Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N/P Byron Scott Officially Lakers New Coach

NBA N/P Byron Scott Officially Lakers New Coach

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

LOL

Like the guy but he never saw why he'd make an okay coach. 4 years is a long contract for a team still paying for 2 past head coaches still.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Like the guy but he never saw why he'd make an okay coach. 4 years is a long contract for a team still paying for 2 past head coaches still.
    tough to see if his teams were successful b/c he coached up PGs Jason Kidd and CP3... or was he successful only b/c of PGs the caliber of Jason Kidd and CP3

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    That's 3 coaches they will be paying in one season, right? And only one will actually be coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    That's 3 coaches they will be paying in one season, right? And only one will actually be coaching.
    They bought out the others.... so they are only paying 1. But that's still a lot of money to be paying out to coaches on a yearly basis

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    They bought out the others.... so they are only paying 1. But that's still a lot of money to be paying out to coaches on a yearly basis
    That's still mind blowing, but I guess their philosophy is "shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars.... sooner or later"

Not like they cant afford it, but your right.

Byron is not a bad temporary option if they just want to Keep Kobe quiet. Once Kobe goes blow it all up and find yet another coach lol

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Byron is not a bad temporary option if they just want to Keep Kobe quiet. Once Kobe goes blow it all up and find yet another coach lol
    How long you think until Kobe decides he wants to be the coach?

For the money they gave him I'd expect him to coach as well lol.

how this guy keeps falling backwards into nba head coaching jobs I will never know
    at least we know the lakers will be a poisonous mess now

And they say gms and the like know so much more than the average fan...

Right. Not always uh?

great news.............

............for the rest of the league

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    great news.............

............for the rest of the league
    This had me laughing more than I care to admit. 10 pointer sir

Draft Pick
    Also why do so many coaches get recycled in this league? At least fail with someone new

I actually don't think it's a bad hire. Think about it, the Lakers are pretty much in purgatory for the next two years and are already paying 2 other coaches and no shot to win the championship. So you bring in a low risk guy like Scott to take a bunch of vets thrown together to play. Next year's pick is top 5 protected, which would be finishing worse than they did last year with a worse roster and without Kobe. So i'm assuming they see that and want to make that as bad as can be and while we know Scott isn't the best coach, you know what you're getting. Scott's contract is 3 years with a 4th year option and they can easily fire him once Kobe's contract is up and start fresh. I thought it was a pretty good hire but maybe 1 year too long.

And to add to this, what coach in their right mind even wants that job right now? It's a no win situation.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 07-27-2014 at 11:12 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Swaggy P better get ready to get the Marcus Thornton and JR Smith treatment!

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Swaggy P better get ready to get the Marcus Thornton and JR Smith treatment!
    Swaggy P is the FUTURE of the Lakers.

I didn't say the future would be good.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    [...]
    So i'm assuming they see that and want to make that as bad as can be and while we know Scott isn't the best coach, you know what you're getting. Scott's contract is 3 years with a 4th year option and they can easily fire him once Kobe's contract is up and start fresh.

[...]
    I thought I heard that the Lakers had an out in his contract after just one year? Maybe just me or the guy I got the third-hand information from heard it wrong.

Otherwise, your thoughts echo my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I thought I heard that the Lakers had an out in his contract after just one year? Maybe just me or the guy I got the third-hand information from heard it wrong.

Otherwise, your thoughts echo my own.
    Here;s where I read it:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ome-head-coach

Sources told ESPN that Scott agreed to a four-year, $17 million contract with the Lakers, who hold a team option on the final year of the deal.

Thread Information