Pelicans Report

Thread: Austin Rivers AAU coach says he has allstar potential

Austin Rivers AAU coach says he has allstar potential

Good read

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/08/06/au...-his-aau-coach

Well, I remember Austin from when he was coming up in rec league and he really wasn’t as good as the rest of them. I came on with him for the last three years and he’d gotten so much better and that’s just a credit to his work ethic. He worked himself in to being a pro. It’s crazy. He definitely wasn’t born a pro. He made himself a pro.
    With his work ethic and his drive I feel like he can be one of the best players in the league and eventually become an All Star. He works to be the best every day. The last 20 games last season is where he really showed what type of player that he can be. The last couple of games he was averaging around 15 points a game and that’s something that he’s capable of, and more, every night to go along with seven assists or so. I* always tell people that this is really like his junior year in college and a lot of kids are getting a little set back with that one-and-done rule, but his drive and ability are gonna get him past that. I think he’ll be one of the best in the league.

I will be honest I am a huge Austin fan. I see so much promise in him simply becasue of his work ethic. I see him as a Ron Artest type. Decent skill level but fierce competitor. I will take a Ron Artest type over a Lamar Odom type all day.
    I'm a grinder

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Jesus, turn 27 Monday, and now I'm all cynical.

First response was, "Okay, but he needs to show it first."

he's older than patric young by a few months & younger than Russ. he'll be fine

I appreciate his old coach sticking up for him, but no.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Jesus, turn 27 Monday, and now I'm all cynical.

First response was, "Okay, but he needs to show it first."
    YOU'RE cynical?

My first response was, "Grain of Salt. Look who's saying it. Former coach."

Like he'd say, "Nope. Guy sucks."

And I'm an Austin fan. Old age hits us like a ton of bricks. Next thing I know I'm checking the mail in my bathrobe screaming at the kids, "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

can't question his heart, but not sure of his talent. He has good quickness, decent athleticism, his touch around the rim for me right now is only so so. That, compounded by the fact that the position he plays is one of the deepest it's ever been in perhaps NBA history, I think the cards are stacked unfairly against him to be an all star
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I think Austin is like so many of these guys today, you just don't know what you've got right away. There are encouraging signs, but you really need to give them a long look if you want to make a fair evaluation. Seems crazy to say, but the upcoming season would be Austin's senior year at Duke. Some guys, like AD, are pro-ready at 19 or 20 (or like LeBron, right out of high school), but that is pretty rare. Many guys who turn out to be good pros or even all-stars would look overmatched if you put them into an NBA line up as a college sophomore or junior. That was certainly true of Rivers. He's not an elite athlete, but he's a good one and he came into the league with the ability to penetrate even though he looked like a junior high kid out there. Shooting was a weak point, but that is an NBA skill that can demonstrably improve with work, as we've seen with many players. His defense was suspect, but I'd now place it above average for his position. He'll be a little stronger, a little better finisher and hopefully his spot up 3 ball shooting at the end of the year wasn't just a small sample blip. If he gets a mid-range game, then I think you've got a good player who can be a valuable piece. But if I was picking one key for Austin this year, it would be FT shooting. He'll get to the rim, he'll get fouled. If he can shoot 80%+ from the line he'll add some wins for the club.

The part that I liked is when he said Austin wasn't as good as the other kids in rec league and worked to be the #1 high school player. Feels like possible deja vu

He is going to be an All Pro defensive tackle before he becomes an All Star level pg or sg...or whatever the hell we try to salvage out of him.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    But if I was picking one key for Austin this year, it would be FT shooting. He'll get to the rim, he'll get fouled. If he can shoot 80%+ from the line he'll add some wins for the club.
    I'm just hoping for the low-mid 70s, personally. Baby steps!

I always said he came out of college way under cooked/too early.

This his his breakout season.

What would Austin have to do to qualify as having a breakout season? If we're healthy and he still plays behind our 3 guards but he does well does he still count as breaking out?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

His AAU coach saying he has the potential to be an all-star is the equivalent of my World History teacher in high school telling me I could become president one day.... just sayin....

my mom tells me all the time i am very special and i can do whatever i set my mind to doing...

Thread Information