Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: demps and monty huge mistake

I wonder what the average FG% at rim for guards is.

e: Found it! 62.0%. With an assist rate of 40%
    Last edited by Kibner; 07-28-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Reggie Jackson's looks interesting:

FG% %As
    80.2 19.8

Oh, boo. That site I looked up is for the 12-13 season and not the 13-14 season. They don't have that data, yet.

Can anyone hook me up with a site that I can look at shot distances by player and by league average while filtering by position?

Well, not what I wanted, but whatver: http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...gular%20Season

FG % on Drives
    Rivers: 42.8%
    Evans: 45.1%
    Gordon: 48.3%
    Parker: 52.7% (the best FG% among the guard leaders in total drives during regular season)
    Dragic: 51.6%
    Thomas: 51.6%
    Harden: 48.2%
    Jackson: 48.0%
    Irving: 46.7%
    Teague: 42.1%
    Lillard: 40.4%

Uh yes, you can get there and still have a defender on you altering your shot!!!!, That' why he doesnt' finish!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Could you attempt shots from there without actually GETTING THERE???

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Uh yes, you can get there and still have a defender on you altering your shot!!!!, That' why he doesnt' finish!!!!
    We aren't talking about finishing.

My comment was directly in regards to someone saying he doesn't have the ability to get to the Rim.

If you read my previous post you would have noticed I said his biggest issue isn't getting to the rim. It's finishing there. He is better at actually getting to the rim than any of the mentioned players. He doesn't have the body to finish yet.

one reason Rivers has a lower fg% at the rim is because he had problems the last two seasons finishing through contact. He is small and young so it is a least a somewhat expected but he should get better as he gets stronger. I think this is a bigger factor in his fg% at the rim than his "ability to get there" or explosion (quickness), his quickness and handles are some of his positives I am still shocked this is being discussed.
    never assume

Finishing through contact (that isn't egregious enough to be called a foul) is one thing he struggles with. The other is attempting floaters and other types of shots in the paint that he honestly has no touch on. He is really bad at shooting while moving.

If he can change his driving shots to either be a layup/dunk (if he has a good angle) or come to a quick stop for a pull-up jumper, he would be much better off.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kibner; 07-28-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Damn near every guard in the NBA can get to the rim, FINISHING is the only thing that matters!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We aren't talking about finishing.

My comment was directly in regards to someone saying he doesn't have the ability to get to the Rim.

If you read my previous post you would have noticed I said his biggest issue isn't getting to the rim. It's finishing there. He is better at actually getting to the rim than any of the mentioned players. He doesn't have the body to finish yet.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    one reason Rivers has a lower fg% at the rim is because he had problems the last two seasons finishing through contact. He is small and young so it is a least a somewhat expected but he should get better as he gets stronger. I think this is a bigger factor in his fg% at the rim than his "ability to get there" or explosion (quickness), his quickness and handles are some of his positives I am still shocked this is being discussed.
    Dude, you're wasting your breath. I stopped a while ago when I realized it.

Rivers was #70 in FG% out of the 99 players who had 200+ drives last season. Rivers had 368 drives. Austin shoots a higher FG% on drives than these starting guards:

• Wroten
    • Augustin
    • Rubio
    • Teague
    • Rondo (284 drives in only 30 games, nice)
    • Afflalo
    • Felton
    • Lillard
    • Beverly
    • Westbrook (!)
    • Walker
    • Carter-Williams
    • Hinrich
    • Burke
    • Jennings

e: The link I used for the information on player drives: http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=DES
    Last edited by Kibner; 07-28-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Damn near every guard in the NBA can get to the rim, FINISHING is the only thing that matters!!!!!
    So the argument went from "Rivers is quick but not fast and that's why he attempts so many floaters in the lane" to "Every guard can get to the basket. Rivers is nothing special."

We all agree that Rivers needs to finish better. He hasn't had the weight to finish through contact. But please don't try to discredit the elite skill he does have. His ball handling is amazing. I'd say Tyreke is arguably top 5 handles in the NBA and Rivers is arguably top 10-15.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Rivers is getting bigger http://instagram.com/p/rAKI-GKzVn/
    daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnnn

Who does he think he is, Derek Fisher?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    He's been adding videos for a few weeks now that you could tell he's adding muscle.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Great news, dude needs to stop getting pushed onto the ground when he's driving. Added mass will definitely help with that but I hope he works on his balance as well.

Glad he is working on his strength. I hope he is working on his mid-range just as much.

Thread Information