Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Austin goes off for 42 at Orlando pro am

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Didn't see him finish with his left hand once in that video.
    Nope. He even made it a point to finish with his right hand on drives that he went left. He's not going to finish with his left unless he's forced to, and those guys can't couldn't force him to do anything.

This is the exact competition he needs to be playing against. Not an NBA player!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    http://youtu.be/da3iSD-NISw

He looks noticeably bigger, jumpshot lookers smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    This is the exact competition he needs to be playing against. Not an NBA player!
    Did you say that about LeBron when he was playing and getting dunked on by high schoolers? A lot of NBA players take a week or 2 to do stuff like this during the off-season. Chill.

I look at this the same as I would look at a pre draft workout video. Every player plays against inferior talent to work on their moves, it's practicing against moving cones.

Are you comparing Lebron to Austin Rivers? Were talking about Austin Rivers man, really?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Did you say that about LeBron when he was playing and getting dunked on by high schoolers? A lot of NBA players take a week or 2 to do stuff like this during the off-season. Chill.

Are you comparing Lebron to Austin Rivers? Were talking about Austin Rivers man, really?
    Nice deflection but that's not comparing Lebron to Rivers. I asked if you said the same thing about the competition he played against when he was in a similar situation year ago. I'm assuming your answer is no. So knowing that many NBA guys do exactly this during the off-season, do you think all of those guys aren't NBA players?

Austin Rivers is an nba player. That says it all, there alot of bad nba players on the back end of rosters.
    I'm sorry, wait i wasn't thinking straight. Austin Rivers is awesome, he has proved that from day one. He shoots incredibly high fg%, he finished great, he is great with his left hand, he shoots free throws great, he's a spot on three point shooter. I mean, he does everything off the charts. Austin Rivers is amazing, just great.!

Nice deflection but that's not comparing Lebron to Rivers. I asked if you said the same thing about the competition he played against when he was in a similar situation year ago. I'm assuming your answer is no. So knowing that many NBA guys do exactly this during the off-season, do you think all of those guys aren't NBA players?

Austin Rivers is an nba player. That says it all, there alot of bad nba players on the back end of rosters.
    I'm sorry, wait i wasn't thinking straight. Austin Rivers is awesome, he has proved that from day one. He shoots incredibly high fg%, he finished great, he is great with his left hand, he shoots free throws great, he's a spot on three point shooter. I mean, he does everything off the charts. Austin Rivers is amazing, just great.!
    I don't even think the Rivers supporters would say any of that. I'm not a huge Rivers supporter or a hater, I just call it like I see it. He is and should be an NBA player, he has the potential to be a good backup PG in this league and possible starter years down the road. His defense is good and ahead of his years in that department, this is honestly what he has surprised me the most with. He has good size for the position and his handles are the 2nd best on the team. He needs to improve his mid range and rim % shots and also his free throws; but I think it would be unfortunate to turn a blind eye to his potential.

Banned
    After Bo Outlaw...I take EVERY non NBA game performance with a grain of salt.

Analysis of Rivers while at Duke, has anything changed??

Austin Rivers, ESPN’s no. 3-rated recruit, came to Duke as one of the most hyped freshmen in the school’s storied history. Given his immense profile and his pedigree, Rivers was expected to immediately contribute and fill the holes left by the departures of Nolan Smith and Kyrie Irving. And if you just look at his scoring line, you’d say that Rivers has adjusted nicely, averaging 13.3 points per game. But those numbers don’t tell the whole story — the truth is, Rivers has struggled, especially when it comes to taking the ball to the rack.

According to Synergy Sports Technology. He has compiled a points per possession (PPP) rate of 0.879, good for 1,109th in college basketball. PPP is an effective way to judge efficiency because it takes every possession that ends with a shot, assist, or turnover and uses that to evaluate a player’s performance. With stats like field goal percentage, you are only looking at shots attempted and aren’t considering assists or turnovers. A player could have a fantastic field goal percentage, but if he’s turning it over 75 percent of the time, that’s not efficient. Stats like turnover percentage, obviously, do not factor in scoring ability. A player could do a great job of taking care of the basketball, but not shoot it well.

Strangely enough, Rivers’ efficiency suffers when he takes the ball to the rim. The majority of these possessions have come out of isolation and pick-and-roll situations. Given his talents, which include a great first step, strong ball-handling skills, and elite jumping ability, you would think Rivers would be a very strong isolation player. But in those situations, which have made up 29.3 percent of Rivers’ offensive possessions, Rivers is posting a PPP of 0.588, putting him in the bottom 25 percent among all college players. The tape doesn’t lie, either — Rivers is great at creating and getting into space, but he struggles to finish, opting too many times to force up difficult shots in the lane.

In pick-and-roll situations, which make up 44.8 percent of Rivers’ possessions, Rivers is actually playing pretty well, hitting on 68.8 percent of his shots and getting to the line 15.4 percent of the time. Numbers like this usually put you at the top of any efficiency list. Rivers, somehow, only cracks the 82nd percentile. The reason? Turnovers. Rivers is turning the basketball over 23.1 percent of the time when coming off of a ball screen, a rate that has not only hurt his efficiency, but has disrupted Duke’s offensive rhythm.

For the most part, these problems have been a result of bad decisions. It’s early in his career, but Rivers has not yet shown the ability to hit the open man, and oftentimes finds himself in low-percentage one-on-one situations with a bigger defender.

I don't even think the Rivers supporters would say any of that. I'm not a huge Rivers supporter or a hater, I just call it like I see it. He is and should be an NBA player, he has the potential to be a good backup PG in this league and possible starter years down the road. His defense is good and ahead of his years in that department, this is honestly what he has surprised me the most with. He has good size for the position and his handles are the 2nd best on the team. He needs to improve his mid range and rim % shots and also his free throws; but I think it would be unfortunate to turn a blind eye to his potential.

Thread Information