lane. Other teams will put their SF on Ryno and thus the bigs are still in the lane. Reke can't shoot the ball in the ocean so the clogged lane will not benefit him. I won't get into the best 5 players because that's opinion based mostly on dislike for certain players.
    Agreed. Not sure what the fascination is with this lineup, especially with anectdotal evidence we have via the Spurs, Heat, Thunder, Clippers, etc. regarding spacing, shooting, etc. That lineup would get eaten up.

OAN: Contracts aside, Eric Gordon is still one of the five best basketball players in the State of LA. Let's not get ignorant.

I'm also not convinced Davis can guard wings with any consistency when those wings are able to dribble-drive and spot-up.

Utah attempted Derrick Favors, Paul Millsap, and Al Jefferson at the same time. Although our group could stretch the floor better, it did not go well for Utah. Not saying we won't see it, and I'm not saying it won't work but I'd be pessimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Agreed. Not sure what the fascination is with this lineup, especially with anectdotal evidence we have via the Spurs, Heat, Thunder, Clippers, etc. regarding spacing, shooting, etc. That lineup would get eaten up.

OAN: Contracts aside, Eric Gordon is still one of the five best basketball players in the State of LA. Let's not get ignorant.
    I didn't want to open Pandora's box, but yeah, I agree. I honestly take all the EG reporting on BSS with a grain of salt because 90% of the writers there aren't fans and it comes out in the articles no matter how they try to spin it.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 08-22-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Best line up:
    Jrue
    Gordon
    Tyreke (give him minutes at the pg position as backup as well)
    Davis
    Asik

Bench primary guys:
    Rivers
    Jimmer
    Salmons
    Anderson
    Ajinca

Secret Weapons:
    Russ Smith
    Patric Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I wanna see this lineup for 5 minutes....
    Reke OR Russ
    Jimmer
    Salmons
    Anderson
    Davis

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I wanna see this lineup for 5 minutes....
    Reke OR Russ
    Jimmer
    Salmons
    Anderson
    Davis

The other team might have a 40 pt quarter against this line-up.

I'm not married to any lineup ATM. I just hope Monty is much more experimental and much less dogmatic with his lineups, rotations and adjustments this season. It was a clear fault of his last year and every year he's been here.

I just want to see a willingness to be flexible in order to find the optimal fits going forward and to use our strengths to exploit other teams weaknesses. We have too much talent and too many matchup opportunities against different style teams to dig in with one rotation for all situations. I really don't want to see another season of Monty sticking to one rotation and playing favorites stubbornly until injury or overwhelming evidence finally forces him to switch it up.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 08-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'm not married to any lineup ATM. I just hope Monty is much more experimental and much less dogmatic with his lineups, rotations and adjustments this season. It was a clear fault of his last year and every year he's been here.

I just want to see a willingness to be flexible in order to find the optimal fits going forward and to use our strengths to exploit other teams weaknesses. We have too much talent and too many matchup opportunities against different style teams to dig in with one rotation for all situations. I really don't want to see another season of Monty sticking to one rotation and playing favorites stubbornly until injury or overwhelming evidence finally forces him to switch it up.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Utah attempted Derrick Favors, Paul Millsap, and Al Jefferson at the same time. Although our group could stretch the floor better, it did not go well for Utah. Not saying we won't see it, and I'm not saying it won't work but I'd be pessimistic.
    That group actually owned bones for the limited time they were on the floor, IIRC.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Utah attempted Derrick Favors, Paul Millsap, and Al Jefferson at the same time. Although our group could stretch the floor better, it did not go well for Utah.
    It struggled defensively, but dominated offensively, and I'd say Asik is a slight step up in rim protection from Al Jefferson.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jazz bigs.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	5715

Draft Pick
    I didn't want to open Pandora's box, but yeah, I agree. I honestly take all the EG reporting on BSS with a grain of salt because 90% of the writers there aren't fans and it comes out in the articles no matter how they try to spin it.
    I don't know what this even means. I like Eric Gordon for what he can do offensively, but last season his horrible defense outweighed anything he did offensively. This statistic speaks volumes about that:

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/2

There's also the fact that the Pelicans got outscored by 6.2 points per 100 possessions with Gordon on the court, and they actually outscored opponents by 1.5 points when he wasn't playing. Gordon was just not good last season. I firmly believe he can be much better this year, but based on just last season, he hurt the team more than he helped it.

Don't you mean 1,000,000%? Don't you mean they want to relocate the team to Seattle, along with actual Jazz, Community Coffee, and Mr. Bingle?

Why not make up stuff that is actually worth making up? Sheesh!

Here's mine: 1,234,567,890% of UptownFuz504 comments are awesome!

See, a complete farce.

I'm not sure about the 3 big line up, yes there's the possibility of getting wasted my smaller lineups, but Anderson and Davis aren't your typical bigs, and Asik is an awesome defensive big. I think you hope that they make it incredibly hard to score on and work out a system that makes the offense reasonable, not Indiana bad. The plus side to it is that we'll probably have at least one decent mis-match on offense if they decide to go small, so here's hoping they exploit those opportunities
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Take out Evans and put in Rivers or Salmons so you only have one non shooter (Asik) and I like that lineup better. Also, Salmons and Rivers are better off ball defenders.

Holiday-Rivers-Ryno-AD-Asik still has plenty of firepower, two ball handlers, and can be a really nice defensive unit. I don't mind putting Ryno on the SF actually if you have AD and Asik on the floor. Play Ryno tight on him and even if the SF blows by him, he is gonna meet AD and Asik at the rim. Good luck with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

This is the valid part of the "fire monty" thread all summed up in one post. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    This is the valid part of the "fire monty" thread all summed up in one post. Good job.
    Monty changes lineups and rotations all the time. Especially starting around All-Star break.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Monty changes lineups and rotations all the time. Especially starting around All-Star break.
    Is that the basketball All-Star break or the baseball All-Star break?

jk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    But its not fun to talk about that. More fun to bash based on generalities and no hard evidence.

I mean, Tyreke started at 2 and 3, plus came off the bench. We started AD at Center in games, Stiemsma, Smith, and Ajinca. Roberts and Rivers alternated as the backup PG before Jrue got hurt, etc. etc.

But Monty never mixed things up. Rotations stayed the same throughout.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I love how people I come across don't even respect what kind of team we have. From the 1 to the 5 we probably have, when healthy, potentially one of the most deadliest starting fives in the league. Right now the only thing that's keeping this team from being great is that they haven't played together for a long stretch. It don't matter what starting group we put out there. As long as they learn to play both ends of the floor we will be a playoff team guaranteed. Because in this league talent is what wins games. And we have 6 legit starters, and one of those is one of the best players in the league. This season can't come fast enough. Pels gon prove a lot of people wrong.

In my opinion, pelican's biggest advantage is the luxury of having either Davis or Asik on the court for 48 minutes. Playing Asik, Davis, Anderson at the same time undermines the benefit. Frontcourt of asik and davis might not be good offensively, but pelicans are able to deploy Davis and Anderson against opposing bench units

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    i think while trying to piece together these lineups, it shows this team is not finished and well see one more big trade
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Thread Information