Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Omer Asik in FIBA World Cup

Love his motor, commitment to P & R and basketball IQ. He gets into his sets quick, moves constantly and is a better passer than expected. Gasol schooled him but he did not back down or get discouraged. He drew fouls and hustled. His FT form looked better than expected. Really impressed with his outlet passing. Nice hook shot. Did not always position well on d rebounds which detracted from overall performance. Does not elevate well but standing height good. Will play better with better teammates. Not always great on team D. Does not keep hands up on D enough. Did I mention great outlet passer? (Will lead to fast break opportunities) Works hard. Conserves energy. Can play extended minutes. Smart. Can't finish at high rate. Good Team mate. Does not use body to block out consistently. Good inside passer. Willing and able to help when guards penetrate into paint. Will benefit from NBA quality guards on P & R. Should have decent amount of uncontested dunks off P & R. Free throw hitch when tired. Leader of Turkish team. Perfect for Monty's system. Uses baseline well. Know's his role. Lives in Paint. Runs to basket in half court. Doesn't foul a lot. Better than expected wingspan. Sometimes gives up easy basket to avoid foul. Does not argue bad calls. Less than dominant Offensive rebounder. Overall fun player to watch due to his intensity. Biggest negative is ability to finish at rim and inability to consistently block out on rebounds. Positive is great P & R effort and outlet passing.

Best NBA center in NOLA since Rich Kelly(underrated)
    Projection: 12 pts/game. 9 RBG. 4 assists/game. (Surprising)
    How do they know where to shoot FT's from with that huge ad on the court?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by odine View Post
    full game Turkey vs spain. You should watch this because Asik has to match up with Marc Gasol most of time. You can see how good he is in forcing Gasol to make tough passes. On offense, you can see asik's botched lay up, missed dunk and blocked hook shoot,then again Gasol is a former defensive player of the year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJEwFTP1Ac
    Thanks for the heads up. Enjoyed watching the game. Please keep us posted.

Just what I thought he was, tremendous defender, rebounder, mediocre offensive player, which is all we need.

I truly believe a defense with a healthy Jrue, AD and Asik can be tops in the league. All 3 of them are top 3 defensively at their position IMO.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Wow, it's great to see Asik in action. Can you imagine him next to Davis? I he clicks with Jrue I think we'll see a lot of wins. Definitely agree with HornetGuru that with Davis, Asik, and Jrue healthy we will have a strong defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was expected to play alongside Enes Kanter who eventually did not join the NT following a series of confusing reports. Without Enes Turkish NT can't do much really but Asik is a rock solid machine, he will bring his A game no matter what.

Turkey - New Zealand | Starting in few minutes
    You can watch it from: http://www.ntvspor.net/canliyayin

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Asik has only logged 10 minutes?

Yes.

New Zealand has centers can shoot 3, thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Asik has only logged 10 minutes?

Foul trouble I heard

Yeap. Took two as soon as he came in.

BTW monty williams was at this game.

looked very poor from all reports. their back-up center came in and went on a tear. Not like Omer's game was great for this game against a team who just shoot threes.

He is not in his best shape of his career. But that game, he was very effective in under the rim protection. But the rest of the team did not even box out and rebound when Aşık went for shot contests so points were given away from offensive rebounds.

Today, USA vs Turkey. AD vs. Asik. It will be very hard game for Turkey. Absence of Enes Kanter, Ersan Ilyasova, Hedo Turkoglu is problem.

I only watched the second half. If it wasn't because of his stone hands, Asik would completely own Davis in the third quarter. i counted 2 missed catches, 2 blown dunks and 3 missed fts. an offensive foul that forced asik to sit pretty much changed the tide of the game.
    in fourth quarter, asik can't do anything when his teammates kept giving USA's guards wide open 3. I couldn't tell how he was offensively due to the bad stream.
    I must say Pelicans was right to grab to make AD a 4. guys like M. Gasol, D. Howard will not miss dunks easily

Asik was great in the 1st half, poor/disjointed in the 2nd. Inverse of AD.

I was impressed.

Great D by Asik today. And those picks.

Asik looked monsterous in the first half. Completely shutting down around the rim and grabbing boards.

Then it seemed like turkey tried to play offensively through him too much and he looked awful doing that. Then got into foul trouble in the second.

Awful ft shooter. Never realized how bad he was. But seeing Asik's rim protection, rebounding and physicality has me excited for the season.

Asik currently has 10pts/13 rebs in just 11:57 at half time against Ukraine.

6-8 fts.

http://www.fiba.com/ls/#6241&BKM400C09

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Asik looked monsterous in the first half. Completely shutting down around the rim and grabbing boards.

Then it seemed like turkey tried to play offensively through him too much and he looked awful doing that. Then got into foul trouble in the second.

Awful ft shooter. Never realized how bad he was. But seeing Asik's rim protection, rebounding and physicality has me excited for the season.
    Actually he can make his ft's when the game is close, shooting with different mentality, check 2013 Playoffs first round vs Oklohoma and see how Omer destroys Okc's hack-a-omer

Asik demonstrates some dominance against the Ukranian team right now. Rest of Turkey doesn't even box out.

Asik beasting. 14 points and 16 rebounds after 3 Quarters

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Asik with 14 pts 16 boards with 8:30 left in game.

DANG!!!

Thread Information