Pelicans Report

Thread: How much of oiur inability to shoot the three lies on the Assistant Coaching staff?

How much of oiur inability to shoot the three lies on the Assistant Coaching staff?

I was reading this grantland piece on the development of Kyler Korver and here is a tidbit they said about Randy Ayers:

It’s a telling contrast with Korver’s first season in Philly, when Randy Ayers, the team’s head coach, pushed Korver away from the 3-point arc. Ayers wanted his rookie to develop a midrange game and attack the basket before launching triples. That changed when Philly fired Ayers and hired Jim O’Brien, late of the Celtics, before Korver’s second season in 2004-05. In the team’s very first practice, Allen Iverson ran a two-on-one fast break with Korver filling the wing. Iverson dished to Korver behind the 3-point arc. Korver took two dribbles, nailed a 17-footer, and waited for the applause.

O’Brien was livid. He screamed for Korver to look down at the 3-point line.
    O’Brien told him that if Korver ever passed up another open 3-pointer, he would remove him from the game. Korver remembers one thought flying through his head during O’Brien’s tirade: This is awesome.
    Sounds like some of the stuff we experience.

I don't think Ayers is a factor, regarding our three point production. The way this team is constructed, three point shooting is encouraged. I think Monty stresses good three point shots with an extra pass.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The implication being that Ayers is telling players to take fewer 3s and more mid-range shots? Only player I've seen pass on an open 3 with any regularity is Austin Rivers, except he's only recently started taking more mid-range. If he doesn't take the 3, he'd go right to the basket. And everyone we played started to catch on. Gordon, Ryno, Morrow, Roberts, Miller, even Reke have let it fly when wide open. Aminu sometimes passes on it to, but you can't put that on any coach. That's just Aminu being Aminu.

There were lots of times last season that Morrow opted out of a lightly-contested 3pt shot for a 15-18ft jumper instead. Gordon did it somewhat frequently, as well.

If they were wide open and it wasn't the beginning of the shot clock, they usually took the shot.

3-Point Field Goals Attempted Per Game

1 Houston 26.6
    2 Atlanta 25.8
    3 Portland 25.3
    4 Phoenix 25.1
    5 New York 24.9
    6 Golden State 24.8
    LA Lakers 24.8
    8 LA Clippers 24.0
    9 Denver 23.9
    10 Brooklyn 23.4
    Toronto 23.4
    12 Dallas 22.9
    13 Philadelphia 22.5
    14 Oklahoma City 22.4
    15 Miami 22.3
    16 San Antonio 21.4
    Minnesota 21.4
    18 Boston 21.1
    19 Washington 20.8
    20 Cleveland 20.0
    21 Orlando 19.5
    22 Detroit 19.3
    23 Utah 19.2
    24 Milwaukee 18.9
    25 Indiana 18.8
    26 Sacramento 18.0
    27 Charlotte 17.9
    28 Chicago 17.8
    29 New Orleans 15.9
    30 Memphis 14.0

80% coaching, 20% injuries.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-29-2014 at 12:53 PM.

2011-12, New Orleans was 11.8 3PA, 30th in NBA.
    2012-13, New Orleans was 18.0 3PA, tied 21st in NBA.
    2013-14, New Orleans was 15.9 3PA, 29th in NBA.

Yes, it absolutely is the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    3-Point Field Goals Attempted Per Game

1 Houston 26.6
    2 Atlanta 25.8
    3 Portland 25.3
    4 Phoenix 25.1
    5 New York 24.9
    6 Golden State 24.8
    LA Lakers 24.8
    8 LA Clippers 24.0
    9 Denver 23.9
    10 Brooklyn 23.4
    Toronto 23.4
    12 Dallas 22.9
    13 Philadelphia 22.5
    14 Oklahoma City 22.4
    15 Miami 22.3
    16 San Antonio 21.4
    Minnesota 21.4
    18 Boston 21.1
    19 Washington 20.8
    20 Cleveland 20.0
    21 Orlando 19.5
    22 Detroit 19.3
    23 Utah 19.2
    24 Milwaukee 18.9
    25 Indiana 18.8
    26 Sacramento 18.0
    27 Charlotte 17.9
    28 Chicago 17.8
    29 New Orleans 15.9
    30 Memphis 14.0

70% coaching, 30% injuries.
    Exactly we don't shoot anywhere close to the number of threes we need to, I've expressed this over and over again. The worst part is unlike Memphis, Chicago, Charlotte, we actually have a descent 3 point shooting team. Our percentage was descent and other that Evans we have good 3 point shooters. I'm not sure how or why our offense was ok last year so I let it slide, but sometimes I wonder if the coaching staff really knows what they're doing.

Looking at averages, Ryno would have taken about 400 more. Even if you subtract Babbitt's 3's (because he likely doesn't get signed), then you are at +305. Let's say with Gordon's 18 missed games (he averaged 4 attempts per game) and Holiday's 48 missed games, we get another 100 or so from them over what we got from Rivers, Roberts, and Tyreke getting more mins and touches. That brings you right to the middle of the pack. Impressive when you have two non shooters getting such big mins on the wing with Evans and Aminu. Now, Aminu is gone!!

