Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harden Speaks On Asik's Defense

Harden Speaks On Asik's Defense

Omer Asik - C - Pelicans

James Harden spoke highly of Omer Asik in a recent interview, specifically citing his defense.
    "He brings a defensive effort. He’s going to do everything right on defense," said Harden. "He’s going to be a leader out there. All he wants to do is win. When you get a guy like that on your team, that’s always great. The Pelicans got a tremendous player in Omer." Omer should have a nice season as the starting center in New Orleans. He won't give you very much scoring, but he's a rebounding dynamo and should provide decent late-round value.
    Source: NBA.com
    Aug 1 - 2:34 PM
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1533/omer-asik
    SIGN A SF

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'm loving all of these Asik threads.

EDIT: Don't want to think I'm being sarcastic. I'm loving all of these quotes and articles we are seeing about how much Asik is underrated or how much he will help us.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-01-2014 at 02:49 PM.

When Harden speaks well about someone, you know it's gotta be true.

Hitler speaks on love and acceptance.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Love this.

Yeah, when you want to know if a guy is truly good on defense, you have to go to the expert.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Cool and kinda odd that he'd call all his teammates roleplayers (aside from Dwight) and then compliment a traded player.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Yeah, when you want to know if a guy is truly good on defense, you have to go to the expert.
    Well considering Harden only 'looks' on defense he had plenty of chances to observe all the hard work Asik puts in on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Cool and kinda odd that he'd call all his teammates roleplayers (aside from Dwight) and then compliment a traded player.
    If anything it's damage control more than genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    hahhah

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    did you know hitler was Time magazine man of the year?
    did you know the nazi party was funded by Prescott bush (george bush's father) via union banking?
    did you know germany was attacked not for killing jews but for creating its own currency?
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    did you know the nazi party was funded by Prescott bush (george bush's father) via union banking?
    did you know germany was attacked not for killing jews but for creating its own currency?
    "Only the victory gets to say how history is written."

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    tru dat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Well considering Harden only 'looks' on defense he had plenty of chances to observe all the hard work Asik puts in on that side of the ball.
    Yep, a Harden endorsement on defense...while nice, might not carry a lot of weight.

I despise Harden and everything he stands for

Even talking up one of our players

That defensive juggernaut James Harden lol

Hi Everyone!
    Here is the latest Omer Asik interview to the Turkish media.
    /Being new to the board, I thought it would be a good idea not to jumpstart with a new thread, so I'm posting it here/

Q: Before coming to New Orleans Pelicans, you played for Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets. Regarding your career, which team contributed more?

Omer: When I started playing for Chicago, I was coming off the bench. I was getting 10-15 minutes and was trying my best. But regarding my career, being in starting five in my first year in Houston was very beneficial for my career. Because of more minutes, I got a chance to develop and to play better. But last year, with the arrival of Dwight, my minutes diminished. At the end of the season I thought it would be better for my career to play for a team where I can get more minutes.

Q: How much of an impact had Howard’s arrival on your decision to leave Houston?

Omer: It was the biggest factor. All in all, in my opinion, at the moment Dwight Howard is the best center in the world. Naturally, it's not easy to play the same position. There were periods when we played together, but nowadays in basketball it’s very difficult for two bigs to play together. Naturally, in this situation the team (Houston) did what was best for them and made this trade.

Q: What is your goal for the New Orleans Pelicans?

Omer: Last year they had so many injuries. Majority of the players missed much of the season. Hopefully, this year everyone will be healthy. I think they have a good roster. If there is a good start and everyone is healthy I think we will have a nice season.

http://www.ahaber.com.tr/Spor/2014/0...nedenim-howard

I know you provided a link but, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone (outside of possibly you) on this forum could even read the original text. Lol.

Suffice to say we believe you when it comes to Asik. I'm sure you have said it elsewhere but, what are your expectations for Asik this season?

Reading is not really a problem.

Understanding, on the other hand...

Has anyone been to the Cheescake Factory?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    Germany was attacked?? WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I know you provided a link but, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone (outside of possibly you) on this forum could even read the original text. Lol.

Suffice to say we believe you when it comes to Asik. I'm sure you have said it elsewhere but, what are your expectations for Asik this season?
    My expectation is that Omer Asik will give Pelicans 8-10 points & 9-10 rebounds. But as already been talked about by the experts, there are many other things he brings.

On defense, I expect opposing FG% around the rim drop off significantly vs. 2013-2014. Paired with another decent defender (e.g. Taj Gibson) Omer makes defense almost impenetrable. With Anthony Davis, opposing FG% around the rim will be 30-33%.
    I expect that Anthony Davis BLKPG will be more than 3 as he will swat tons of shot attempts from the weak side. No doubt, they will turn opponents into jump shooting teams. (While Omer was in Chicago, this was the case even with Lebron-led Miami Heat).

If perimeter players play some defense, New Orleans Pelicans will be top 10 defensive team in the league, easily.

On offense, his screens are textbook. May sound as an exaggeration but I think he is the best screen setting big man in the entire NBA. You will see it yourself very soon.
    Almost all of his points come from pick&rolls and putbacks. Regarding P&R everything will depend on Jrue Holiday.
    That's it.
    Oh, and I hope this summer Omer doesn't have any training sessions with Hakeem Olajuwon, like he did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by OmerAsikFan View Post
    Oh, and I hope this summer Omer doesn't have any training sessions with Hakeem Olajuwon, like he did last year.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Why is that?
    maybe it's a footwork thing? Most bigs are far too slow to learn his post moves.

I'd love for AD to work with him. If AD could develop the Dream Shake he'd be deadly.

Thread Information