Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What would it take...

What would it take...

over the next few years, in terms of development and win record, to really capture on the huge free agents in the next couple years?? I'm talking someone like Kevin Durant here.

If we get into the playoffs this season and maybe second round of the playoffs next season I think it could be a real possibility. We would be able to make the cap space, according to MM, and AD and KD are already good friends. Anyhow I just think it'd be an absolutely incredible team. If KD really is a small town kind of guy like people say, maybe AD can draw him in.

It has been slow the last few days, so don't murder about how this is a speculation post and yadi yadi. Just trying to dream

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    If KD ever leaves OKC, I'd think it'd have to be for DC.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    If KD ever leaves OKC, I'd think it'd have to be for DC.

if there's enough cap room when superstars hit the market in 2-3 years you have to think we would at least get a look. i also think durant would go to DC if he left but a lot of time between then and now. If his main objective is winning who else would be on his mind after DC? Guys want to play with the best & who better to potentially team up with than AD? that doesn't go for just Durant that goes for any great player looking to win in a few years

KD still hasn't won in OKC. Those fans are so dedicated to him and he knows it, just look at footage when they lose playoff series and how encouraging their fan base is towards their losing team, it's incredible. With that said, before we talk about KD leaving I think he needs to win there first, especially after the whole LBJ scenario leaving Cleveland with unfinished business(went to the finals once and lost like KD did in a few years back). I just don't see KD leaving okc without bringing that city a championship. We're not talking about just any superstar, prob the most humble and most respected in the entire NBA, but most importantly the most loyal superstar.

If San Antonio hadn't taught us anything else... they should have taught us that you don't need a team full of "Super Stars" to win. You surround AD with the right players and we can do some damage... even in the West.

I honestly don't think we're THAT far off. We can beat Portland. We can beat houston. We have beaten memphis. We can beat Dallas. We can compete with OKC. We can beat LAC. We can beat GS. We're still not in San Antonio's neighborhood, but we're closing in on them.

I still say we need a SF. We're forced to play 3 guards now but maybe next offseason (draft?) we can find one. or maybe whenever Gordon's contract is off our books we can sign one.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Not to be a downer but KD is not coming here. There's only one other city that can get him if he leave OKC and that's his hometown.

I think i know the answer to this question.....Health. If we can stay healthy we will be a good team an go far then people will start considering us. But with us having a very competitive roster and always being in bad health we look a lot worse especially in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    If San Antonio hadn't taught us anything else... they should have taught us that you don't need a team full of "Super Stars" to win. You surround AD with the right players and we can do some damage... even in the West.

I honestly don't think we're THAT far off. We can beat Portland. We can beat houston. We have beaten memphis. We can beat Dallas. We can compete with OKC. We can beat LAC. We can beat GS. We're still not in San Antonio's neighborhood, but we're closing in on them.

I still say we need a SF. We're forced to play 3 guards now but maybe next offseason (draft?) we can find one. or maybe whenever Gordon's contract is off our books we can sign one.
    I don't understand where the idea that San Antonio doesn't have superstars has come from. They have maybe the best PF of all time, with a top 3 PG of the past decade, and an incredible SG coming off the bench. I think if Parker and Ginobli were playing anywhere else they would be considered superstars and put up WAY bigger numbers. I think the spurs have shown us that you need superstar talent to buy into a team system where the team is bigger than them. That involves those role players AND keeps the superstar's number from inflating, ultimately making them more affordable.

I think our team has the ability already to hold onto our core just because with this much talent on our team they won't be overpaid, cause their box scores won't show their true worth.

On the point of KD only leaving OKC for his hometown, why is this such a popular line with fans? Is there a history of superstars returning home over other teams that will offer a better chance of winning? I think this idea of "Hometown Hero" is stuck in peoples minds because of LeBron, but it truly doesn't happen often. Am I wrong here??

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    I don't understand where the idea that San Antonio doesn't have superstars has come from.

SNIP
    It depends on what your definition of "Superstar" is.

A combination of AD recruiting, competing in the playoffs, and cap-space.

Tim Duncan, many believe the best PF of all time. . Tony Parker has been one of the best PG's in the league for over a decade. Manu Ginobli in his role off the bench is as good as anyone in history. All of them meet the definition of superstar.

