Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Starting 5

The Starting 5

According to Bleacher report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...season/page/20) , the starting 5 will be like this;

Point Guard: Jrue Holiday

Shooting Guard: Eric Gordon

Small Forward: Tyreke Evans

Power Forward: Ryan Anderson

Center: Anthony Davis

Most Important Bench Player: Omer Asik

But we know, AD is not center, he is true PF and Ryan Anderson is not a traditional PF.

Also, Williams vs. Evans very questionable.

Therefore this line up is wrong for me.

What about your opinions?

The first four words of your post says all you need to know about the rest of it. JMO

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We really have a 6 man "starters." And it'll change with the matchup. A post dominant team like the Grizzlies, Hornets (weird to consider that an opponent) or whoever will probably start Asik and keep him out there a while. Ryno will be off the bench before the end of the 1st quarter anyway after we set a strong defensive tone, then wanna ratchet up the offense.

But don't think for a second we won't rock a Jrue, Reke/Gordon, Davis, Anderson, Asik lineup for long stretches. Asik gives us nice options. Can put Anderson on another team's 3 and force them to drive by him and into the teeth of the Rubberband Man Asik and Destroy tandem.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Well......then bleacher report is dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    The first four words of your post says all you need to know about the rest of it. JMO
    This... and all i care about is that Jrue, Reke, and Gordon need to get out and run and need to watch some Run TMC tapes imo. I think we should be a team that can run most teams out of the gym. Plus, we should at the same time have the ability to play good defense in the halfcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by sibiryali View Post
    According to Bleacher report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...season/page/20) , the starting 5 will be like this;

Point Guard: Jrue Holiday

Shooting Guard: Eric Gordon

Small Forward: Tyreke Evans

Power Forward: Ryan Anderson

Center: Anthony Davis

Most Important Bench Player: Omer Asik

But we know, AD is not center, he is true PF and Ryan Anderson is not a traditional PF.

Therefore this line up is wrong for me.

What about your opinions?
    I would like to think that positions 1-3 are correct. I don't see how AD and Asik don't start together however, with Ryno coming off the bench. If you consider the starting lineup to be the finishing lineup however, then I concur with their prediction since I believe this group will be the finishing lineup except for those small amount of teams that could abuse the Ryno-AD pairing in the post. In that scenario, you roll with the starting lineup (in the traditional sense of the word), namely Ryno being replaced by Asik.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    Lol \thread

lol asik will undoubtably start

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I believe this group will be the finishing lineup
    Exactly true, and lack of Asik FT percentage

In making lineups, my priorities would be to:
    -Maximize minutes for our best 6 players
    -Maximize the amount of time that Tyreke Evans plays with Ryan Anderson, and accordingly, minimize the amount of time he plays with Asik. I can't prove it because Tyreke and Ryan were never fully healthy at the same time, but I think there's an unbelievable amount of synergy between these two guys. Tyreke isn't a great passer out of the pick and roll, but the pass back to the wing on the pick and pop is much easier. Nobody's leaving Ryan, which effectively eliminates one of two possible help defenders, and Tyreke doesn't really need an effective screen to get to the rim. We also know that Tyreke is worse when he lays with offensively challenged centers. A second 'unit' based on these guys should score a ton of points.
    -Tyreke (especially), Jrue, and Eric are all players who are more effective with the ball. As a result, I would try to minimize the amount that all 3 are on the floor together. At the end of halves are when I'd use this lineup, ideally in multiple pick and rolls.
    -I don't think we should play 3 big lineups. I can't remember those working for anyone, and I think both Anderson and Davis would be worse offensively if defended by larger opposing small forwards.
    -I think 9 man rotation is the largest I'd like to use barring blowouts. But I'd be willing to hear counter-arguments. I think all of the minute totals are very reasonable.

