Pelicans Report

Thread: Nice piece on Asik from ESPN...

Nice piece on Asik from ESPN...

It's an InSider article so I won't post the link, but it's about the "off the radar" moves of the FA period.

Here's a small snip.

Last season, New Orleans paired Davis with fellow shot-blocker Greg Stiemsma for 570 minutes, during which the Pelicans' defensive rating was 3.3 points better than its season mark. Asik is about two tiers above Stiemsma as an interior defender. And so he and Davis should spend about three times as many minutes on the floor together. The Pelicans' performance on the defensive end should see a big boost as a result.

The addition of Asik is a big reason the Pelicans may be a breakout team this coming season.
    I really think this move was WAY bigger than most people think.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    I really think this move was WAY bigger than most people think.
    Of course it was. Asik and health will be the reason we make the playoffs this year. Our wings are very quick and they will be able to gamble way more than they have been able to in the past. If people get past our defensive perimeter they are way more likely to take jump shots instead of a layup and 1 like when we had Jason Smith or the foul heavy Steamer.

Can Asik step out and hit a little mid-range jumper like J-smith and Ajinca? I even remember Robin Lopez having a comfortable mid-range baseline jumper. Would be nice if Asik could spread the floor a little like Ajinca does so AD can go to work but that's prob wayyyy too much to ask for, but when Asik gets in foul trouble I really like Ajinca and AD on the floor together, both athletic bigs who can rebound and spread the floor. Everybody on this board will realize how big of a steal Ajinca was and he will be huge for us at the back-up center spot.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    Can Asik step out and hit a little mid-range jumper like J-smith and Ajinca? I even remember Robin Lopez having a comfortable mid-range baseline jumper. Would be nice if Asik could spread the floor a little like Ajinca does so AD can go to work but that's prob wayyyy too much to ask for, but when Asik gets in foul trouble I really like Ajinca and AD on the floor together, both athletic bigs who can rebound and spread the floor. Everybody on this board will realize how big of a steal Ajinca was and he will be huge for us at the back-up center spot.
    Asking anything of Asik outside of 3ft is asking too much sadly.

But that's fine. He eats glass and makes it super hard on the other end. If he had any top of offensive game he would be considered the best or in contest for the best C in the league.

If he were on the Pacers it isn't a good fit because they need scoring. He's an amazing fit for us because he doesn't demand the ball at all on offense, allowing all of our scorers to do what they do best, and on defense he makes up for their weakness.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    Asik will not touch the ball on offense unless:

1. He gets it himself (rebound)
    2. He is WIDE OPEN (his man completely loses him)

The only thing he will do is rebound & set nasty picks. And we will love him for this.

Thread Information