Pelicans Report

Thread: Interesting piece on shot distribution and spacing in the Southwest division

Interesting piece on shot distribution and spacing in the Southwest division

Rounding out the division, the chart for the Pelicans is an interesting mix of things that don’t seem to work well together. It begins with likely too much area covered by Jason Smith and Al-Farouq Aminu, and not enough from the Anthony Davis/Eric Gordon/Jrue Holiday trio. There are promising trends here. Though. Davis is obviously most effective in the hoop, and has some tiny Hunting Grounds developing along the baseline, foul line extended, and top of the key. Gordon consistently dominates both 3pt wings. Holiday displays the potential of a balanced attack, with strong activity in the paint and some activity near the foul line/elbow. However, his midrange game is crowded by Smith (and vice versa), and only has one distinctly unique Hunting Ground from deep to his name. In a strictly shot selection/Hunting Ground perspective, this lineup resembles a less disciplined Spurs group.

A few tweaks could go a long way for the Pelicans offense, including:

Keep Aminu (or rather, his replacement) in the the corners and out of the elbow
    More Brow shots on the block and near the foul line
    Share the elbows between Smith and Holiday; likely giving Holiday more room on the right side (the chart’s left side)
    Five teams, each with distinctly different charts, providing insight to coaching and player decision-making processes. Check back soon for the next TeamSPACE division review.
    http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/07/29/...southwest-won/

I'll have to take some time reading this during lunch. Thanks.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Looks like someone dropped sulfuric acid on a shot chart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my-eyes-meme.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	5700

So they fixed that problem by getting rid of them

1-6

As the writer points out, it's a less disciplined Spurs version. Replacing Smith with Anderson, and Aminu with Salmons, the distribution would change to emphasize corner threes and wing threes instead of that mess at mid range. It would allow Davis and Jrue to operate more in those areas.

Do the Mavs have anyone that can replicate a modicum of Calderon's production on the 3pt arc? If so, Aminu looks like he will do ok if slotted in for Marion.

I wish he could have done the Finishing Five for our Pels. Our lineup was so wrecked that one that included Jrue and Smith was the most used. Blech

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe Parsons? Not as effective, but that should be his role. Nelson isn't a bad shooter either.

hah, smith only played 31 games and is in 2 of the 3 highest rotations by minutes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    As the writer points out, it's a less disciplined Spurs version. Replacing Smith with Anderson, and Aminu with Salmons, the distribution would change to emphasize corner threes and wing threes instead of that mess at mid range. It would allow Davis and Jrue to operate more in those areas.
    Anything even close to the SPURS I'm OK with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information