Pelicans Report

Thread: The Pels without Tom Benson? What would happen?

Pelicans The Pels without Tom Benson? What would happen?

I wanted to know you guys (and gals ) thoughts. We know that Benson is 87 yrs old now. He recently was taken to the hospital during the Saints training camp. This is his second time in the row. Now rest assured he was release soon after only having a little dehydration and shortness of breath and he received oxygen (and maybe fluids) and was outta there A OK. But he is getting old.

How do you think the Pels will change as far as the amount of money at our disposal and having ownership that wants to "win now/soon" without Tom Benson if old age catches up to him (God forbid)?

Link to article on Benson hospital visit: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...p-returns-home

Not much to be honest. He seems pretty hands off and just cutting the checks. I would imagine Rita would take over ownership and she seems like she would trust the brain trust in place. We may have been better off long time term had Benson not rushed the rebuild.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 08-06-2014 at 04:03 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Of course everything gets turned into us rushing the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Of course everything gets turned into us rushing the rebuild.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    the amount of wins may change in a positive direction (although that applies more to the saints)
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

I end up hitting cancel on most of my post responding to some of the stupidity around here.

probably his wife Gail would take over she was the one who talked him into buying the team because she loves basketball.

I would imagine they have a plan in place. Im sure it was discussed when Benson bought the team anticipating it would be an issue in the not too distant future. I personally hope both teams are run by a bunch of people they trust.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I end up hitting cancel on most of my post responding to some of the stupidity around here.
    Yep. Throwing around for the 104874th time that Benson rushed the rebuild in a thread where someone asked what would happen if Benson is no longer here is exactly that stupidity you mentioned. At least we agree

I say let's rename this thread The Pels without Eric Gordon. What would happen? Then after that we can have a Pels without Rivers thread. Over/Under on number of pages? I say 50 each
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

This has been discussed in numerous places. There is a plan in place for when Mr. Benson passes away but they have been pretty tightlipped about it. From what was reported in the TP, the Benson's children will split the shares. Dennis Lauchia will also have a major role.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Yep. Throwing around for the 104874th time that Benson rushed the rebuild in a thread where someone asked what would happen if Benson is no longer here is exactly that stupidity you mentioned. At least we agree
    100% THIS
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not much to be honest. He seems pretty hands off and just cutting the checks. I would imagine Rita would take over ownership and she seems like she would trust the brain trust in place. We may have been better off long time term had Benson not rushed the rebuild.
    I'd say we're in good shape sans gordon

Quote Originally Posted by cki3915 View Post
    This has been discussed in numerous places. There is a plan in place for when Mr. Benson passes away but they have been pretty tightlipped about it. From what was reported in the TP, the Benson's children will split the shares. Dennis Lauchia will also have a major role.
    Thanks for this info. I don't think it's ever been discussed in the pelicans forums just the saints forums which the team entities may be treated differently based on investment priority. Do we know that the team will stay in New Orleans no doubt? I think I vaguely remember something when Benson purchased the team that there was a clause in there that basically says there is no way in hell we can be relocated or sold until 202X (some year far ahead).

Just found this article:
    "Succession plan in place for New Orleans Saints and Pelicans to remain with Tom Benson's family"

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...umn_do_no.html

Thread Information