I think 21 per game this year is a conservative prediction, with the breakdown going like this:

Ryno - 7
    Gordon - 4
    Jrue - 3
    Salmons/Babbitt/Miller - 3
    Jimmer/Rivers - 2
    Tyreke/AD - 2

Quote Originally Posted by Above the Rim View Post
    Looking at averages, Ryno would have taken about 400 more. Even if you subtract Babbitt's 3's (because he likely doesn't get signed), then you are at +305. Let's say with Gordon's 18 missed games (he averaged 4 attempts per game) and Holiday's 48 missed games, we get another 100 or so from them over what we got from Rivers, Roberts, and Tyreke getting more mins and touches. That brings you right to the middle of the pack. Impressive when you have two non shooters getting such big mins on the wing with Evans and Aminu. Now, Aminu is gone!!

I think 21 per game this year is a conservative prediction, with the breakdown going like this:

Ryno - 7
    Gordon - 4
    Jrue - 3
    Salmons/Babbitt/Miller - 3
    Jimmer/Rivers - 2
    Tyreke/AD - 2
    With a mostly healthy Anderson we were 21st, and he was a 3 point shooting monster that year. Of course a lot of that was offset by Aminu sucking, but still, could be much better

We need to top 5 in 3pt attempts this year, we have way too many shooters not to. Jrue, Rivers, Gordon, Russ, Jimmer, Miller, Salmons, Ryno, Babbit. Nine! Very capable 3pt shooters. And Jimmer and Ryno are 2 of the best in the league from deep.

New Orleans needs to be at 21 3PA minimum this year.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    With a mostly healthy Anderson we were 21st, and he was a 3 point shooting monster that year. Of course a lot of that was offset by Aminu sucking, but still, could be much better
    Yeah, but the difference between 21 and say, 13th, is like three 3-pt attempts. Take out Aminu and insert an avg SF, and we don't have an issue. That would be higher than OKC, SA, and Miami - three pretty good offenses.

Addition by subtraction (Aminu) will do a lot for us this year IMO

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    We need to top 5 in 3pt attempts this year, we have way too many shooters not to. Jrue, Rivers, Gordon, Russ, Jimmer, Miller, Salmons, Ryno, Babbit. Nine! Very capable 3pt shooters. And Jimmer and Ryno are 2 of the best in the league from deep.
    You listed a bunch of guys who likely won't be playing. AD, Asik, and Reke will be getting 100-105 of the possible 240 minutes and they might produce 2 three-point attempts a game. To be top 5, you would need 23 attempts from the other guys. That would mean all the other players would have to avg six attempts per 36 mins. Not realistic IMO.

San Antonio had a pretty good offense and they put up 21.4 per game. That would be good enough for me. 21-22.5 attempts.

I agree, if you are one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the league why would you be at the bottom in attempts? Thats like being one of the best running teams in football but always passing the ball...

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I agree, if you are one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the league why would you be at the bottom in attempts? Thats like being one of the best running teams in football but always passing the ball...
    Didn't the Saints win a Super Bowl that way?

The Ideal 3 point shooting attempts per game would be
    Anderson 7 (I really have no complaints about his offense, especially if his 2 point game he showed last season in 22 games keeps up)
    Gordon 6 (His best seasons in LA were him shooting a lot of 3s, I'd also like him to play out of the corners more)
    Holiday 4 (This won't happen, because Holiday really only takes open 3s, but wouldn't mind him having more of a green light)
    Evans/Davis 2
    Asik 0,000,000.00
    everyone else 5

for a total of 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    I was reading this grantland piece on the development of Kyler Korver and here is a tidbit they said about Randy Ayers:

Sounds like some of the stuff we experience.
    There are a couple ways you can look at this... as a shooter myself (well... used to be shooter) guys would close out hard on me at the 3-point line, and without the ability to take a couple dribbles in and knock down the mid-range jumper... Korver would have been useless (so to speak).

I think ALL PLAYERS should develop a mid-range game even if your range stretches to the timeline. The 3 won't always be there, but if you have a solid mid-range game... whether you're a 3-point sniper or if you're an attacker (like Reke) your game would be so much better if you add a reliable mid-range shot to it.

Just my opinion. IDK what Ayers' motives were. But if I had to guess... that's what I'd take from it.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Even the Saints ran the ball very well when they won their Super Bowl.

lol yes but their passing was just as good as their running

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    Even the Saints ran the ball very well when they won their Super Bowl.
    Just like the Pels shoot the ball really well from deep. The Saints rarely used their good run game to build their leads that season. They mainly used it to run out the clock at the end of games.

It's a very imperfect analogy, but I meant the original statement as a joke! Hence the winky face.

Just like the Pels shoot the ball really well from deep. The Saints rarely used their good run game to build their leads that season. They mainly used it to run out the clock at the end of games.

It's a very imperfect analogy, but I meant the original statement as a joke! Hence the winky face.
    hey i know u did man, we all just having fun. still though, if the pelicans are good at shooting 3pointers, they need to take more.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    hey i know u did man, we all just having fun. still though, if the pelicans are good at shooting 3pointers, they need to take more.
    Agreed. I think we should expect a couple more 3 pointers as a team than that year Anderson broke out (as long as everyone remains somewhat healthy). So, probably 15-20th in the league.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Alarming that part of our basketball brain trust was mentionend in that light. No matter how you justify it, especially that we've been bad in regards to three point shooting attempts, and like Korver, we have one of the best in game. Anecdotal or not.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Asik 0,000,000.00
    Need MOAR 0's! lol

Thread Information