Anthony Davis is showing potential to reach Tim Duncan levels but Holiday and Tyreke are a long way from the careers of Parker and Ginobli.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Tim Duncan, many believe the best PF of all time. . Tony Parker has been one of the best PG's in the league for over a decade. Manu Ginobli in his role off the bench is as good as anyone in history. All of them meet the definition of superstar.

Anthony Davis is showing potential to reach Tim Duncan levels but Holiday and Tyreke are a long way from the careers of Parker and Ginobli.
    Like I said...

Originally Posted by DroopyDawg

I wouldn't call any of them "Super stars" in 2014. But that's my opinion.

In a few years we will have one of the top 3-5 players in the league. Anthony Davis. As long as Dell and Monty keep the ship on track the win's will come.

As far a attracting another top level talent FA, Just win baby, and they will come.

Case in point the New Orleans Saints.

To me this season will be telling. The pressure is at an all time high for this one season. I don't recall so much being on the line.

I think a missed playoff appearance will result in ownership cleaning house. Which could potentially set this team back if new management wants to distance itself from old management.

To me this is a much more pressing issue and likely outcome than us landing a superstar FA. Players like that just don't go to smaller markets. LeBron now being the only example and that's an area he's connected to and a franchise he's familiar with. Every other examples shows the superstar leaving town for a larger market even if they were having some(as long as it was non-title) success with their current teams.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-30-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Playoffs multiple years, AD looking like a MVP, and recruiting by AD.

1-6

Offseason optimism at its finest gents.

By this assessment we are the second or third best team in the West according to you.

We have one potential superstar that is averaging 65 games a season, one good defensive big man and a handful of guys that are above average that have shown sparks but have not proven anything. All with an average coach that has yet to prove he can effectively manage a roster over the course of a season or consistently be a good play caller.

I think we can make the playoffs but even under a best case scenario we aren't dropping most of those teams you listed in a 7 game series.

First, the Pelicans are unlikely to sign someone like Durant, those guys rarely change teams via Free Agency, it'd more likely be via S&T the year before they became a FA. If that's the case, you need to be an up and coming playoff team at the least. It looks like we missed the window for Kevin Love. If the year had gone like we all had dreamed, knocking off the Clippers in the first round and being competitive in the 2nd, we may well be in the Kevin Love conversation. But that didn't happen so we aren't. I would think breaking into the Durant conversation would require a similar level of success, be a playoff surprise this year and take a good team to 6 or 7 games in the 2nd round. The team has enough tradeable pieces to get in a bidding war over a star player (it's rare that a near contention level team would have rebuild assets like the Cavs do). What they lack is the up and coming label that can only be gotten by winning.

If AD was able to recruit KD as a FA in 2016 or ST, the city would quickly become a basketball city.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Offseason optimism at its finest gents.

By this assessment we are the second or third best team in the West according to you.
    I think you saw what you wanted to see, but paid no attention to what I actually said. Here let me help..

We can beat Portland.
    We can beat houston.
    We can beat Dallas.
    We can beat LAC.
    We can beat GS.
    Now I want you to pay close attention to the bold words in those quotes. I didn't say that we WILL beat these teams. Again... you saw what you wanted to see, but didn't see what I actually said.

We have beaten memphis.
    Did we sweep them this season? Or did they win the last game (I really can't remember)? I know we won at least 3 against them this season correct?

We can compete with OKC.
    Do you agree? We can compete with them but we could never put a full game together against them.

So how is this "Offseason optimism at its finest gents."?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    To me this season will be telling. The pressure is at an all time high for this one season. I don't recall so much being on the line.

I think a missed playoff appearance will result in ownership cleaning house. Which could potentially set this team back if new management wants to distance itself from old management.

To me this is a much more pressing issue and likely outcome than us landing a superstar FA. Players like that just don't go to smaller markets. LeBron now being the only example and that's an area he's connected to and a franchise he's familiar with. Every other examples shows the superstar leaving town for a larger market even if they were having some(as long as it was non-title) success with their current teams.
    I agree with the bolded and i'm not sure the franchise has much of a choice.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I agree with the bolded and i'm not sure the franchise has much of a choice.
    Melo didn't stand a chance on that drive... what was he thinking?

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    a KD and AD combo would be incredible...not impossible if KD really wanted to join AD here...we'd clear cap space
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

No one is talking about KD recruiting AD to OKC?

Banned
    This team needs a first rate scorer that can stay healthy. NO go to at the end of the game right now other than Evans that I feel confidence with.

Thread Information