Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: With PG out for the year would it be possible that the PELS send Gordon to PACERS?

If we called them and offered Gordon for Paul George, I'm pretty sure Larry Bird would never talk to Dell again or even set foot in the state of Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Doesn't matter what you think of George. Only matters what Indy's management thinks of him so saying that you think Indy would make that move because you feel a certain way about Paul makes no sense. And if Paul coming back 100% isn't a guarantee, why would we trade for him when he would still have four years on a max deal remaining? And even if he does come back at 100%, you would want to have a player you consider sub elite getting elite money? A lot of contradictions in this post.
    I was simply having a discussion. People can feel differently. That's ok. I posted something just wanting to DISCUSS it. Trying to pick apart my post is kinda a waste of time. Either you can add actual value to the discuss by saying you don't agree because you like Gordon or don't agree because the Pacer's wouldn't see that as value.

But just trying to say my point had contradictions doesn't really add do the discussion.

I was spit balling an idea of Reke and Gordon for possibly PG and Hill. I don't even know if the numbers would match. But if the Pacers are in win now, that's a sold back court for them. It allows them to be rid of Hill's contract and maybe they don't want to wait or see value in moving PG now. For us it's a risk but it gives us a SOLID defensive SF that I still think is an All-Star. Depending on how he comes back.

Is it worth the risk? Would the FO do it? I dunno. But this is just a discussion forum. Some of you guys take these trade posts WAY too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw View Post
    why the hell everyone is too giddy about shipping gordon? is he hurting us that much? last i check he's contract is not coming out of any of the fans' pockets nor is he being a locker room cancer. that fat contract isn't even stopping us from scoring free agents, coz guess what ... none of the big names are coming. so long as we're in good shape to keep AD once he's ready for his millions, i dont mind gordon in the team. gordon was signed the deal because the FO knew that the numbers worked, im not about to second guess the wisdom of their decisions.
    This seed was planted and won't stop growing until he's gone. I tend to agree with you but we are in the minority. Obviously, with Gordon gone, Rivers will finally be awesome and we'll be able to get all those FA's that we covet.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

What if the Pacers decide to go all 1997 Spurs here and just tank for 1 season? I think that may be the sneaky best play they can make. Just tank this year, get an impact rookie at the top of the draft (although there obviously does not appear to be any Duncan's in this draft) and go right back to competing for championships once George gets healthy again.

Another interesting and completely unlikely scenario that I though of was a Philly Indy trade if the Pacers decide they just want to blow it up. The 76ers have all kinds of young assets and the cap room to absorb some of George's contract. They could still tank this year and get another high pick but then be a definite playoff contender immediately once they get Embiid and George back.

Of course there's about a 0 percent chance either one happens but I thought both of them might be interesting to bring up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    What if the Pacers decide to go all 1997 Spurs here and just tank for 1 season? I think that may be the sneaky best play they can make. Just tank this year, get an impact rookie at the top of the draft (although there obviously does not appear to be any Duncan's in this draft) and go right back to competing for championships once George gets healthy again.

Another interesting and completely unlikely scenario that I though of was a Philly Indy trade if the Pacers decide they just want to blow it up. The 76ers have all kinds of young assets and the cap room to absorb some of George's contract. They could still tank this year and get another high pick but then be a definite playoff contender immediately once they get Embiid and George back.

Of course there's about a 0 percent chance either one happens but I thought both of them might be interesting to bring up.
    Actually, i think there is a higher percentage of a chance they tank than not. Only reason they even competed in the playoffs last year is because of Paul George. I'd be willing to bet even many of their fans are for tanking.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Oh look another Gordon to Indy thread.

The poor thing is enjoying his time in NOLA, and he's not even playing badly. But, everybody still wants his head on a stick. Just let it go people. He's not going anywhere.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Just a discussion. If you have nothing to add then yeah, you should move on.
    Ok discussion:

Let's say AD compound fractures his leg next team USA game. Do you think the Celtics could swoop in and grab him with Gerald Wallace and maybe Jared Sullinger (if they have to)?

I was trying not to be too rude but what you're saying is ridiculous. Paul George is expected to make a complete recovery and Gordon has negative value. Sorry.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 08-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    If AD compound fractured his leg next team USA game do you think the Celtics could swoop in and grab him with Gerald Wallace and maybe Jared Sullinger?