I think we should shoot for something like this:
    Starters: Asik, Davis, Salmons, Gordon, Jrue
    0:600 1st: Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Rivers, Jrue
    0:200 1st: Asik, Anderson, Tyreke, Gordon, Rivers
    10:00 2nd: Asik, Davis, Miller, Gordon, Jrue
    06:00 2nd: Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Rivers, Jrue
    02:00 2nd: Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Gordon, Jrue
    Start 3rd: Asik, Davis, Salmons, Gordon, Jrue
    0:800 3rd: Davis, Anderson, Salmons, Tyreke, Jrue
    0:400 3rd: Asik, Anderson, Miller, Tyreke, Rivers
    Start 4th: Asik, Anderson, Salmons, Gordon, Rivers
    09:00 4th: Asik, Davis, Tyreke, Rivers, Jrue
    0:600 4th Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Gordon, Jrue

Asik: 28 minutes
    Davis: 37 minutes
    Anderson: 31 minutes
    Salmons: 17 minutes
    Tyreke: 31 minutes
    Miller: 8 minutes (could easily be Babbit)
    Gordon: 31 minutes
    Rivers: 19 minutes
    Jrue: 37 minutes

Thoughts? I'm also somehow missing a minute somewhere when I added up the totals.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    lol asik will undoubtably start
    Without a shadow of a doubt.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    1- Jrue
    2- Gordon
    4- Davis
    5- Asik

The only question is whether or not Tyreke comes off the bench.

If we didn't start Ryno over Steamer, we're not going to start him over Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    1- Jrue
    2- Gordon
    4- Davis
    5- Asik

The only question is whether or not Tyreke comes off the bench.
    Tyreke will play the 3, but will probably be used as a point forward which will allow Jrue to score more, rather than set guys up all the time. Gordon will be more of a floor spacer. ....IMO. ..

Quote Originally Posted by sibiryali View Post
    Disagreed, sir.
    Who?

Biasvasospasm is spot on as always.
    Except I think Gordon is okay off ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    But don't think for a second we won't rock a Jrue, Reke/Gordon, Davis, Anderson, Asik lineup for long stretches. Asik gives us nice options. Can put Anderson on another team's 3 and force them to drive by him and into the teeth of the Rubberband Man Asik and Destroy tandem.
    Funny you should say that...

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...ba-basketball/

asik will start, and thats that really...

the writer probably based this on last season roockets. but it won't happen
    1. Demp and Monty really want Asik, they will commit to make it work.
    2. AD has range, so the paint won't be packed

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    -Maximize minutes for our best 6 players
    -Maximize the amount of time that Tyreke Evans plays with Ryan Anderson, and accordingly, minimize the amount of time he plays with Asik. I can't prove it because Tyreke and Ryan were never fully healthy at the same time, but I think there's an unbelievable amount of synergy between these two guys. Tyreke isn't a great passer out of the pick and roll, but the pass back to the wing on the pick and pop is much easier. Nobody's leaving Ryan, which effectively eliminates one of two possible help defenders, and Tyreke doesn't really need an effective screen to get to the rim. We also know that Tyreke is worse when he lays with offensively challenged centers. A second 'unit' based on these guys should score a ton of points.
    -Tyreke (especially), Jrue, and Eric are all players who are more effective with the ball. As a result, I would try to minimize the amount that all 3 are on the floor together. At the end of halves are when I'd use this lineup, ideally in multiple pick and rolls.
    -I don't think we should play 3 big lineups. I can't remember those working for anyone, and I think both Anderson and Davis would be worse offensively if defended by larger opposing small forwards.
    -I think 9 man rotation is the largest I'd like to use barring blowouts. But I'd be willing to hear counter-arguments. I think all of the minute totals are very reasonable.