I was trying not to be too rude but what you're saying is ridiculous.
    I don't think PG is on the same level as AD. Nor is this team in the same situation as the Pacers. Nor is Gordon and Reke the same value as Wallace and sullinger. Basically we see it completely different which is fine. But I'm finding a ton of people are very hostile on the forum right now when all we are trying to do is have a discussion.

You are free to pass up any discussion if you think it's not worth your time or if you can't take it seriously enough to care to present a valid conversation.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I don't think PG is on the same level as AD. Nor is this team in the same situation as the Pacers. Nor is Gordon and Reke the same value as Wallace and sullinger. Basically we see it completely different which is fine. But I'm finding a ton of people are very hostile on the forum right now when all we are trying to do is have a discussion.

You are free to pass up any discussion if you think it's not worth your time or if you can't take it seriously enough to care to present a valid conversation.
    Well Paul George was the best player on a team that was #1 in their conference. But fair enough. While I apologize that we came off as hostile I'll just say I'm not the one that got offended. So suggesting I pass up on discussions is odd. I will try to be more respecting of your different opinions but at the same time if you say something so off putting, almost homeristic, be prepared for a bit of feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Well Paul George was the best player on a team that was #1 in their conference. But fair enough. While I apologize that we came off as hostile I'll just say I'm not the one that got offended. So suggesting I pass up on discussions is odd. I will try to be more respecting of your different opinions but at the same time if you say something so off putting, almost homeristic, be prepared for a bit of feedback.
    Like I said it was a spitball idea and one I was just throwing out there. It was never meant to be a thorough evaluation of exactly what a trade would be. Just something to foster discussion from the standpoint of IF the Pacers wanted to move on or possibly blow it up.

And heck, taking back George Hill is a horrible contract. He still has 3 guaranteed years left at over 8m/yr. Maybe they would see Gordon as a possibly expiring this year and at the worst it comes off the books a year earlier. What do they lack the most right now? Scoring. And Gordon can give them at. Also when you consider Reke on a 3 year decreasing contract after the contracts given out this summer, that's a steal for them.

You might not agree, and who knows if the team does, but it's not like I said, "Give us PG and you can have Rivers and Jimmer". Swapping bad contracts where they get one that ends sooner and provides Much needed scoring while getting Reke on his contract for a guy who just broke his leg isn't some super Homer suggestion. Its possibly in our favor but like I said originally "Strike while his value is low". We have no idea what the Pacers are thinking, that was what was suppose to be fun about the discussion. However some people suck all of the fun out by just trying to poo on one another because of some imaginary perceived slight.

At the end of the day I WANT to be a homer for this team sometimes. We've had horrible injury luck and I'd love for something to break our way now after this past season. But w/e. Most of the regulars are gone for now and I think for good reason. Maybe I'll do the same until the season.

So prior to PG breaking his leg...you think AD is better?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

And what would we get back to help us win?

And who do we get back that will help this team make the playoffs this year? Who are we getting back that will help Monty and Dell get to the playoffs and relieve the pressure on them to win this year?? How will this make the team better this year?? wow, this never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think the pacers are getting more cap space. Would love to move Gordon but I know I'm just dreaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen to a voice of reason on the forum, i didn't think any level headed people existed on here.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Oh look another Gordon to Indy thread.

The poor thing is enjoying his time in NOLA, and he's not even playing badly. But, everybody still wants his head on a stick. Just let it go people. He's not going anywhere.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    The only reason this stuff ever comes up is because that's where he's from and it's assumed he would want to play there. Let's be realistic, who do they have that makes us a better team?

No one, but most people on here are either not intelligent to figure that out, or don't care if it makes us better because they just want Gordon gone. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    The only reason this stuff ever comes up is because that's where he's from and it's assumed he would want to play there. Let's be realistic, who do they have that makes us a better team?

If we trade Gordon whether it be to Indy, Orlando, Phoenix, or any other team and get nothing back but cap space we will not make the playoffs this year but I guess that's what some people here want to do. Cap Space has 0ppg 0apg 0rpg but apparently we want to give Cap Space Gordon minutes.