I think we should shoot for something like this:
    Starters: Asik, Davis, Salmons, Gordon, Jrue
    0:600 1st: Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Rivers, Jrue
    0:200 1st: Asik, Anderson, Tyreke, Gordon, Rivers
    10:00 2nd: Asik, Davis, Miller, Gordon, Jrue
    06:00 2nd: Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Rivers, Jrue
    02:00 2nd: Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Gordon, Jrue
    Start 3rd: Asik, Davis, Salmons, Gordon, Jrue
    0:800 3rd: Davis, Anderson, Salmons, Tyreke, Jrue
    0:400 3rd: Asik, Anderson, Miller, Tyreke, Rivers
    Start 4th: Asik, Anderson, Salmons, Gordon, Rivers
    09:00 4th: Asik, Davis, Tyreke, Rivers, Jrue
    0:600 4th Davis, Anderson, Tyreke, Gordon, Jrue

Asik: 28 minutes
    Davis: 37 minutes
    Anderson: 31 minutes
    Salmons: 17 minutes
    Tyreke: 31 minutes
    Miller: 8 minutes (could easily be Babbit)
    Gordon: 31 minutes
    Rivers: 19 minutes
    Jrue: 37 minutes

Thoughts? I'm also somehow missing a minute somewhere when I added up the totals.
    You sir know what you are talking about here. I've been thinking this for a while and said it a few weeks back. Salmons is our starting small forward but he will get very limited minutes. Probably less than you have there because I think Monty will put Jimmer in a 3 guard lineup at times with Reke at the 3. So Salmons minutes can go from 17 to 12 quick and give Jimmer 5 of those minutes. Other than that we accomplish so much with the rotation that you mentioned. It's almost exactly what I think we will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post

Excellent post. I was going to reply to the OP but you've saved me the trouble.

The real question to me is whether we'll actually see this much logic in Monty's rotations.

From birdwrites.com; (http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2014/7/...n-a-projection)

•Anthony Davis - 39 Minutes (21 at PF, 18 at "C")
    •Jrue Holiday - 36 Minutes
    •Tyreke Evans - 30 Minutes (18 at SF, 12 at SG)
    •Eric Gordon - 30 Minutes
    •Omer Asik - 30 Minutes
    •Ryan Anderson - 27 Minutes
    •John Salmons - 18 Minutes
    •Austin Rivers - 18 Minutes (12 at SG, 6 at PG)
    •Darius Miller - 12 Minutes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotation_01_medium.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	5716  

Lol, what a projection. Asik is a top-3 defensive center, will start. He and AD will form the most formidable frontcourt in the league.

Projecting New Orleans's Depth Chart, 2014 Training Camp Edition, By Josh Martin , NBA Lead Writer
    Sep 19, 2014

PG: Jrue Holiday, Jimmer Fredette, Russ Smith

SG: Eric Gordon, Austin Rivers, Dionte Christmas

SF: Tyreke Evans, John Salmons, Darius Miller, Luke Babbitt

PF: Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson, Patric Young, Kevin Jones

C: Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, Jeff Withey, Vernon Macklin

Key Additions: Omer Asik, John Salmons, Jimmer Fredette

The trade that sent Robin Lopez to Portland subsequently made clear the New Orleans Pelicans' need to pair Davis, a tremendous defensive presence in his own right, with a capable center in order to concoct a competent defense. Enter Asik, who's emerged as one of the league's best positional defenders in the middle.

Salmons and Fredette should add much-needed doses of scoring and shooting, respectively, to New Orleans' second unit. If nothing else, they figure to relieve Rivers of the need to play like a former top-10 pick.

Position to Watch: Power forward

The Pelicans will only go as far as Davis takes them, which, given his tremendous year-over-year improvement to this point, should be a considerable distance.

Still, Davis is but one piece in an intriguing puzzle, one that also features Asik and Anderson up front. The challenge for head coach Monty Williams will be figuring out how best to juggle those three from minute to minute and game to game.

Should he lean on the offensive firepower of the Davis-Anderson pairing, which sacrifices plenty on the defensive end? Can Davis space the floor well enough to keep the floor from clogging when Asik's out there? How well will Asik and Anderson mesh?

More importantly, can any of these guys stay healthy long enough to make an impact as a unit?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...dition/page/20

I just hope monty plays the matchups, start tyreke at the 3 vs athletic small forwards and ryno vs people like delfino and so on

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I just hope monty plays the matchups, start tyreke at the 3 vs athletic small forwards and ryno vs people like delfino and so on
    So awesome to read this. That teams looks so much better than in recent years.

Thread Information