And for the people adamant about keeping Eric its still the same story as well. You keep talking about potential going on for years now. When are we going to see it? I dont even know why this is even a conversation and both sides arent backing away from where they stand. Eric is not going to make or break our playoff hopes and if we are dependent on him then we have issues. I just cant for the life of me cant remember any other player thats been unreliable like he has and had people defending him to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    And for the people adamant about keeping Eric its still the same story as well. You keep talking about potential going on for years now. When are we going to see it? I dont even know why this is even a conversation and both sides arent backing away from where they stand. Eric is not going to make or break our playoff hopes and if we are dependent on him then we have issues. I just cant for the life of me cant remember any other player thats been unreliable like he has and had people defending him to the death.
    Austin Rivers

It's not about potential. It's about making the team better. There is absolutely no doubt that if there was a trade that would make the team better it would have been made. Absolutely no doubt Dell pulls the trigger if it improves the team. That possibility does not exist. So everyone needs to stop wining and hope he plays up to his full health capabilities. His play is far from unreliable, its just his health which is beyond his control. And if you think his health is not beyond his control then start bashing Ryan Anderson because his health record is not much different.

If you trade him and do not get quality back and you are dependent upon Austin Rivers to fill those minutes well then he is making or breaking our playoffs chances. Austin is terrible, can't fill Eric Gordon's minutes. Can't do it. So unless there is a trade for an equal or better player he stays. And that is pretty obvious because he is still here.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post

Fair enough. I can agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I agree. Absolutely no one. For those who want EG gone need to realize he isn't going anywhere .Just hope he stays health and help us make the playoffs.

People see Gordon's past production when healthy and skill set, and assume he makes a team better than a guy with a lesser skill set (offensively) and past production, but are we sure that is true with THIS SPECIFIC TEAM? You take Gordon away and the shots he takes goes to Tyreke, Jrue, AD, and Ryno. It is not about Austin vs. Gordon in that scenario. You take away the 12-14 shots he would take and maybe you give 5-6 to his replacement- let's say Austin. The other 6-9 shots go to the big dogs.

The team, in that scenario, is as efficient or more efficient. And it gets better defense from Austin. Is this just conjecture or do I have evidence?

Well, the offensive rating was 108.4 without Gordon last year, and 106.4 with Gordon on the court. Advantage - Pels without Gordon.

Defensive rating was 106.7 without Gordon, 112.8 with Gordon on the court. Advantage - Pels without Gordon.

The Pels were + 1.7 without Gordon on the floor last year and -6.2 with him on the court. A staggering 7.9 point difference.

Numbers aren't everything, but you have to at least look at those and wonder if there is some truth to addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Above the Rim View Post
    People see Gordon's past production when healthy and skill set, and assume he makes a team better than a guy with a lesser skill set (offensively) and past production, but are we sure that is true with THIS SPECIFIC TEAM? You take Gordon away and the shots he takes goes to Tyreke, Jrue, AD, and Ryno. It is not about Austin vs. Gordon in that scenario. You take away the 12-14 shots he would take and maybe you give 5-6 to his replacement- let's say Austin. The other 6-9 shots go to the big dogs.

The team, in that scenario, is as efficient or more efficient. And it gets better defense from Austin. Is this just conjecture or do I have evidence?

Well, the offensive rating was 108.4 without Gordon last year, and 106.4 with Gordon on the court. Advantage - Pels without Gordon.

Defensive rating was 106.7 without Gordon, 112.8 with Gordon on the court. Advantage - Pels without Gordon.

The Pels were + 1.7 without Gordon on the floor last year and -6.2 with him on the court. A staggering 7.9 point difference.

Numbers aren't everything, but you have to at least look at those and wonder if there is some truth to addition by subtraction.

I think the actions of the organization can tell you alot. They really made no attempt to bring in a SF. Why, because they know the majority of the SF minutes are going to Tyreke, which means they are very comfortable with who is getting the minutes at SG.

Those number are absolutely meaningless. Austin is on the court mostly against garbage players. Gordon plays against the other teams best! We had a losing team, so negative numbers on the court or the norm.

There is no truth at all, and that is why Dell has not been foolish and pulled the trigger on a dumb trade that most on here would like to see happen. Thank God Dell is smarter than that! And ill say it again, Austin is terrible.

You can make numbers look any way you want them too. Meaningless! Dell knows better. If he agreed with this analysis, he would give Gordon away for peanuts. He didn't!

Thread Information